Lines

Putting together lines has always been one of my favorite things to do. I like to think I not only know more than other fans, but the coaches too. It's fun to discuss who you think would work best together. Problem for me is, as I have mentioned on another thread, I didn't give much of a **** last year. I watched a little bit and kept up in the papers and on talk radio, but I hate shortened seasons and was turned off. Plus, when I did tune in, I often found myself saying, "Who the hell is that?"

I'm not even sure who is under contract as far as some of the veterans go. Were Knuble and Gagne on 1-year deals?

Are the Flyers supposed to be "done" with free agents?

Do you put Vinny and Giroux together or do you split them up, put one with Voracek, the other with Simmonds, and fill in the gaps by throwing darts at a board? I can see wanting to split them up, but I feel like Giroux needs a higher caliber player to work with than just Simmonds or Voracek.

Giroux - Voracek - Simmonds

Vinny - Read - Hartnell

Couts - Schenn - Gagne (*)

Hall - Talbot - Rinaldo

That's how I'd line'm up. If Gags does not come back, I guess you move up Talbot and slot McGin on that 4th line.

• Like 1

L - C - R

Hartnell - VLC - Giroux

Simmonds - Schenn - Voracek

Read - Couturier - Laughton

(warm body) - Talbot - RInaldo

It's never the way the team will go, but that's what I'd take a shot on.

Would rather put Gags on that third line over Laughton (if he signs)

I'm just presuming that Laughton will be on the squad,

I would go with Rad's lines except for flipping Simmonds and Hartnell. I would also put McGinn in the warm body slot. Laughton only gets to stay if he can be slotted on the third line or higher. I like him there now with Coots and Read as that is basically a second second line. Laughton would benefit more from playing one more year in jrs as opposed to burning a year as a 4th liner. If they sign Gagne to a one year deal, Laughton should stay in jrs instead of burning a year on the 4th line......With injuries you never know though.....

1) Didn't G and Voracek have good chemistry last year?? I don't know why you'd split them up.

2) Am I crazy or did we not resign Adam Hall?

3) I don't think Hartnell can keep up with a top 2 line anymore

• Like 1

1) Didn't G and Voracek have good chemistry last year?? I don't know why you'd split them up.

IMO, the "chemistry" angle was overblown a bit, but that is just an opinion. I think both of them are good enough players that they don't require each other. My vision of the first line is VLC playing the #1 C he's always been, Giroux being a "Forsbergian" playmaking winger (as he was in Junior) and Hartnell being in the crease collecting the garbage.

I'd rather have someone else (Gagne) on the third line. I think that would give them three real good depth scoring lines. Could certainly leave Laughton in Juniors, just don't see the Flyers doing that.

2) Am I crazy or did we not resign Adam Hall?

They did sign Hall. I hope he likes Adirondack :)

3) I don't think Hartnell can keep up with a top 2 line anymore

I don't see any way that Hartnell isn't going to be a top 2 line player for the Flyers for at least the next four years - barring the team admitting his extension was yet another ridiculously stupid move by Homer. Always possible...

Otherwise, you're stuck with a $4.75M 3/4 liner for the next six years...

I might also say that I think that the first line Hartnell-VLC-Giroux also has the benefit - if it gels - of being signed for the next five years. I think it can be a pretty devastating line with Hartnell as the Mikael Renberg of the group - if you will...

Why can't G play his off wing like Jake does and have LC in between them. Hartnell with Schenn and Simmonds could be a tough line to play against, possibly weak in their own zone though. I've always thought Read helped Coot's game. Not sure who plays with them but I'd like a more offensive threat than Gagne. Maybe even Rinaldo if he continues to impress.

I might also say that I think that the first line Hartnell-VLC-Giroux also has the benefit - if it gels - of being signed for the next five years. I think it can be a pretty devastating line with Hartnell as the Mikael Renberg of the group - if you will...

I think they'll start Hartnell on the line with Giroux and Vorachek, second line will be Vinny with Simmonds and Schenn. 3rd line will be Couts with Read and Gagne (if he resigns) and Hall centering Talbot and some one else.

I think they'll start Hartnell on the line with Giroux and Vorachek, second line will be Vinny with Simmonds and Schenn. 3rd line will be Couts with Read and Gagne (if he resigns) and Hall centering Talbot and some one else.

I think that's what they will do as well.

It's not what I would do, but it's likely what they will do.

:)

I'm just presuming that Laughton will be on the squad

If he is slated for the top 9 he can stay, however cap reason may be sent back to juniors, Gagne signing will impact too but a good read....

Scott Laughton is Ready to Stay in Philadelphia

http://thehockeywriters.com/scott-laughton-is-ready-to-stay-in-philadelphia/?utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffer66bdf

At the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, the Philadelphia Flyers were the twentieth team to take the stage at the Consol Energy Center. The Flyers, a team which historically has drafted well under Paul Holmgren, selected Scott Laughton from the Oshawa Generals of the Ontario Hockey League.

Like Sean Couturier, the Flyers’ first-round selection in 2011, Laughton is not a flashy player. He is a two-way forward whose primary skills are on the defensive side of the game. A scouting report projects that Laughton “should be an effective third-line player with some potential for second-line duty.”

At the conclusion of the third lockout under Gary Bettman, Scott Laughton signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Flyers. With his goal being to remain in Philadelphia, the rookie reported to training camp. There, he impressed the organization with his leadership and efficacious style of play. Having opened some eyes, Laughton earned a spot on the Flyers’ roster.

Scott Laughton made his National Hockey League debut in front of a hometown crowd, one that had been deprived of hockey for over seven months. Following that loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins, Laughton would play just four more games with the Flyers. The club made the decision to return the 19-year old center to his junior team before his entry-level contract would kick in.

Head coach Peter Laviolette said that Laughton “didn’t look out of place” in his short stint with the Flyers. He was correct.

Despite the fact that he was held scoreless, Laughton held his own in his five-game trial. The two-way, power forward registered ten shots on net and ten hits. He averaged over eleven and a half minutes of ice time and about fifteen shifts each game. Laughton won 43-percent of his face-offs and had an even rating over the course of those five games.

Following his return to the Oshawa Generals, Scott Laughton scored 23 goals and added 33 assists in 49 games. He led his team to the playoffs, in which his performance was very impressive. Laughton totaled thirteen points in his team’s seven-game playoff run.

At the conclusion of the season, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren seemed quite optimistic about Scott Laughton’s future. He believes that Laughton will be ready to compete for a full-time roster spot. “That wouldn’t surprise me,” Holmgren said. “He dominated at his level at times. And that’s encouraging.”

Is Scott Laughton ready to become a regular on the Flyers’ line-up for the 2013-14 season? Based on his strong play during his time in Philadelphia and his dominant performance in the Ontario Hockey League, the answer is yes.

Should the former first-round pick in 2012 make the team, as is expected, he will likely center the fourth line. Max Talbot, the usual center of that line, can be moved to the wing, and Adam Hall can be utilized as a depth player.

The Philadelphia Flyers have great organizational depth at the center position. Some believe that will hinder Laughton’s chances of staying with the team. However, based on his impressive performances both with the Flyers and the Generals, Laughton has proved that he is ready to stay in Philadelphia. A fourth-line role with the Flyers would be beneficial for his continued development.

All is subject to change if they can't/won't move Mezz though.

L - C - R

Hartnell - VLC - Giroux

Simmonds - Schenn - Voracek

Read - Couturier - Laughton

(warm body) - Talbot - RInaldo

It's never the way the team will go, but that's what I'd take a shot on.

Would rather put Gags on that third line over Laughton (if he signs)

I'm just presuming that Laughton will be on the squad,

I think you're the only one who put Vinny and Giroux together. Interesting. You think that leaves enough scoring punch for the 2nd line, especially since you have Hartnell there too?

I think you're the only one who put Vinny and Giroux together. Interesting. You think that leaves enough scoring punch for the 2nd line, especially since you have Hartnell there too?

The question mark is the center - but by most accounts Schenn is ready to take a step forward. I think Simmonds and Voracek have taken that step and that the three of them can take a few steps together.

The question mark is the center - but by most accounts Schenn is ready to take a step forward. I think Simmonds and Voracek have taken that step and that the three of them can take a few steps together.

It's a lot of youth on one line and youth that isn't really at a certain level yet (like maybe Giroux), but I can see the appeal of playing him with Vinny. I think it could benefit the both of them to be honest. I have wanted a bigger guy with Giroux for a while and a smaller, fast, skilled guy might benefit ole Vinny.

It's a lot of youth on one line and youth that isn't really at a certain level yet (like maybe Giroux), but I can see the appeal of playing him with Vinny. I think it could benefit the both of them to be honest. I have wanted a bigger guy with Giroux for a while and a smaller, fast, skilled guy might benefit ole Vinny.

My main thought in giving it a shot is that all three are signed long term and if it works out - chemistry, etc. - the upside seems huge. It also solves the problem of where to put Hartnell :)

The comparison I make is with Jagr. VLC doesn't have all of Jagr's puckhandling, etc. ability, but there is enough there that I do think he could be "Giroux's Jagr" for the next 3-4 years.

My main thought in giving it a shot is that all three are signed long term and if it works out - chemistry, etc. - the upside seems huge. It also solves the problem of where to put Hartnell :)

The comparison I make is with Jagr. VLC doesn't have all of Jagr's puckhandling, etc. ability, but there is enough there that I do think he could be "Giroux's Jagr" for the next 3-4 years.

I can see what your thinking, though if they don't score in the first 5 minutes of the first pre-season game, they'll be broken up. Why is it that we seem to have several coaches in a row now who juggle lines....like a lot?

I can see what your thinking, though if they don't score in the first 5 minutes of the first pre-season game, they'll be broken up. Why is it that we seem to have several coaches in a row now who juggle lines....like a lot?

It has been a few coaches in a row that love to tinker. Lavi does it enough it's maddening, and really hurts in the end. There is a lack of continuity with the constant juggling. Unless the team is mired in a slump, I believe on keeping linemates together...Lavi seems to change them up just for the hell of it.

It has been a few coaches in a row that love to tinker. Lavi does it enough it's maddening, and really hurts in the end. There is a lack of continuity with the constant juggling. Unless the team is mired in a slump, I believe on keeping linemates together...Lavi seems to change them up just for the hell of it.

I remember thinking Hitchcock did it a lot, then Stevens came a long and he did it, and now Lavi. Is it like a thing now? Or have we just happened to have 3 guys who do it in a row?

My lines would be as follows:

Hartnell Giroux Vorachek

Schenn Vinny Simmonds

Read Couterier Gagne

Talbot Hall Rinaldo

Jake and CG had excellent chemistry last year. To me the key to the team's success this season is Hartnell. If he is in shape, healthy and on his game he should score 30 goals this season and the team does well. If he struggles like last year then it screws up all the line combinations putting someone CG's line

I think they will stick with moving Schenn to the wing and I really like that second line. They are big and physical and talented. I think Vinny thrives having two big, physical wingers who will drive to the net, collect rebounds and create more space for him.

This is where Vinny is a big help. By having him on the second line we have the potential for a defensively sound 3rd line that can contribute some scoring.

I remember thinking Hitchcock did it a lot, then Stevens came a long and he did it, and now Lavi. Is it like a thing now? Or have we just happened to have 3 guys who do it in a row?

It seems like the "set lines" have become somewhat out of vogue in the NHL - which is mystifying to me. The game's so much about chemistry and getting more out of your team than the sum of its parts suggest.

The tendency for coaches to swap lines on a moment's notice - I swear Hitchcock just has a bag of names he randomly pulls from - is disheartening as a fan.

It seems to be a growing trend, which sucks.