Jonas Hiller

he had a good defense what is exact opposite of this team.

So, you said you never heard of a goalie having more than 70 starts. I just informed you of 12 times a goalie in the NHL had 70 starts.

@doom88

The defense play from AHL guys was better after those NHL guys got hurt. I don't like Hiller at all, rather have Mason and another soso guy to back him up. Wait for next year to see who's available.

We just got rid of Stalin, don't need Hitler to replace him.

Edited by Vincent05

Defensive play doesn't have to be boring or allergic to scoring goals. You also don't need elite goaltending, though it helps. I think I was asleep for that first post though, so I'm guessing what I might have been thinking.

Oh, I think we agree here on the "defensive play doesn't have to be boring." One of us needs to send that to Flyers' management. I nominate you.

Just to make sure I'm clear, though, that wasn't my point. My point was about Flyer math (i.e., their perception). What Chicago does or doesn't do isn't really relevant. The Wings played good defense but weren't boring about it for years. Apparently, this isn't relevant to Flyer management either. Both should be, but neither are. They see an excruciatingly boring team in their backyard that has on ice success but no gate. They see their own team with better offensive teams that score goals and fight but ultimately 40 years of on-ice frustration with sellouts or near sellouts every game. That's the Flyer math. That's the Flyer world. The Flyer Universe--in Bryzgalovian Terminology.

It doesn't have to be the recipe for success (both on ice and revenue) but it doesn't have to be. Chicago is kind of a bad example, though, because they went nearly a decade with horrible turnout because of entirely inept ownership. Snider knows how to keep people at the circus. The teams are built well enough to garner interest and keep fan support but never well enough to actually win the damn thing because, in reality, THAT isn't the objective. It would be icing on the cake, but it's not the objective. The objective is strictly to sell tickets and merchandise and television rights and commercials. It begins and ends there.

@doom88 I think the Flyers do need to revert to a defensive style ie Devils hockey. I don't want them to stay in that rut, or be known for that style long term, but it gives us the best chance of winning with the current roster. We don't have one single guy on the defensive side of the ledger as dominating as Duncan Kieth. Seabrooke is generally in the same ballpark as Kimo, but the other guys, Hajalmsson, Johnny Oduya, Nick Leddy, Roseival.....none of them big names around the league, but they all have a few things in common, none of them get beat to the outside (it's rare anyways), they are all super mobile, they are all smart, as a unit they put us to shame. Until the Flyers gain some mobility back there, until they fix the transition game, they need to play a style where the forwards come way back in our zone and need to do a far better job at clogging the neutral zone. That's my fix...go defensive until you have the right people in place to play a different style.

@ruxpin

Yes it's a name play. I don't think he's a true no.1 goalie, he's someone to get you by til you can get yourself a true starter. Another Marty Biron imo, looking at his stats it does look ok but out of his four years starting for the Ducks they only made the playoffs 1 time. He lost the starting job to another goalie and I don't want that kind of goalie here. Might just be me but I'm tired of seeing us sign OK goalies to get us by, I am not happy atm cause we lost out on the Bernier deal and no goalie in the market right now interest me. Stick with Mason this year and sign a cheap backup, rather then give up valuable assets to get soso goalies that gets us nowhere. See if Crawford or Lundqvist is available next year.

@jammer2 having guys like Toews helps big time. The 'hawks back check. That defensive responsibility is the simple solution, and I believe, correct approach. It doesn't have to be the central focus, but it can't flat out be ignored. Buying out Briere immediately helps here.

@doom88 Totally agree, the Hawks forward group is downright tenacious in all 3 zones. You don't see the Jeff Carter type of defense, that get myself in the right position and do just enough for people to say, he's ok on d. Those guys want the puck and will sacrifice life an limb in make in happen. The whole damn team is like that, which is a huge reason they are champs. I don't mean to knock on a hard worker like Knuble, but he was slow enough that his line would lose possession a lot. At least Knubs gave an all out effort, he just simply could not get from A to B quickly enough.

Edited by jammer2

@ruxpin

Yes it's a name play. I don't think he's a true no.1 goalie, he's someone to get you by til you can get yourself a true starter. Another Marty Biron imo, looking at his stats it does look ok but out of his four years starting for the Ducks they only made the playoffs 1 time. He lost the starting job to another goalie and I don't want that kind of goalie here. Might just be me but I'm tired of seeing us sign OK goalies to get us by, I am not happy atm cause we lost out on the Bernier deal and no goalie in the market right now interest me. Stick with Mason this year and sign a cheap backup, rather then give up valuable assets to get soso goalies that gets us nowhere. See if Crawford or Lundqvist is available next year.

I think cheaper is the way to go, so I agree about that part. But I disagree about Hiller. If he's not a number 1 starter after playing 5 years as the number 1 starter, I don't think I understand the definition. I had both he and Fasth on my fantasy team. Fasth played extremely well and Hiller actually took it back from him. The Ducks have made it to the playoffs in 3 out of 5 years he started, although one year was 2011 which Hiller didn't finish due to injury (immediately AFTER being in the all-star game. it was vertigo--sucked for my fantasy team, btw). For 2 million cheaper he'd be perfect to go with Mason. He's not a goalie that's going to start 65 games so a strong tandem situation would be perfect. But at $4.5M he's not being brought in for a tandem thing, I wouldn't think

So,I can go with your conclusion of going cheaper and waiting for next year. I do think the backup should be good enough to take the mantle should Mason falter, though. Emery or Theodore would be fine.

So, you said you never heard of a goalie having more than 70 starts. I just informed you of 12 times a goalie in the NHL had 70 starts.

11-12 Hiller, Rinne, Kipper*

10-11 Ward, Price, Kipper

09-10 Brodeur, Lundqvist, Kipper, Quick, Anderson, Nabokov (Bryz with 69)

08-09 Kipper, Turco, Backstrom, Lundqvist

07-08 Brodeur, Nabokov, Kipper, Miller, Luongo, Lundqvist

06-07 Brodeur, Luongo, Kipper, Raycroft, Lundqvist*

* 70 appearances

Happens every year...