Is that $4 million burning a hole in your pocket Homer...

King Knut

Not really..if he retires, he doesn't get paid. But the cap hit remains. By staying unretired...he gets paid AND the Flyers get cap relief. Not hammering the guy, just stating the policy.

I thought players get paid if they retire because of injuries. The insurance company pays them not the team, pretty sure this is the case. He's not officially retired because that cap hit will hurt the Flyers.

@OccamsRazor

There is no such thing as retiring while a player has a contract with years left on it. The only thing a player can do is not show up, at which point the team suspends him, and so doesn't pay him. (If a player did this, a la Tim Thomas, he would be ineligible for nhlpa retiree benefits like health care, pension, etc).

Because pronger's contract is a 35+ deal, the cap hit would stay, though.

Not really..if he retires, he doesn't get paid. But the cap hit remains. By staying unretired...he gets paid AND the Flyers get cap relief. Not hammering the guy, just stating the policy.

DGG... undeerstood but in it's truest sense it is a win-win for Pronger and the Flyers. Pronger gets paid and we skirt the cap hit via LTIR...

@OccamsRazor

There is no such thing as retiring while a player has a contract with years left on it. The only thing a player can do is not show up, at which point the team suspends him, and so doesn't pay him. (If a player did this, a la Tim Thomas, he would be ineligible for nhlpa retiree benefits like health care, pension, etc).

Because pronger's contract is a 35+ deal, the cap hit would stay, though.

Ok so Pronger is still doing the Flyers a favor...thanks.

Ok so Pronger is still doing the Flyers a favor...thanks.

He is still collecting his paycheck.

Not too difficult to do that "favor" - he gets $1m in signing bonus and $6M in salary next year. $4M the year after that. Then the two $575K.

What happens if he walks away for the last two years?

(I do not anticipate that happening, but it could...)

This was brought up on the radio today, and it's ridiculous that it can even be contemplated:

Might the Flyers trade Pronger to a cap floor team for the last two years of his deal? The Isles picked up Thomas from Boston last year, so it's not that far fetched. Heck, the Flyers could keep half of his salary and send the whole cap hit under the new CBA (I think).

That...is broken.

This was brought up on the radio today, and it's ridiculous that it can even be contemplated:

Might the Flyers trade Pronger to a cap floor team for the last two years of his deal? The Isles picked up Thomas from Boston last year, so it's not that far fetched. Heck, the Flyers could keep half of his salary and send the whole cap hit under the new CBA (I think).

That...is broken.

Would not surprise me - if it is legal.

I could see the Blues picking up that contract for cap hit purposes and so Pronger could "retire a Blue."

Don't think they can trade a injured player. Thomas was a different case.

I think you can, at least you could under the old CBA. Kessel had shoulder surgery during the off-season when he was traded to Tronno, he missed the start of the next season. And I'm sure we all fondly remember the travels of Peter "Footpa" Forsberg:

Flyers -> Nashville -> Colorado -> A golf course in Sweden

@JackStraw

Not sure about Kessel but Forsberg was able to skate when we traded him to the Preds. Pronger is out definite and not sure if he is able to return. I'm not sure on the CBA on this matter, I remember this past deadline we couldn't trade Briere because he had a concussion.

Sooo, we are roughly around 13 mill under the cap after all the scrubs get cut and Mez is potentially shipped out....is that basically correct, I'm a little confused, I need a nice easy to read rad summary....LOL!

Basically it looks like after Homer takes care of the in house guys, he can go out and sign anyone he wants....a scary thought cause you know the hit, length and NMC will all suck and be at least a moderate overpayment market wise....scary times my friends.

I remember this past deadline we couldn't trade Briere because he had a concussion.

You couldn't get value for Briere because of the concussion - assuming Briere would waive his No Movement Clause and allow himself to be traded in the first place.

It wasn't "by rule" that they couldn't deal him.

• Like 1

@King Knut

You're not alone about Coburn. I think Lavy et all asked Coburn to be Coburn AND Matt Carle this year and that just didn't work out. I think having Streit will release some of that obligation from Coburn and I expect a bounce-back season out of him. For the record, I thought we should have resigned Carle long before he got to free agency. Might have saved a million a year or so.

• Like 1