I don't like the idea of moving Schenn or Couturier to wing

Guest Mario99

Schenn and Coots are both young talented centers and moving positions might hurt their development,

I would prefer to trade Read and Coburn for a LW or RW & move Mezaros for a pick and pick up 50% of Renault contract, which saves Flyers $2 mill in off cap. If we do end up trading schenn or coots we need to get back a LW/RW with speed, and add a Clarkson type thru FA if cap space is there

Oh one thing I don't like Giroux taking faceoffs he hurt both wrists doing draws saves his hands which are his meal ticket

First, the wrist thing was Cindy deliberately whacking him over and over again in a playoff series. It's not from taking faceoffs.

Second, why would you take Giroux off faceoffs when not only is he by far the best on the team but won more than anyone in the league, by a wide margin.

"one thing I don't like is Michael Phelps in the pool. I want to save his legs, which are his meal ticket"

I think Schenn will be fine on wing. I don't understand trading Read for a LW or RW when he IS a winger.

Sometimes I wonder if you're actually serious.

• Like 3

Schenn and Coots are both young talented centers and moving positions might hurt their development,

Or, maybe deep down in their souls, they are actually wingers, and it would unleash their full potential. +5 development.

@aziz

I think Couts would be wasted on wing.

But despite my earlier protestations, Schenn on wing probably isn't much of a stretch. He's bounced back and forth so much this year and (I think) last that he probably has no idea at this point what he is anyway.

ruxpin, taking G out of the circle would prevent that from happening again, Plus with Vinny at Center he won 54% of faceoffs last year

Something he has improved on, Read reminds me of a center and dont like him that much hes 28 plus next summer he is a free agent I think with Read & Coburn we can get a decent LW/RW to play with Vinny or Schenn and sign free agent wing to play with Couturier, if we can trade Mez for a pick and pay half his contract for a year which saves us $2 million off the salary cap

I just don't like messing with players roles, they get drafted as centers and you move them to Wing just to squeeze in Vinny

Bottom line don't like Read that much need to get bigger on wing

ruxpin, taking G out of the circle would prevent that from happening again, Plus with Vinny at Center he won 54% of faceoffs last year

Something he has improved on, Read reminds me of a center and dont like him that much hes 28 plus next summer he is a free agent I think with Read & Coburn we can get a decent LW/RW to play with Vinny or Schenn and sign free agent wing to play with Couturier, if we can trade Mez for a pick and pay half his contract for a year which saves us $2 million off the salary cap

I just don't like messing with players roles, they get drafted as centers and you move them to Wing just to squeeze in Vinny

No offense, but I don't agree with a single word of that other than the "I just don't like messing with players roles (although you want to move a VERY GOOD winger to center because in your imagination he's a center), they get drafted as centers and you move them to Wing just to squeeze in Vinny.". That part I'm on board with. In Schenn's case, he may actually be a winger. I would have liked to see them try to develop him at center, but since he's already split most of his time here I'm okay with him on wing. What I don't want is for them to keep switching him back and forth. If you're going to have him play wing, fine. Keep him there, help him, and let him learn. If you're going to play him at center, same thing. Just don't move him all over the place and call him RJ.

I would prefer to trade Read and Coburn for a LW or RW & move Mezaros for a pick and pick up 50% of Renault contract, which saves Flyers $2 mill in off cap. If we do end up trading schenn or coots we need to get back a LW/RW with speed, and add a Clarkson type thru FA if cap space is there

Oh one thing I don't like Giroux taking faceoffs he hurt both wrists doing draws saves his hands which are his meal ticket

I agree with your first sentence. I STILL don't get why people want to trade Read. The guy can play any forward position, with speed, and can score. What's not to like. Coburn may suck offensively, but he's our best defensive defenceman. Take that away and you're not helping Masons cause.

Your last sentence doesn't deserve a response.

• Like 1

Seems like that line would put two play-making centers on the ice at the same time???

I know Vinny would open up some ice for G, but I just don't see that line working. Nice PP unit, though.

• Like 1

I agree with your first sentence. I STILL don't get why people want to trade Read. The guy can play any forward position, with speed, and can score. What's not to like. Coburn may suck offensively, but he's our best defensive defenceman. Take that away and you're not helping Masons cause.

Your last sentence doesn't deserve a response.

I never got this trade Read movement. Terrific speed and skill for a bottom tier salary. We would never replace his all round play, but a replacement forward would at least cost double the money. I sit on him, hope he has a break out year and then, if you don't think you can squeeze him into the cap, you get much, much more for him at the deadline. I see Read netting 30+ goals next year, depending on his linemates. I understand wanting depth and scoring on the top 3 lines, but the team is doing Read and itself a disservice by sticking him on the 3rd line, he's a top 6 forward. Plus, if he is moved at the deadline, you get much more for him if he's playing with skilled forwards, his point total would increase and so would the asking price.

I think GrossmanN is a better pure defensive d man when fully healthy, but agree in general, trading Coburn does not help Mason....although I'd love to see Gus get more minutes and would really like Oliver to get into the top 6....if trading Coburn helps out the youngsters causes, I'm reluctantly on board with moving him, as long as the return is suitable.....no stupid salary dump type moves, he's a legit top 4 d-man and the return should reflect this.

• Like 1

Just for information - Gagne was drafted as a center too.

Edited by krasy

Inside Schenn's lunchbox is packed a wingers sangwich. His passing ability needs improvement. His ice-vision is suited to "into the punishment corners first then pass out to a player", he has a shooters mentality(which is nice) I don't "minded"(yes minded) if they put him @ center but, it seems like his lunchbox label taped on it says Wingman.

@aziz

I think Couts would be wasted on wing.

But despite my earlier protestations, Schenn on wing probably isn't much of a stretch. He's bounced back and forth so much this year and (I think) last that he probably has no idea at this point what he is anyway.

Oh what the he11. The way this off season is starting, Convert B.Schenn to defense and pair him with his brother :ph34r:

• Like 1

@

A plate of cheeseburgers on top of the goal instead of a waterbottle? I don't think there's a rule against that, is there?

We might need to ask Glenn Sather. He complained when they first started doing the water bottle. Something to the effect of, "what, are they going to put their lunch there next?"

“goalies storing water bottles on top of their net is now a common practice. But when Philadelphia goalie Pelle Lindbergh did it in the 1985 Stanley Cup finals, Edmonton Oiler coach Glen Sather had a fit. “Maybe we want a bucket of chicken on our net,” said Sather. “Or a bucket of chicken on their net. Maybe hamburgers. I mean, if you have a water bottle out there, let’s have lunch.”

Source

I never got this trade Read movement. Terrific speed and skill for a bottom tier salary. We would never replace his all round play, but a replacement forward would at least cost double the money. I sit on him, hope he has a break out year and then, if you don't think you can squeeze him into the cap, you get much, much more for him at the deadline. I see Read netting 30+ goals next year, depending on his linemates. I understand wanting depth and scoring on the top 3 lines, but the team is doing Read and itself a disservice by sticking him on the 3rd line, he's a top 6 forward. Plus, if he is moved at the deadline, you get much more for him if he's playing with skilled forwards, his point total would increase and so would the asking price.

This. But I still don't think Coburn should be traded at all.