Thoughts in Emery, Giroux and Vinny Deals

Guest King Knut

@aziz I just remain firm on these top 4 in the past draft, all of the forwards will be 100 pt guys, not a flop in the mix, they are all highly skilled and just as important, ELITE skaters. This draft was not like others, time eventually will prove it the best ever.

changed for 6 to 4 to convey my actual thoughts on the matter- jammer2

Edited by jammer2

I just remain firm on these top 6 in the past draft, all of the forwards will be 100 pt guys

i am interested to see how it plays out. even the currently accepted "best draft ever" doesn't have a single first round guy hitting 100pts with any regularity.

@radoran

You're doing it wrong. You don't agree to lose over lunch, you agree you won't be upset about it if you do. THAT is the key. You pretty much say the same thing 75% of the Flyers fans on this board said last year except you do it while eating something. ;) Carry on! lol

• Like 1

@aziz Time will tell, but I feel very strongly about this draft re-writing the balance of power in the NHL.

And we had to go and screw ourselves out of a top 5 pick, didn't we???

As much as this *projects* to be one of the top draft classes, there *will* be busts. Guaranteed. Some guys who you think right now will be top flight NHLers will be busts. It happens every year.

MacKinnon and Drouin are probably the most sure-thing guys.

Right?

I mean I'm all for playing for pride and giving it the old college try... but those last few wins at the end screwed us out of Nurse or Jones at the least.

I was also pretty convinced most of those wins were against teams that were dogging it because they knew they were in the playoffs or teams that were dogging it because they didn't want to get bumped from the top 7 picks.

I'm not saying throw games like the Nordiques did to get Lindros or like the Sens did to get Yashin (that worked out well)... but come on... when it's a hollow victory against another team smart enough not to give a crap at that point...

whatever.

And we had to go and screw ourselves out of a top 5 pick, didn't we???

Losing to secure a pick sets a bad example and creates a poor mind set for young players who have talent .

I don't care that it cost us player X there is no guarantee that out side of the top 4 that any of them will be better than our guy. We weren't going to get into that top spot through the team's play and making a trade would have been too costly... Nurse, Ristolienen whatever, some guy in the NCAA we haven't heard of might be better than all these guys.

**** losing.

The Emery signing was a good deal for Philly. If he plays well he'll earn a bigger payday. If he doesn't he's gone, no harm no foul. I honestly don't get the plus of this for Emery, unless he just wants to start. If that's it, good on him.

I like the LeCavalier contract as much as I liked the Briere, Pronger and Bryzgalov ones. And so will everyone else in years 4 and 5.

Girouxs- not a big fan of contracts that long. I guess that's the way the league is going (thanks in part, and a big one, to Homers stupidity) I also think he's overpaid. If he's getting 8 years, I felt somewhere in the $7- 7.5 area was plenty. Giroux is very good. But he's not a superstar. Homer pays for potential, he's got to stop doing that.

Couldn't agree more!

There is not one guy on this team that's irreplaceable - including giroux.

There is not one guy on this team that's irreplaceable - including giroux.

Speaking of... When does G's NMC kick in? Is it after next season or this season? Just expecting Homer to trade him before they tie the knot on the long term committment...

@ Murraycraven

Don't know the details on that new contract. All I know it's too much. He's two concussions away from an obsolete contract. Is that pessimistic for ya?

Don't get me wrong, appreciate his game, but I don't think he's a star.

@ Murraycraven

Don't know the details on that new contract. All I know it's too much. He's two concussions away from an obsolete contract. Is that pessimistic for ya?

Don't get me wrong, appreciate his game, but I don't think he's a star.

Man... that is pretty pessimistic Q! I think he is a 2nd tier "star" and I am shocked the Flyers comitted that much to him. He is not in the Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos league of players but he is a top 10-15 player in the league.

Look at Crosby's contract - both length and cap hit. He is as close to having his eggs permanently scrambled as anyone.

Edited by murraycraven

I personally think the Flyers management met at lunch and said "Listen boys... there are what? 9? 10 games left of the season? Let's not go out and throw the games or ask our players to do anything like that... but... really... we won't be too upset if we lose either."

Just a hunch... :ph34r: