Broad Street Bullies 2 Cups Question.

Guest J0e Th0rnton

One of the great things about Clarke was his skating was suspect, he literally willed his legs to take him to where he had to go. He refused to let the fact that he was not born a great skater to hold him back. I loved that about him.

I am just trying to figure out if Macleish is an unsung hero and why Bill Barber gets into the Hall of fame and MacLeish does not. Do Flyer fans consider him an unsung hero?

I do, actually (consider him an unsung hero). He was actually my favorite players in those days. I think Barber gets the notoriety over MacLeish because of the career totals (also score 40 or more goals 5 times to MacLeish's 2) and because he was around slightly longer. Outside of that I really cannot explain it.

Maybe Barber lived in south jersey and MacLeish lived in Center City? Dunno.

I think Barber gets the notoriety over MacLeish because of the career totals (also score 40 or more goals 5 times to MacLeish's 2) and because he was around slightly longer. Outside of that I really cannot explain it.

Maybe Barber lived in south jersey and MacLeish lived in Center City? Dunno.

Nothing against MacLeish, but I would think better career totals, longer tenure with the team and better individual seasons are a good place to start...

Hmmm, Well for the hall of fame numbers.....(Should not be team specific). Bill Barber 12 seasons. 903 games played. 420g, 463a, 883Points RS, 129 Playoff games, 53g, 59a, 108 points 6GWG.

Rick MacLeish 13NHL seasons, 349 g, 410 a, 759 points. 114 playoff games, 54 g, 53 a, 107 points 11GWG.

MacLeish has 2 big years to Barber's 1, but Barber looks better if you look at 5 best seasons.

Honestly, I do not think either deserves the Hall of Fame since neither were ever going to be considered close to the best player in the league. but I am picky about the Hall of fame like that. I think it should be a more rare breed of superstar inducted.

Someone else will need to correct fading memory, but I didn't remember him in the PK/checking role. He was a beautiful skater, particularly for that time, and had some real offensive ability, but I didn't remember him being in that particular role. Like FC said, everyone on the Flyers in that period was defensively responsible (yes, except for Leach).

I think there is something to what FC said, too. But it wasn't just that Clarke was responsible for keeping others off the score sheet. Usually the opponent's best line was out to defend against the LCB. That left MacLeish to play against second best.

But you would think that would be the case, maybe to a lesser degree, in the regular season as well, so I'm not sure how far that goes to explaining why Macleish's numbers went up while Clarke's went down. I do think it comes down to the competition each line was facing, though.

MacLeish definitely played on the PK. Clarke generally got the toughest assignments (like shadowing Orr) but MacLeish was excellent defensively.

@J0e Th0rnton - MacLeish is definitely underrated by Flyers fans today. He really was an excellent all around player and he was definitely a big game player. Apart from what he did in the playoffs, he in the famous game the Flyers played against the Soviets he was arguably the best player on the ice for either team. He had all the talent in the world but he did tend to float a bit during the regular season. His team-mates tended to use the word "fog" when talking about him (Shero's nickname was also "Freddie the Fog", I guess fog was a popular descriptor back then).

I used to play pick up hockey at the U of Penn rink when the Flyers practiced there. After our game one day, MacLeish got out on the ice and stood at one blue line and started snapping wrist shots over the glass at the other end of the rink. Amazing. He's not HoF worthy, but if he had had Clarke's work ethic he would have been. Easily one of the most naturally talented players I've ever seen.

• Like 2

But since I was only 6 and 7 at the time, I don't recall matchups, etc and only have stats to go by so I can only venture to guess. I suppose one could point to Leach's drop off in the playoffs in 75, but it's hard to say in a chicken/egg kind of way. I guess I'll just go with "that's playoff hockey for ya."

You'd can always watch replays of the 3 playoff seasons where the flyers were trying to triple crown the cup.

You'd can always watch replays of the 3 playoff seasons where the flyers were trying to triple crown the cup.

I very very rarely watch taped hockey. When I do, it's usually for fights or some bizarre injury or something.

I very very rarely watch taped hockey. When I do, it's usually for fights or some bizarre injury or something.

They had a lot of fights and injuries in the 70s so you have your excuse now.

Get to it

The beauty of hockey analysis is hindsight