Mason / Bryzgalov goalie tandem for 2013-14

Guest hf101

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/sources-briere-informed-he-will-be-bought-out

Hockey reporter Josh Rimer reported via Twitter that Bryzgalov’s agent, Ritch Winter, was told his client would not be bought out, but Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren strongly denied that to CSNPhilly.com.

"I didn't assure Ritch Winter of anything," Holmgren said. "When the time comes to do our business, we will do whatever is best for our hockey team."

Winter did not return calls for a comment.

Well, you have to go with the mouthpiece of the organization - CSNPhilly - in this situation.

Doesn't surprise me. Aside from the need to cover their asses, there was no reason for them to have ever said anything about Bryzgalov's situation at all.

Not that these guys show any aptitude at running a hockey team.

but surely there are cheaper, more stable, less likely to cause a circus ways of finding someone who can win half their games, aren't there? there aren't a lot of super impressive names on this summer's UFA list, but you don't need super impressive for that role.

bryzgalov brings problems with him, and doesn't solve any problems 30 other guys can't. why take bad with good if you can just have good?

Cheaper- not quite sure? Looking at the total cost for a backup goaltender over two years. Bryz costs the Flyers 8M to play here next season if they instead choose to buy him out that would be 23M. Plus the cost of a backup ...which could range in price depending on if we were to sign Backstrom <--> Leighton So a two year price tag for a back up goaltender will cost in the range of 24-29M. Then add in the cost for a back up next season of 1-3M next season. 25-32M

If you keep him this year. Bryz costs 8m plus the 17.6M for a buyout. That gives you 25.6M plus the cost of a backup goaltender next year 1-3M (26.5-30M

It is pretty much a money wash either way.

I do think more of the problems with bryz are media driven more so than team driven, imo. And exaggerated on message boards like here. :ph34r: Otherwise for sure he would be gone.

IF he is kept he surely knows Mason will be playing for the #1 spot and a competitively player isn't just going to give his #1 job away.

<br />If you keep him this year. Bryz costs 8m plus the 17.6M for a buyout. That gives you 25.6M plus the cost of a backup goaltender next year 1-3M (26.5-30M<br />

I was referring to the cap side of things. no need for a $5+mil backup when a $1.5mil will do the same job.

IF he is kept he surely knows Mason will be playing for the #1 spot and a competitively player isn't just going to give his #1 job away.

the problem would be if/when mason wins the starting spot. that's where i'd be concerned by the drama potential. not just what he'd provide, himself, but the media shining a big spot light on a $5+mil backup and how he feels about it. I think it'd get ugly.

Is there another fanbase on the planet that would plan on a guy who had WORSE numbers than the guy they desperately want to get rid of in each of the last three seasons magically turning his game around?

Oh, wait. Mason's Canadian?

Never mind.

Carry on.

:ph34r:

Is there another fanbase on the planet that would plan on a guy who had WORSE numbers than the guy they desperately want to get rid of in each of the last three seasons magically turning his game around?

Never mind.

Carry on.

I seem to remember a certiain poster claiming the only reason we want Mason over Bryz is b/c he was "american" and Bryz was "russian"

Never mind.

Carry on.

Leighton was Canadian. Bob was Russian. I don't know about you, but I know who i wanted in net.

• Like 2

Leighton was Canadian. Bob was Russian. I don't know about you, but I know who i wanted in net.

Still not understanding why So Many People seem to believe that Mason will magically turn his game around while Bryzgalov - who has had better numbers in each of the past three seasons - couldn't possibly get better.

To be clear, I have no faith in either of them, nor the folks that brought them both in.

@radoran

Bryz has shown he is incapable of any sort of consistency. Half the time he barely looks like he's played net before. Kind of like Leighton...only at a way worse caphit.

I think most of us are just hoping that Mason can play. He can at least move, and handle the puck. He looks like a goalie. But I doubt many are holding their breath waiting for the Vezina to roll this way.

Mason at least took less money to prove he can. I respect him for that. And the fact he keeps his mouth shut.

Edited by flyercanuck

Still not understanding why So Many People seem to believe that Mason will magically

I haven't read anywhere where David Blane was signed in Philly...

...so why does magic have to be involved.

Why can't Mason continue where he left off at the end of this past season?

Why can't he come in hungry and determined to win the starters job???

Why can't he just work on his game with the goalie coach refine his skillz...

...i mean if history serves me correctly the Flyers last won a Cup with a Goalie who was exposed once in the expansion draft....

...was traded, played well in Toronto left without a contract to go on for a short stint in the WHA...just to end up back with the Flyers and to win back to back Stanley Cups...

...not to shabby for a goalie at one time noone wanted??? What if Bernie wasn't given another chance?????

Huh?

So don't feel that Mason has to pull a rabbit out his asss to win in Philly? He needs to make the stops he should make keep it simple, handle the puck when needed move it out the zone to forwards on the transition.

Shore up the blueline, get some more scoring up front and remove the guy that don't belong and i like their chances...all you can ask for is a solid chance!

Edited by OccamsRazor

<br />Still not understanding why So Many People seem to believe that Mason will magically turn his game around while Bryzgalov - who has had better numbers in each of the past three seasons - couldn't possibly get better.<br />

it's the mechanics. mason is a technically gifted goaltender, while bryzgalov has some of the worst fundamentals to his game I've ever seen outside of js giguere. to my mind, bryzgalov himself can only be but so effective on his own because he doesn't have the basic skillset to rely on. mason does.

all of that said, mason has shown a SERIOUS lack of mental fortitude so far in his career, and all the talent in the world is useless if you can't keep your head on straight.

I agree that i'm not particularly confident in him, but at least he *can* be effective. I don't believe that is the case with bryzgalov. at least, not without a very specific defensive system in front of him.

I was referring to the cap side of things. no need for a $5+mil backup when a $1.5mil will do the same job.

ok, but I was allowing the options of signing a tender that could earn considerably more money than Mason, someone like Backstrom or Emery. I doubt Holmgren would buyout Bryz and assume Mason can carry the load with a 1M tender such as Greiss or Montoya

the problem would be if/when mason wins the starting spot. that's where i'd be concerned by the drama potential. not just what he'd provide, himself, but the media shining a big spot light on a $5+mil backup and how he feels about it. I think it'd get ugly.

I won't deny that there is potential for some drama. I also don't think it could be as bad as some think. Byrz surely would have permission to not talk to the media. If Mason does earn the #1 spot by mid season, sure bryz could put up a fuss, but chances are he KNOWs he would be bought out at the end of the next season. Unless he wants to spend the rest of his Goaltending days in the KHL I do think he would be a team player especially if the team were playoff bound and try to do the best he could on his starts.

I haven't read yet this summer where he "hates" to play for the Flyers.