Hextall new Assistant GM

I never got to see him play, but my brother tells me he was passionate. I saw highlights of Stanley up with Edmonton , and understood what my brother was talking about. If he can apply the same passion to his new job, future can be bright.

I never got to see him play, but my brother tells me he was passionate. I saw highlights of Stanley up with Edmonton , and understood what my brother was talking about. If he can apply the same passion to his new job, future can be bright.

I moved to Philly early in '87, Hextall is the reason I became a Flyer fan.

• Like 1

I sure don't mind the Flyers taking Dean Lombardi's best guy away from him. Of course it seemed eventual, but Lombardi left the Flyers after the Flyers gave him a place to park after those above Lombardi at the Sharks ordered a "fire sale" and then blamed Lombardi for the "fire drill" of a mess the Sharks became. No problem; surely Lombardi helped the Flyers, but repaid their kindness by TAKING HEXTALL with him to the Kings. THANKS A LOT, dude! I give him credit for winning a Stanley Cup (and Hextall, too), but he picked a fine way to thank the Flyers for the port in the storm they gave Lombardi by yanking Hextall out the door with him.

As much as I like Ron, and think he has some great potential, there is a bit of a Stepford feel to this move.

Yes, but at least he stepped outside for some "fresh air." Maybe it's the best of both worlds--a Flyers hall of famer who watched a top-notch general manager in another organization go about his business. Clarke had a good bit of success with the North Stars and Panthers before returning (from exile). It didn't help Clarke that as the Flyers steamrolled the league in 1999, Lindros punctured his lung with his stick, and that Recchi overworked himself, Desjardins got the freakiest of thumb injuries, and Zhamnov disappeared as LeClair went looking for him in 2004--both of those teams had the "table set" by Clarke to win Cups. I know, I know, what's Matt Ellison doing now?

To those so upset about good ol boys network, who else qualified based on actual results would you rather have? Seriously, he's a solid candidate who happened to be a Flyer. Also with the churn on this team over the years, there aren't many who haven't been Flyers.

• Like 1

To those so upset about good ol boys network, who else qualified based on actual results would you rather have? Seriously, he's a solid candidate who happened to be a Flyer. Also with the churn on this team over the years, there aren't many who haven't been Flyers.

I don't really see a lot of people "upset" - expressing concern, perhaps or maybe just not kicking the heels up high enough doing jigs and reels.

Who knew who Jarmo Keklainen was before he was hired in Columbus? Certainly few in Columbus. Point here isn't that Keklainen is a great GM - he has good initial marks but still has a lot to prove - but can you even imagine the Flyers considering such a move?

I think there are valid questions:

1) Can Hextall do the job? (probably - I certainly believe he can)

2) Was Hextall the best choice available or the best former Flyer choice available? (hard to gauge)

3) Are those two necessarily mutually exclusive (no)

In the end, it smacks of the Flyers are still operating the "comfort zone" that they've been running since they were founded.

I hope it works out. I hope Hextall wins multiple Cups as Flyers GM. Quite frankly, I hope the Flyers play well enough so Homer keeps his job.

We'll see what happens.

Just read this article. First, let me say that I like the make up of this Flyers team as it currently is. I think we've done about as good as we can do this offseason to try to fill the holes. We've improved at many positions. Overall, in my opinion this is a better team. I'm content to let things stand, go into the season as is, and see where this team takes us.

That said, could we use a superstar defenseman, someone who could be that last piece of the puzzle? Sure. But at what cost to our young core? Not sure, given who we have in the development pipeline for defense, that that's the best way to go now.

Now having said THAT, I read with interest this article about the glut of d-men that LA is sitting on and how close to, in fact over, the cap they are. Speculation is they will be parting with one or more. With Hextall now here, we have an LA connection. He knows the players and personalities. Does he go after any of their d-men to shore up our corps? Do we even need to at this point? Do they have anyone we want?

From the article --- " What does this all mean? I think it's safe to say that at some point this summer we will see Lombardi orchestrate a trade to free up some cap space and reduce the number of defensemen on the team. Purely based on conjecture, I could see the Kings moving forward Jarret Stoll and his $3,250,000 plus Martinez and his $1.1 million for another forward."

Could that "another forward" be someone like Read? It may be tempting. Just wondering.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/los-angeles-kings-begin-offseason-loading-defensemen-000000603.html

• Like 1

I'd hold on to all assets unless a really good deal comes along. Including Read. I'd move one roster defenseman to free up the roster spot, contract count, and salary cap - but not as a favor to any other team/GM. The move isn't necessary, and shouldn't be forced. That's about it, unless an eye opener comes along.

• Like 3

I'd hold on to all assets unless a really good deal comes along. Including Read.

Completely agree doom... Right now is the time to sit back and take a breath. I think this Team has improved and the defense will be better than last year based on pure health alone. I still think the defense is below average but as we stand today I only consider a move if it were a true #1 d-man.

Otherwise... shed one of the defensive contracts to get cap compliant and start the season with the Team that is in place.

I'm not necessarily arguing against the point, but what exactly makes/made Hextall a good assistant in LA? I haven't followed the front office of the Kings that closely, but what do we know his responsibilities/accomplishments were that would differentiate him from whatever Lombardi did or directed?

Honestly asking because I really don't know.

I moved out of Philly in '89, but that '87 club created a monster fan.They will forever be my benchmark. Here's a great Led Zeppelin/rap tune on youtube showcasing some of Hextall's saves and antics.

Great vid...I'm ready for some fuggin hockey! I loved how Hextall would wield that stick as a weapon and f'd up anyone who thought about entering the crease.

Welcome Home Hexy!

I'm not necessarily arguing against the point, but what exactly makes/made Hextall a good assistant in LA? I haven't followed the front office of the Kings that closely, but what do we know his responsibilities/accomplishments were that would differentiate him from whatever Lombardi did or directed?

Honestly asking because I really don't know.

I like the idea he was there, watching Dean Lombardi make key moves that produced a Stanley Cup. That alone makes this signing a good one. If you are going to learn the GM business, leaning over Dean's shoulder is a GREAT way to spend your internship. The other very positive thing, Dean seems like he has a good grasp of the cap and how to put the team in a good leverage positon...another skill Ron picked up from one of the best. This invaluable experience can only help the Flyers, initallly in an advisory relationship with Homer....and on his own when the inevitable happens and he takes over for Homer.

I like the idea he was there, watching Dean Lombardi make key moves that produced a Stanley Cup. That alone makes this signing a good one. If you are going to learn the GM business, leaning over Dean's shoulder is a GREAT way to spend your internship. The other very positive thing, Dean seems like he has a good grasp of the cap and how to put the team in a good leverage positon...another skill Ron picked up from one of the best. This invaluable experience can only help the Flyers, initallly in an advisory relationship with Homer....and on his own when the inevitable happens and he takes over for Homer.

I agree with everything above, but this is slightly different than the "he did a great job" statement. This is more like "he HAD" a great job than DID a great job. Don't you think?

I like Hextall and I like this move. Just wondering what supports "DID a great job."

@ruxpin I honestly don't know rux. He didn't actually make the trades or moves, right...cause Dean was there? Before the LA gig, Hexy was a pro scout for the Flyers, so I also like the fact he's capable of judging the kids on his own, and then getting other scouts input.

He was also the GM of the Kings' AHL affilliate. They have apparently been fairly successful. I don't know what that means in the grand scheme of things though, since they're likely Lombardi's guys too. -shrug-

Not a whole lot of new info here, although this article seems to suggest that Homer brought Ron on board.

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

I put less credence in "NHL.com staff writers" than I do in "philadelphiaflyers.com reporters."

This, however, is classic

And the man responsible for bringing Hextall back to Philadelphia, where he spent 11 of his 13 seasons as NHL player and spent his first seven years as a front-office employee thinks that potentially could happen sooner rather than later.

"It could happen very soon. You never know," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said Monday. "It's a funny business these days and you never know what's going to happen."

Don't disagree, but Mr Snider was very clear. Bryz was a mistake. He was also very clear that while he was in the meetings, it was "Paul's" decision to sign him.

Personally, it's hard to argue with a guy that has mentored with one of the better GM's of the last several years. Lombardi built the Kings into a powerhouse, and they look to stay that way for the immediate future.

I'm sick of the old Flyers retread mentality they have as well, but in this case, I think they got a potential future GM, who happens to be an ex-Flyer.

Agree GG. Sad thing is that we had Lombardi here in Philly after he built an excellent reputation with the Sharks for building that team and we let him go.

A lot of people might think the Hextall move is more of the good ole boys network but Hexy was widely considered one of the best up and coming talent evaluators and architects of the minor league system and players.

Given the performance of the Phantoms the past couple of years and continually ranking in the bottom of the prospects pool, if Hexy improves those areas without ever being GM or making a trade he will be worth it.

• Like 1

@DaGreatGazoo

I get your point, but doubt Homer would hire him to put pressure on himself. More of the old boys club, that's all.

FC, eventhough I agree with you regarding more of the old boys club, Hextall is different when it comes to Philly management. The biggest thing is he was trained under Clarke or Holmgren so he has a different perspective on managing. Another plus is he is a former Flyer who understands how Ed Snider thinks and how the fanbase is. I think he'd do well as a replacement for Holmgren down the road. Hopefully the Flyers will allow him to rebuild the farm system for the Phantoms.