Development Camp 2013

Guest hf101

Tyler Leier is a player I am curious about

Really then here...

http://flyers.nhl.co...=rss-sanfilippo

“I’m kind of taking it easy here [at Development Camp],” Leier said. “Lappy and the trainers have told me to take it easy. I feel fine, but I’m not going to do any battle drills or anything. It’s July. I don’t want to catch an errant elbow to the jaw or something, and then all of the sudden I have a recurrence of the concussion. I don’t want that to happen.”

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor

I am assuming he will go back for at least one more year. I am not an expert on the age issue in regard to players being able to leave for the A. He will most likely have a greater role with the offense next season with players like Rattie moving on. The kid is a gamer with a great IQ and hockey sense. Sucked that he got knocked out of the Memorial Cup. He would have made a huge difference in that game.

@beachflyer

He would need to be pretty awesome to break into the flyers line up at C ...we are deep there . And that is not even considering his game and it's weaknesses.

Jammer has likely seen him play in junior.

Edited by mojo1917

@mojo1917 Ya know what Mojo, I have not been getting to games as much as I'd like to....never saw Cousins at all last year, only the once the year before...but have watched him 3-4 times on my OHL Action Pack. I'm with fc on this one, his looks like he has good moves and all, but his skating does not jump out at me....and if you're not a terrific skater in the OHL, which he is not, the road to the NHL is long tough one. I just don't know if his skill set will translate well to the NHL game. I have my questions about him. He will eventually get his shot, but how he skates will tell the tale.

Perhaps he can improve through power skating, get that first step quicker. He's not slow, but was just slightly above average at the OHL level. More often than not, that means the kid will encounter problems keeping up.

He's not slow, but was just slightly above average at the OHL level.

I'm not sure how good the USHL is talent wise but Fredric Larsson is coming over to play in the USHL.

So this will help his transition to the NA smoother...so after this season i'd expect him on the Phantoms at least.

But this is a good decision to help improve his game. I wish Valeri Vasiliev would do the same. The KHL isn't the same as NA that is for sure style wise.

Camp video...

Man Flyers have found some true gems in this past draft can't wait till they can dress for the Orange and Black till then we can dream...

good stuff. thanks for posting. Did not realize how tall Stolarz is. should we name him the stork! ;) Except for that one goal Chubak let in...he looks a bit more quicker and agile on skates than Stolarz...I'm anxious to see both Haag and Morin in some preseason games.

I wonder if Homer would put Cousin's back in the OHL for his overage season if was in a tight spot with the 50 contracts. As soon as they go back to the CHL, the player does not count against he 50 max contracts. Not the best case scenario, Cousins is one of the top forward propects the Flyers have, so it would not be an ideal situation having him in the OHL rather a rookie in the AHL. They would have less control of his development. The biggest part is having his game stagnated, he has accomplihsed everything he can in the OHL, he needs to move on to keep his game progressing, play against bigger and faster opponents. Nevertheless, it's an option if a real crunch happens with the 50 contracts. Barring a wicked training camp, I expect the same thing to happen to Laughton, so that would be 2 freed up contracts if they chose to do so...3 if Lieir goes back to the WHL.

I'm anxious

Just to see some Flyer hockey that counts i kind of feel lucky i guess from getting out from under Bryz's contact...and adding Vinny and Streit....ok.

But i would have been ok buying out Bryz and keeping Danny one more season if for nothing else benefit of the doubt of Danny's wrist injury...however i may be alone or not the popular decision so i'm ok with getting rid of Bryz...

...Vinny and Streit i'll give a chance...

....look at this point i never EVER EVER thought i'd be ok for a second of Jagr in Orange and Black but i did mostly....till playoffs when he is spent. :D

I wonder if Homer would put Cousin's back in the OHL for his overage season if was in a tight spot with the 50 contracts

That my friend is a hell of a good idea...and i hadn't even thought of that.

You need to phone Homer immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But like you said it could be bad for his mental development...they need to may the best call for the team too. Hard one.

Are there examples of where you ever heard someone say "well he was doing good till he spent one too many years in juniors and it screwed him up now he's just garbage"???

I don't. Not saying there is not just that i'm not aware of them.

@OccamsRazor I don't think it would be necessarily bad for Cousins, just think it would deter him from evolving as a player. I'd like to see him challanged playing against faster, tougher players. If he is going to take the next step eventually, it will not help him playing against 16, 17 and 18 year old d men. A lot of the moves that work against those kids would be tossed aside like yesterday's leftovers when compared to AHL d-men.

I believe Cousins turns 20 later in July making him eligible for the Phantoms.

Yes he is we we're just discussing sending him back to juniors so his contract could slide like Stolarz and Laughton for signing space roster spot (50)...not saying he should just the idea of it. I to think maybe he is best served on the Phantoms too.

The cut off date for eligibility is September 15th.

ok. I think if the Flyers had an issue with 50 contracts they would remove one before sending Cousins to juniors.

Yeah like i say it wouldn't be my first choice i think they'll be ok once Mezz is cleared and can be traded for a roll of tape....that will be a couple more weeks from what Homer was saying.

I believe they can exceed 50 during the offseason, as long as the additional contracts that they have don't exceed the number that are elligible to "slide." ie, the Flyers could hit 52 contracts this offseason, since both Stolarz and Laughton are still elligible for Juniors. However, if they are at 52, they force their own hand in sending Laughton back down.