Rasmus Ristolainen

@hf101' having a horrible third defensive pair goes back to the days of krejac and parent, aside from poor goaltending, poor defensive depth cost us the cup against Chicago, every time the 3rd pair was on the ice , they could not clear the zone. At this point we have a pretty strong collection of 3-6' defenseman, it's the lack of legitimate 1-2 defenseman that hurt us now. So I hope we can really pick the right dman in this draft and he can eventually be a top 2 guy.

• Like 1

so? actually i think having too many big players was the reason this defense was slow, plus the reason they were so many odd man rushes because they cant skate fast enough to get back, if you look at the bruins and blackhawks they dont have players over 6-2 on every pairing, they have a big player and small player, the flyers just have big players on every pairing.

Chara is 6'7" Seidenberg is 6'1" Boychuk 6'2" Bartkowski 6'1" McQuaid is 6'4" Johnson is 6'1" Redden is 6'2" Hamilton is 6'5" . How is that any smaller than the Flyers, who played something like 16 defencemen last year due to injury so you really can't judge the pairings anyway?

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

I think he could play in the NHL right away, but I think one more year in Finland would be good for him. But if he comes into the NHL right away and makes an impact, I can't say I' be too surprised.

He can play in the A next year which might be better for his development. Give him time to adjust to smaller ice surface and different style of play.

• Like 1

Chara is 6'7" Seidenberg is 6'1" Boychuk 6'2" Bartkowski 6'1" McQuaid is 6'4" Johnson is 6'1" . How is that any smaller than the Flyers, who played something like 16 defencemen last year due to injury so you really can't judge the pairings anyway?

Chara is 6'9"

ok. Your earlier statement is true for Chicago but the Boston D isn't lacking for size. I think though the point you are missing is that players like Coburn and (Meszaros---who wasn't able to start the season) skate well for bigger guys. The main problem for the team was the third pairing where Foster and Gervais were horrible.

what player do you like to see homer get for the third pairing for gus or possibly rasmus if they draft him?

what player do you like to see homer get for the third pairing for gus or possibly rasmus if they draft him?

I don't know. I wouldn't count on any new draft pick to fulfill a 5 - 6 role this season. At this time is impossible to predict what Holmgren is planning to do. Does he trade Meszaros? Coburn has a modified NTC so I'm not sure how that limits Holmgren's choices. There are also questions to if Bourdon can return, I wouldn't count on it but he is still a cheap option.

We currently have:

Timonen - Schenn

Coburn - Streit - (not signed officially, but likely)

Grossman - Gustafsson - Meszaros - Gervais - Bourdon - Lauridson

I think Meszaros will be traded. Hopefully Gervais doesn't play.

And I'm ok with a 3rd line of Grossman - Gustafsson,

He can play in the A next year which might be better for his development.

Risto can play in the A?

The rule of having to be 20 doesn't apply for Euros?

Didn't know that...then why don't more come over then?

He can play in the A next year which might be better for his development. Give him time to adjust to smaller ice surface and different style of play.

If he agrees to come over and play in the AHL I agree. It's always better to play on the smaller surface in the AHL, before the NHL.

• Like 1

If he agrees to come over and play in the AHL I agree. It's always better to play on the smaller surface in the AHL, before the NHL.

I would worry more about that with regard to goalies. Risto is big and physical and is playing against men in Finland's top professional league. If the Flyers draft him I expect they would invite him to camp, and if he beats out the other guys... well, then he beats out the other guys. Smaller ice or no smaller ice.

Risto can play in the A?

The rule of having to be 20 doesn't apply for Euros?

Didn't know that...then why don't more come over then?

That rule only applies to juniors. It was a deal made between the NHL and CHL because they supplied so many players to the league, they wanted some sort of control at least until their seasons were over.

I would worry more about that with regard to goalies. Risto is big and physical and is playing against men in Finland's top professional league. If the Flyers draft him I expect they would invite him to camp, and if he beats out the other guys... well, then he beats out the other guys. Smaller ice or no smaller ice.

It won't be a surprise to me if he ends up cracking an NHL line-up right away, but more development certainly won't hurt him. Especially on a North American ice surface.

It won't be a surprise to me if he ends up cracking an NHL line-up right away, but more development certainly won't hurt him. Especially on a North American ice surface.

I would agree. But he would provide a skillset the team really doesn't have, and it also might benefit him to learn from Timo, while Timo is still around.

• Like 1

I would agree. But he would provide a skillset the team really doesn't have, and it also might benefit him to learn from Timo, while Timo is still around.

Exactly and honestly the bottom half of the blueline really ain't a whole lot of competition....really you can't find a better mentor in the NHL right now...but i think Kimmo will come back...again after next.

Regardless he has the size and skating (from what i've read) to make an impact now and shot he can put on net (woah won't that be strange to see)....which i didn't believe was capable till Coots, ya got to have it upstairs...now if he's drafted he'll get a shot here.

Edit:

HF's mock draft has the Flyers taking him but Drouin falls out the top 4 i posted the link on the mock thread...

Edited by OccamsRazor