LW Tyrell Goulbourne Flyers 3rd...

Guest OccamsRazor

People said the same thing about Rinaldo if I recall correctly.

At least Rinaldo can skate, I dunno how this guy skates honestly, but my gut tells me if he was plus skater with that type of toughness, he would not have been ranked so low.

Tyrell Goulbourne, a tough guy from the WHL, has been selected by the Flyers in the third round.

NEWARK -- The Flyers selected two defensemen with their first two picks in the 2013 NHL Draft, something they hadn't done since the early 1990s. But the more things change, the more they stay the same.

With their third round pick at 71st overall, the Flyers selected a head-scratcher of a tough guy in Tyrell Goulbourne, a winger from Kelowna of the Western Hockey League. ISS is the only draft guide we checked that even bothered to list Goulbourne attributes, ranking him 171st overall among all prospects. Again, the Flyers took him 71st overall -- 100 picks ahead of where he was projected.

In that ISS guide, it summed up Goulbourne pretty clearly:

Gritty hard working forward

Good Skater

Willing to go through the wall

Works hard up and down the ice

Teammates love him

Willingness to block shots

Great character leader

Warrior

Tough and respected

The Flyers just used a third-round pick on another Zac Rinaldo, basically. Or, perhaps worse, another Garrett Klotz, who they selected with their third-round pick in 2007. Klotz is now an ECHL regular at age 24.

There was a lot of talent on the board still at this stage of the draft, so it's frustrating that the Flyers wasted a pick on a guy like Goulbourne. If they wanted him this badly, he probably would've been there in two or three rounds.

Well......who's gonna take over for Shelly? ;) I'll tell you what. Why don't we throw a million bucks at this kid and elect him governor of the press box!! :lol::(:angry::mellow:

Welcome to the forum. What do you think of the 'Nucks big trade?

Starting goalie for the ninth pick overall. The Canucks needed to make that trade and they got a lot for it, so I can't complain. Hell, just dealing with the goaltender controversy was worth it.

At least Rinaldo can skate, I dunno how this guy skates honestly, but my gut tells me if he was plus skater with that type of toughness, he would not have been ranked so low.

Tyrell Goulbourne is actually a good skater, as far as I've read. He was definitely underrated by the scouts. I still don't think he was worth a third round pick, but he was worth drafting.

Big ol' reach here.

Speaking of what do you know about Stephen Harper...went from being projected in this past 1st round to undrafted to a invite to the Flyers camp????

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/57901-lw-tyrell-goulbourne-flyers-3rd/page__st__30#entry133188

NHL Player(s) Comparison:

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor I've heard his name bantered about, but don't know much about Harper. Seems like a good move if he was projected that high at one point. Low risk, high reward, love those types of moves!!

i read someone say flip him in ghoul's spot and make ghoul the undrafted free agent and that would raise the Flyers draft grade to A+.

Speaking of what do you know about Stephen Harper...went from being projected in this past 1st round to undrafted to a invite to the Flyers camp????

When I googled him all that came up was the Prime Minister of Canada. We'd have to sway Buttman with that guy on our team.

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/57901-lw-tyrell-goulbourne-flyers-3rd/page__st__30#entry133188

NHL Player(s) Comparison:

Exactly. Don't have a problem with Goulborne but in the 3rd round? Its a major reach.

A good read for everyone...enjoy.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20130708/SPORTS04/307080008/Goulbourne-fighting-new-reputation-Flyers?nclick_check=1

During last season’s NHL lockout, Goulbourne hung out with Flyers defenseman Luke Schenn and five other NHL players who regularly practiced with his junior team.

"Luke was with us just about every day," Huska said. "(Detroit Red Wings right wing) Jordin Tootoo spent a ton of time with Tyrell. I think because these guys were around all the time, they got fairly close and did a lot of talking, and I think that was great for Tyrell's development. Tootoo was a big reason his year kind of turned around."

“I don’t want to be labeled as a fighter,” Goulbourne said. “Most of my fights are to change the pace of the game. I like being a defensive forward. That’s my game.”

Sounds good...

• 2 weeks later...

I always liked players like this who play tough, physical hockey but he was rated 171st prospect and we took him 1oo spots earlier than projected? I think we still could have took him in the 4th or 5th round.

http://flyers.nhl.co...vid=DL|PHI|home

BOURNE IDENTITY

In the two weeks since the NHL Draft, a lot has been written or said about the Philadelphia Flyers.

And while most of it has been positive, the one negative assessment that keeps cropping up revolves around the selection of Tyrell Goulbourne in the third round of the draft at No. 72 overall.

First of all, I have to admit that it’s exciting to see people care so much about the NHL Draft – especially third round picks – because as recently as a decade ago, the draft was an afterthought in the public eye, and now it’s scrutinized excessively.

In some ways, that’s good. In others, it’s a negative.

As far as the Flyers drafting of Goulbourne, well, I think there’s been a bit of an overreaction.

And to be honest, this really all stems from general manager Paul Holmgren describing him as another Zac Rinaldo.

That’s not a knock on Rinaldo, who has become an integral piece to the Flyers roster, but much rather a knock on reputation.

Let me explain.

See, the Flyers have developed a bit of a rep for drafting big, tough forwards or guys who are scrappy, like to fight and fit third or fourth line roles more than first or second line roles.

Many people call it the “Broad Street Bully” mentality, as if the Flyers brass still drafted players thinking it’s the 1970s.

Of course, that’s a misnomer, but it doesn’t stop people from saying it or believing it anyway.

If it was up to the skeptics, the Flyers would find top line talent in ever round of the draft. Unfortunately, there’s a science behind drafting and it’s certainly not over-reactive like that.

Nevertheless, the Flyers decision to draft Tyrell Goulbourne in the third round in the most recent draft has been a lightning rod of sorts on the InterWebs.

Whether it’s a fan blog complaining that the Flyers drafted him too early, or it’s an overtly detailed analysis by a writer comparing him to other available players and claiming it was a misstep by the Flyers, it’s all guess work.

Just like drafting players is guess work. Sure, having scouts watch players for a couple of years in junior hockey – or wherever they are playing when they are draft eligible – makes the guess substantially more educated, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be right.

As a matter of fact, come the third round, often it’s wrong, or at the very least, takes even longer to pan out.

In a previous story, I outlined that there was only a 17 percent success rate for third round picks – within certain parameters – drafted between 2003 and 2008.

So, the vitriol that has emanated about this pick and continues to do so this week is confounding to say the least, but I think I know why.

Had General Manager Paul Holmgren simply described Goulbourne’s game and not compare him to Rinaldo – as he did at the draft – most people would have been none the wiser.

He would have just been a third rounder who skates, kills penalties, competes like the dickens, blocks shots, is a great teammate and will run through a wall for his team – and everyone would have loved the description.

But comparing him to Rinaldo – who was a sixth round pick by the way – leaves many to believe there was more skilled players available at that point in the draft.

Maybe there was, maybe there wasn’t. We won’t know for several years. But here’s what I can tell you: On the Flyers draft board, the team had him rated in the exact spot where they picked him.

I know, I know… teams always say that. They always say they got their guy. But believe me when I tell you, that’s where he was. Those of you who are doubting Thomases still, I will offer video proof on this web site soon (Teaser Alert!)

But if that’s not enough, let me offer you another description for comparison’s sake.

There was a player the Flyers once drafted who had an identical description to Goulbourne. He was tough. He was physical. He would be the first player through the brick wall. He had some skill, but he was mostly known for his fighting and toughness.

The Flyers drafted him, to no fanfare whatsoever.

His name: Rick Tocchet.

Yes, he was drafted in the sixth round, three rounds later than Goulbourne. But, when Tocchet was drafted, there were far fewer teams in the NHL and he went No.125 oveall.

Sure, Goulbourne was drafted No. 72 overall, and that is a difference of 57 slots, but what if, when Holmgren stepped up to the rail to be interviewed he said that Goulbourne had a little Rick Tocchet in him instead of Rinaldo? What would the reaction have been then?

dot.gif

Probably a lot more positive.

Will Tyrell Goulbourne ever be Rick Tocchet? That would be a lofty ceiling, but one never knows. Maybe he will be Zac Rinaldo. Or maybe, just maybe, he’ll be Tyrell Goulbourne.

And that’s all he wants to be.

“I believe I’m a hard-nosed player who brings a lot of energy to the game,” Goulbourne told me. “I’m not afraid to step up and fight anybody – no matter how big they are.

“While I feel like fighting is a part of my game, I don’t want to be labeld that way. I’m not one-dimensional. I can put up points as well and I’m reliable on the penalty kill and responsible in my own zone as well.”

Goulbourne admitted he didn’t expect to hear his name in round three – saying he was waiting for rounds four and five – but he also admitted a number of teams were interested in him, so to go where he did – and to the franchise he went to – was simply an honor.

“They saw something in me to pick me in the third round. It’s a blessing, for sure,” he said. “It allows me to come in here with more confidence and play my game rather than try to be something I’m not. That’s the reason they drafted me.”

And they drafted him, as Director of Scouting Chris Pryor has said repeatedly, because they are confident he will be an NHL player someday, and NHL talent, regardless of their role at that level, is a success no matter where they are drafted.

So Tyrell Goulbourne just might be Zac Rinaldo. Or he might be Rick Tocchet. Or he might be anyone else…

“To be compared to any NHL player is an honor,” he said. “They had to work their butts off just to get to that level, so that’s special to me and it shows me what I have to do to get there as well.”

Time will tell...

It sounds like, for the Flyers, he’s going to be Tyrell Goulbourne, and that just might be good enough for them.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Wonder how fast this kid is. My advice to him would be to shoot the puck a few thousand times a day. He'll have to eventually develop some offensive prowess at the NHL level, should he ever make it. Shoot, shoot, shoot!

@OccamsRazor

The one thing I like to hear about Goulbourne is it sounds like he loves to play. It didn't bother me that he was compared to Rinaldo. I HOPE he ends up like Rinaldo. I was thinking Klotz when they picked him.

I'd hope they had him rated that high when they took him. It would be pretty stupid to take him that high if he wasn't. Then again, the Flyers don't exactly have a great track record of 3rd round picks. About a handful have made the NHL since the BSB days. And Holmgren hasn't picked ANY of them.

@OccamsRazor

The one thing I like to hear about Goulbourne is it sounds like he loves to play. It didn't bother me that he was compared to Rinaldo. I HOPE he ends up like Rinaldo. I was thinking Klotz when they picked him.

I'd hope they had him rated that high when they took him. It would be pretty stupid to take him that high if he wasn't. Then again, the Flyers don't exactly have a great track record of 3rd round picks. About a handful have made the NHL since the BSB days. And Holmgren hasn't picked ANY of them.

What i don't understand in where is he going back to juniors for an overage year?

Sounds like a waste of a year...yet he is too young to make the Phantoms.

He is ready for better competition but it looks like his options are limited.

After watching the trial on the isle video i will say kid already has a man's body he is muscled up and looks solid, like a fire hydrant...as long as he actually makes an impact i'm ok where they took him obviously they see something in him.

There was a lot of talent on the board when they took him and they did so well for a change with the 1st two picks i'm willing to let roll till we know what they have...but from here the farm looks waaaaay better now.