Emery to Philly | 1 year / $1.65M

Guest Jmdodgesrt4

You don't make the playoffs without a legit back up, the playoff are made or missed on a few paultry pts every year. This signing gives me hope we can now make the playoffs. This is real good news!!!

Soooo, Homer wowed him with an offer so big, everyone else does not even get a shot??

Something fishy here???

I don't know how much he wants...he just got paid 1.1 so i'd offer what Mason is making 1.5mill.

The Hawks have Raanta signed for 1.4...that is a lot for someone never having played in the NHL.

@Bakanekimiwa Homer *must* have done something stupid here, why else would Emery just stop shopping himself. Sure it might be a pefect fit as far as potential playing time, but my gut tells me either the term or money will be out of whack. This should be a 2 year deal tops.....geez.

Sounds to me like Homer wants to keep the future set aside for Stolarz, otherwise he would be looking for a longer-term type of deal for a better goalie.

If Mason or Emery pan out? Great! If not, Stolarz is in the wings.

Sounds to me like Homer wants to keep the future set aside for Stolarz, otherwise he would be looking for a longer-term type of deal for a better goalie.

If Mason or Emery pan out? Great! If not, Stolarz is in the wings.

That is a scary thought, there is a real chance Stolarz could be a major bust. Way to early to say that, but his playoff and Memorial Cup starts were pretty bad....and this is on one of the best teams in junior hockey. He just had to be respectable to win it all, and he was anything but.

• Like 1

No way he signs for the same as mason (1.5 or whatever). Emery had alot to prove once he came back to the NHL from Russia and he has proven himself with us and Chicago.

It's going to be a 3.2 mil caphit for 3 years, something along those lines. Homer will overpay. Too much in my opinion.

Emery has one good year... This past one. He never impressed me, and you better hope you don't start him against the Pens. He has yet to post a GAA lower than 3.00 against us in any but one season where he only played one game against (2.77 GAA).

I'm surprised to see some of you talk so highly of him. I get that he's a lifetime 2.6 kind of guy, but I've always thought of him as AHL material.

@Polaris922

Goalie 1 .910 career save percentage, 2.66 GAA

Goalie 2 .908 career save percentage, 2.63 GAA

Pretty close, huh?

Goalie 1 is Marc Andre Fleury

Goalie 2 is Ray Emery

We think highly of him because he'e already been a Flyer, we know what we are getting.

• Like 1

@Polaris922

Pretty close, huh?

Goalie 2 is Ray Emery

We think highly of him because he'e already been a Flyer, we know what we are getting.

And when I think highly of Fleury maybe I'll agree with you. Lol

• Like 3

I would love to have Razor back. He played well with the Flyers in his return to the NHL prior to his injury and was fantastic last season. I think we are much better off this season with a randem of Mason and Emery than we were last year with Bryz and Leighton.

• Like 2

@Bakanekimiwa Homer *must* have done something stupid here, why else would Emery just stop shopping himself. Sure it might be a pefect fit as far as potential playing time, but my gut tells me either the term or money will be out of whack. This should be a 2 year deal tops.....geez.

I don't think he stopped shopping himself... he just liked the Flyers "offer" and situation best, I guess (though nothing is official yet, so it could change).

In any other year, I'd agree with you that it seems a little fishy. But because pending UFAs this year were allowed to talk to teams BEFORE the UFA period (i.e. today), you'll probably see signings very quickly today. Teams are technically not allowed to make an offer... but we all know there are sneaky ways around that. If the NHL warned teams, then they must have evidence that all was not necessarily kosher.

So, pending UFAs can already talk to teams to gauge interest, but cannot receive offers.

Bought out players can talk to teams from the moment they're officially bought out, and can receive offers, but cannot sign them until today (LeCavalier, Briere, etc).

What a weird mess it is this year.

Emery has one good year... This past one. He never impressed me, and you better hope you don't start him against the Pens. He has yet to post a GAA lower than 3.00 against us in any but one season where he only played one game against (2.77 GAA).

I'm surprised to see some of you talk so highly of him. I get that he's a lifetime 2.6 kind of guy, but I've always thought of him as AHL material.

I like him precisely for these reasons. He's good enough to be a backup, but probably not good enough to be a *real* upgrade over Bryzgalov (barring his phenomenal numbers from last season). So, that means they're really giving Mason a shot at being #1 again. If he falters, Ray is good enough to bail him out.

If they brought in someone like Halak or Thomas, those guys expect to be starters, and they'd be paid like one. Chances are in that scenario that we wouldn't really get a full look at Mason.

• Like 1

@Polaris922

Pretty close, huh?

Goalie 2 is Ray Emery

If he is like Fleury, why in the world do we want him???

• Like 1

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger 5 Jul

Expect Emery to sign with Flyers. Expect a 1 yr deal. Strategic move to establish starter role and bigger $$ down the road.

Retweeted by Tim Panaccio

I think it is a smart move by both parties from an organizational move. Laviolette will be playing the hot goalie card.

I think it is a smart move by both parties from an organizational move. Laviolette will be playing the hot goalie card.

I agree it is a solid move. Flyers got emery back into the NHL and another chance. I don't care what cruddy penguins think because flury stinks