We drafted Morin - another grossman/schenn dman

Guest RonJeremy

@Phillygrump I guess they liked him enough that moving down was to risky. Maybe they had legit info somebody else was going for him. I like the fact they really wanted him and didn't play around. They got their man, moving down a few might have cost them. A kid this big and mean and mobile is not gonna sit there for long.....I'm fine with not moving down. Every year a few guys skyrocket through the rankings. Another reason why he may have moved up is his youth, one of the youngest picks today. That's a huge plus for us.

This is Laughton vs Maata all over again. "Not what the team needed", "Bad value at that spot", etc. I wonder how many armchair scouts and GMs saw every player in rounds 1 and 2 play? Otherwise, it's the Internet forum version of hot air and blowing smoke.

@OccamsRazor

Thanks for the clip. I would not have known from what I just saw that he's 6'6". Very fluid skater by any standard. I also saw a lot of on the money passes as well a kid who thinks the game well with some good offensive instincts.

@OccamsRazor

Thanks for the clip. I would not have known from what I just saw that he's 6'6". Very fluid skater by any standard. I also saw a lot of on the money passes as well a kid who thinks the game well with some good offensive instincts.

@doom88 Agreed...unless somebody had the luxury of actually seeing the first 60 plays pick, it's all a big guessing game, cause you just don't have the knowledge of the players to put things in the proper context. It's fun to guess, maybe some guess a bit less than others, but in reality, none of us really know.

@doom88 Agreed...unless somebody had the luxury of actually seeing the first 60 plays pick, it's all a big guessing game, cause you just don't have the knowledge of the players to put things in the proper context. It's fun to guess, maybe some guess a bit less than others, but in reality, none of us really know.

I'm pretty sure a few other teams noticed a 6'7" defender with a mean street, hockey sense and the skating ability of a guy 7 inches shorter. He was probably on the board at that point for the same reason Seth Jones went 4th (teams are often looking for a lower risk, faster developing player and Homer was the GM with the most patience for a change). Trading down would have entailed some risk. I love the Hagg pick too. You never really know but we may just have gotten a hell of a lot of value with those picks.

A shame really that Homer at least tried to do what everyone here has been screaming for him to do for so long (draft defenseman, show some patience) and he still gets ripped around here.

• Like 1

A shame really that Homer at least tried to do what everyone here has been screaming for him to do for so long (draft defenseman, show some patience) and he still gets ripped around here.

Exactly. This draft gives me some confidence that Homer does actually have a plan and is thinking ahead.

• Like 1

yeah I don't get it. Now that I've done some reading/watching clips of these guys I am happy with Homer's moves today. He didn't go crazy trying to swing a higher pick and he got us 2 solid prospects on defense. What did people expect picking at #11? We weren't getting a game-changer we were getting a good prospect. I'm just thankful our 1R pick is a D-man!

Come on - try to appreciate what your favorite team has done and look on the bright side.

• Like 1

yeah I don't get it. Now that I've done some reading/watching clips of these guys I am happy with Homer's moves today. He didn't go crazy trying to swing a higher pick and he got us 2 solid prospects on defense. What did people expect picking at #11? We weren't getting a game-changer we were getting a good prospect. I'm just thankful our 1R pick is a D-man!

Come on - try to appreciate what your favorite team has done and look on the bright side.

Just for good measure, worth mentioning that most of us have whined about Homer's #1 picks before and later been forced to admit that it was a darn good pick.

By the way, still a fan of Couturier, so please no one try to tell me he's a bad skater and a bad pick.

@canoli " We weren't getting a game-changer we were getting a good prospect."

It was crazy that Nicuchkin almost fell into our laps at #11.....ONE DAMN PICK IN FRONT OF US!!!! WOW, there is your game changer right there. Jim Nill must have pissed his pants with joy when he was sitting there at #10!!!!!!!!!!!!

@OccamsRazor

Morin is tough, we know that. I wish I could have seen how it started; if I had to guess, a smaller player made the mistake of dropping the gloves with Morin.

This may not be a popular point of view, but I'm looking forward to the day when there is no longer fighting in major junior hockey. I just don't see the point in kids that age beating each others brains out. It's dangerous.

reach for a project at #11 instead of trading back?

See there in lies the problem it ain't a reach for them...he is their guy...maybe and if that is the case it doesn't matter where someone else had him...i'm ok with the pick and i guess am just happy to have a first...

...and a nice 2nd just fall in their laps....

Edited by OccamsRazor

A lot of folks were saying that Ristolin (sp.?) might have been able to step right in and play.

True and if Risto was available I would have preferred taking him but with both he and Nurse gone, I think Morin is a guy who has the most potential of some other 1st round guys on the board. We have to remember that Simon Nolet who scouts in the Q and raved about Giroux also spoke very highly of this kid.

Granted he wont be playing in the NHL next year and maybe not in 2 or 3 but most of the defensemen taken in the first will not play this year. We can only hope that when he is ready we could potentially have a 6'7 or 6'8 230 - 240 mean, physical shut down defenseman.

I'm pretty sure a few other teams noticed a 6'7" defender with a mean street, hockey sense and the skating ability of a guy 7 inches shorter. He was probably on the board at that point for the same reason Seth Jones went 4th (teams are often looking for a lower risk, faster developing player and Homer was the GM with the most patience for a change). Trading down would have entailed some risk. I love the Hagg pick too. You never really know but we may just have gotten a hell of a lot of value with those picks.

Bingo! The guy drafts a huge young defenceman who can skate and people are freaking out. Meanwhile they wish we had Chara or Tyler Myers or Jared Cowen.

Exactly. This draft gives me some confidence that Homer does actually have a plan and is thinking ahead.

Having a plan is one thing. Following tha plan something else.

I think having a projection for players who will be entereing your system is essential in the capped NHL.

If that happens here, terrific.

I still think there's a better chance of the kid getting traded before he has any chance to develop here - especially if there is any hitches in the learning curve.

Having a plan is one thing. Following tha plan something else.

I think having a projection for players who will be entereing your system is essential in the capped NHL.

If that happens here, terrific.

I still think there's a better chance of the kid getting traded before he has any chance to develop here - especially if there is any hitches in the learning curve.

Well, you have to have a plan before you can follow it, right? Baby steps rad, baby steps. Remember, this is a Brave New World for the Flyers. Planning for the future... even just looking like you're planning for the future.

Me, I'm going to hold on tight to my blue blanket and hope for the best...

Linus-peanuts-239722_366_360.gif

• Like 2

Thats what I was thinking. No matter what Homer does he can't win. Someone said Morin shows promise but it was bad management of the pick. What the heck does that even mean?

Thats what I was thinking. No matter what Homer does he can't win. Someone said Morin shows promise but it was bad management of the pick. What the heck does that even mean?

It is Flyer fans if we would have drafted the next coming of Orr someone would have bitched and said "ah we should have traded back...then you do and the guy you want is gone then they bitch ah you should have just taken this guy blah blah blah...Flyer fans you got to love em. I'm happy no problems here with me...

...are there others guys i envisioned dropping into their laps like Nich almost did one pick ahead of Morin, yes of course but it didn't happen and Flyers landed a great prospect in Morin who we'll judge in 4-5 years to see.

I was disappointed at first two. It was a non splashy unentertaining draft for us and all the other teams got all the big names.

...but ultimately the push this kid came from the good scouts who specifically pointed to how well he's developed his puck moving and vision over last season.

The only other thing I can suggest is that if you draft 4 D-Men your chances of one of them being half decent someday aren't terrible.

In the mean time, Homer's probably already preparing the offer sheet for when Jones' and Nurse's entry contracts are up.

Ultimately, isn't making a splash and seeling the farm for a top draft pick just the sort of thing that Homer would have done in the past to make us crazy

Perhaps boring drafts that trust the scouts that brought us Giroux is just what the team needed?

We need skill, skating and creativity on the blueline and we pick a big ,slow guy with limited skill, another dumb pick.