Better on paper young core intact

Guest mojo1917

It's a fair point, rad. Though it wasn't a move just because they could "willy-nilly." The offense lost something after Jagr left, and they had an opportunity to sign the best offensive option available at neither a high cost in terms of cap hit nor tradable assets. A comparable hockey move, I suppose, is when teams on playoff runs add a big piece even if the need doesn't demand it (Iginla & Jagr last season, for example). Granted, neither worked, but also no one would criticize those moves, and deadline deals come at expense of those assets. I think the Phillies' commendable signing of Cliff Lee (for less money I think than was offered him by Texas or NYY) was similar to the VLC signing.

Jagr left because the team didn't even make him an offer - they said "wait here and if we don't sign Parise, we'll get back to you."

Oddly enough, that didn't work for the future Hall of Famer. The point here is that they could have had Jagr and chose instead to go after Parise - a plyer who was on record saying he had no desire to come to Philadelphia.

I use "willy-nilly" this year because there was absolutely no way the Flyers could have targeted Lecavalier as a "top six forward" until he was bought out and they had no way of knowing he would be bought out (compliance buyouts also next year). It's not like in April they had a plan to target VLC, VLC became available and suddenly the "Flyers have interest." And that's the way they operate and that's the problem I have.

Does it work? Well, I'd just say "it hasn't" in terms of producing a championship. But we'll always have Danny Markov's run to the Final and the memories of Michael Leighton's work in the Final as well, so we've got that going for us.

I would also put the Lee/Halliday signings in a similar vein - the Phillies got booted from the playoffs two years in a row because their bats failed and the GMs response was to... add pitching.

How's that working out for them?

Three games below .500, 7.5 back in the East, 7.5 back in the Wild Card.

Homer has really done well this offseason, IMO.

Agreed. But, blind squirrels have a tendency to come across nuts - especially when their boss has enough money to buy gigantic nut farms.

Guy made the worst signing in the history of the franchise and then we had to lose half a season of hockey so he could get out from under it.

But he made a good move this year, so, you know, water under the bridge, right?

I'm just waiting for the next Bryzgalov to fall, because given the track record, we know there will be one.

No, VLC, is probably not it.

In the UFA world, the best move you make can be the move you don't make.

Yes and sometimes you sign someone to keep from having to play against him on a rival...strategy is still part of the game even during the off season...

Yes and sometimes you sign someone to keep from having to play against him on a rival...strategy is still part of the game even during the off season...

Sure, so what happens next year with the second round of compliance buyouts?

Flyers decide to pursue [insert FA name here] to keep them away from the Rangers/Devils/Red Wings/Penguins?

Next year there's Gaborik, Vanek, Heatley, Thornton, Marleau, Stastny, the Sedins, Kessel, Pominville, Bergeron...

Then in 2015, there's Spezza, Toews, Kane, Green, St. Louis, Ryan...

Who's going to keep them from signing elsewhere?

There's "strategy" and there are "tactics." Signing a guy to keep him from somewhere else is a tactic. Signing a guy because he's part of a long term plan is a "strategy".

Reworking the long term plan today because a guy got bought out yesterday is "reactionary."

Again, I think the VLC deal is and will be fine for the duration of it. I think he took somewhat of a discount to come here. I think he has the potential to make the team better. Sure, he's flying without a Catamount for the first time ever, but I think he can overcome that.

Did I mention that MSL is a UFA in 2015? :)

Not worried about next year...we're worrying about this year coming up we'll worry about crossing that bridge when we come to it.

We're not promised tomorrow so i want waste a lot of time worrying about it...i'm done with this schitt...i can't make them change their ways but i can mine......eff it.

I understand everyone worrying about the future...but for now i'm just worried about now...just can't do this no more but please don't let me get in the way of all you guys debates and discussions...i just don't type fast and am tired of beating this goddamn hose to death year after year 2nd guessing every move they make, cause lets face it sometimes i don't even know if they have a plan and they may not....

Not worried about next year...we're worrying about this year coming up we'll worry about crossing that bridge when we come to it.

We're not promised tomorrow so i want waste a lot of time worrying about it...i'm done with this schitt...i can't make them change their ways but i can mine......eff it.

Perfectly reasonable way to deal with it, Occ.

Still a few months to training camp :)

Perfectly reasonable way to deal with it, Occ.

Still a few months to training camp :)

I mean really you guys are preaching to choir i just want a Cup before i die...i know the front office is trying all they can we all just most times aren't happy with how they draw their plan (assuming there is one) then execute it...and sometimes i'm in favor of executing Homer!!!!

Go Flyers!!

• Like 2

Flyers decide to pursue [insert FA name here] to keep them away from the Rangers/Devils/Red Wings/Penguins?

Next year there's Gaborik, Vanek, Heatley, Thornton, Marleau, Stastny, the Sedins, Kessel, Pominville, Bergeron...

Then in 2015, there's Spezza, Toews, Kane, Green, St. Louis, Ryan...

Who's going to keep them from signing elsewhere?

There's "strategy" and there are "tactics." Signing a guy to keep him from somewhere else is a tactic. Signing a guy because he's part of a long term plan is a "strategy".

Reworking the long term plan today because a guy got bought out yesterday is "reactionary."

Again, I think the VLC deal is and will be fine for the duration of it. I think he took somewhat of a discount to come here. I think he has the potential to make the team better. Sure, he's flying without a Catamount for the first time ever, but I think he can overcome that.

Did I mention that MSL is a UFA in 2015? :)

Bravo. *Very* eloquently stated. There's a part of me which would sell my soul (my liver is living testament) for a Cup next season, future seasons be damned. Then, there's the other part that speaks exactly what you and quite a few of our members do. I'm the choir and am *selectively* deaf.

Edited by Illflyaway

Amazing that Toronto is *still* paying Darcy Tucker, and ditto for the NYI and Yashin....wow, this is dragging out, huh? Darcy payment is done after this year, but think Yashin is till years away from coming off the cap.