Bourdon's Progress?

Guest OH1FlyersFan

Not very encouraging. He must have taken a heck of a shot. Glad there's been some improvement but it's been a slow recovery which isn't a good sign. I know these things may take years to get over, that it's better to go slow and be safe rather than sorry, but, when you read between the lines, this doesn't bode well. I worry that he'll have lingering issues and the next big hit he takes after being cleared to play will put him right back on the injury list or end his career. He's a decent D-man and was coming along nicely, but if the D plans are so crowded, wouldn't now be a good time to cut bait with MAB? There's a good chance he'll never be the same. Yet another reason to do what is necessary to shore up the defense now. Glad that the franchise went that direction in the draft, acquire and develop young talent, but (and I'm stating the obvious to you guys) there's much more work to be done.

Mez is another concern. He and MAB go down again and we're left with a not-so-crowded plan for defense and then we have to scramble to fix the problem mid season. Maybe there's something else yet to come in the off season.

“I’m not there yet, but I’m getting there,” Bourdon said. “I’m much better and moving in the right direction. The doctors are optimistic.” Bourdon said his headaches have gone away and that his eyesight is improving. He said he has some blurred vision “maybe 10 percent” of the time, but that it has improved dramatically from when he was injured.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Recovering-Bourdon-in-Flyers-crowded-D-plans.html

I hope the best for Bourdon, but I wasn't as impressed as most on here. I do think he has potential and want to write off some of what I saw as "young kid defenseman" mistakes, but when he was up he started out well and then just started playing extremely dumb.

Again, it could have just been a young kid who needed to continue to learn the game. Hopefully, his health will allow him the opportunity to prove that's the case.

Honestly, even if healthy I don't think MAB is on the big club, assuming everyone (except Pronger) is ready to go:

Timonen

Coburn

Streit

Meszaros

Grossmann

Schenn

Gustafsson

Are the top 7, IMO. Lauridsen comes next. Then MAB. More than that, and really any team would be worrying.

• Like 2

That would be my depth chart as well, AJ.

Can't agree with it give me Kimmo # 1 and Schenn # 2 Coburn # 3 Gus # 4 Streit # 5 GrossmanN # 6 Mezz # 7-trade Gervais # 8 waived hide on the Phantoms...Ollie #8...

....really first callup......MAB # 9 Alt # 10

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor

I agree. I wasn't really looking at the order of the top 6--kind of assumed that part was random, but perhaps a bad assumption.

Yeah, I think your order would be closer to mine as far as the top 6/7 go. Although, I might personally put Streit and Grossman above Coburn, just because i really don't appreciate what Coburn does.

He is my whipping boy and you can't have him!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can have him. He hasn't exactly reached whipping boy status for me. I'm just not that impressed and have to comment when people seem to indicate he's better than he is.

He hasn't exactly reached whipping boy status for me.

Wonder if i will give him a break a jump to Carle lite Streit.

Because when Carle was here his defense made me so mad i guess because i knew he was capable, it was just his consistent effort wasn't there and i'm not singling him out....he was not alone at times.

But sometimes as human we fixate on one person sometimes and every little thing they did wrong it's not fair just reality...and well Carle was mine.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

I liked Carle.

I could very quickly be there with you with Coburn if he continues to play like he did last year (and for long stretches at other times). The problem with Coburn--and it's similar to what you said about Carle--is that when he plays well, he plays VERY well. I'm not on him for not being more physical despite his size. If it's not in him constitutionally, it's just not. I think he probably should shoot more. In the very least you'd think of the 1000 shins he hits he could at least take someone out. He can be positionally very sound and he does skate well. But for long stretches (the 2013 season among others) he forgets how to do all of it.

I do think there's something to the theory that he is better off on the 2nd or 3rd pairing where he's supposed to be the stay-home guy rather than the offense guy. But in that situation and he's a very serviceable defenseman.

@OccamsRazor

I agree. I wasn't really looking at the order of the top 6--kind of assumed that part was random, but perhaps a bad assumption.

Yeah, I think your order would be closer to mine as far as the top 6/7 go. Although, I might personally put Streit and Grossman above Coburn, just because i really don't appreciate what Coburn does.

Yeah, I just threw out the top 7 as I remembered names. It's about how I would go...

I'm not on him for not being more physical despite his size.

See i am...i'm not talking about Kronwall like hits.....trying separate someones head from their body stuff....i'm talking about leaning into someone, standing your ground, not getting shoved the eff out the way type physical play.

Keeping your eye on the puck know where your man is and stop putting your frigging back to it jezus h. christ???????????

Morin is the best skating "stay at home" Dmen i have ever seen at such a young age and size...hell he can show Coburn a thing or too about playing tougher...in a year or too if Coburn is still here then...

i'm talking about leaning into someone, standing your ground, not getting shoved the eff out the way type physical play.

Yes, this. I was referring to the Kronwall-like hits or even Pronger nasty. But yeah, he's like a basketball center who doesn't know to box out.

Honestly, even if healthy I don't think MAB is on the big club, assuming everyone (except Pronger) is ready to go:

Timonen

Coburn

Streit

Meszaros

Grossmann

Schenn

Gustafsson

Are the top 7, IMO. Lauridsen comes next. Then MAB. More than that, and really any team would be worrying.

I'd send Gus down if that's the lineup and use Gervais at 7. Except if someone gets injured, I call up Gus instead if playing Gervais. He's flight delay insurance.

I'd put Gus and MAB in the A to get top line minutes, with Alt and Lauridsen at 3/4, and Manning at 5. The rest can fight for 6/7 on the Phantoms, or if actually valuable, top pair minutes in the ECHL.

Here's an interesting twist. Flyers looking at Pietrangelo? Does that mean Coburn or one of our forwards goes? Lyle Richardson reported the following yesterday -- this is all from the article in the Hockey News:

The Flyers are reportedly watching defenseman

Pietrangelo, 23, made the NHL’s second all-star team in 2012 and is considered among the best defensemen in the league. He's coming off an entry-level contract that paid him more than $3-million per season in base salary and bonuses and could seek an eight-year deal that doubles his old salary.

With the Blues inking Derek Roy to a one-year, $4-million contract on Saturday, they have only about $7.85 million in cap space.

GM Doug Armstrong told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he believes he can get Pietrangelo, Chris Stewart and goalie Jake Allen “under the umbrella,” but that won't happen without shedding some salary.

<a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.stltoday....84ab88ae6.html" href="http://www.stltoday....84ab88ae6.html" target="_blank rel=" external"="" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; color: rgb(226, 0, 26); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12.666666984558105px;">Armstrong acknowledged the possibility he may have to move some bodies around, claiming the Blues have “very valuable pieces” that shouldn't be difficult to move.

Armstrong may be referring to David Perron (cap hit of $3.8 million), T.J. Oshie ($4.17 million) and Jaroslav Halak ($3.75 million) – players who have been mentioned in recent trade rumors.

As for the possibility of Pietrangelo becoming an offer sheet target, Armstrong has already warned his fellow GMs the Blues will match any offer.

Edit: Here's the link. That's cleaner than my cut and paste job. http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/52763-Three-teams-looking-for-defense.html

Edited by OH1FlyersFan