Bernier might now cost us Couturier

brelic

they'll keep halak. because Elliot is terrible. caught lightning in a bottle one season. even with his crazy .940 in '11-12, his career sv% is .909.

also, has played more than half his teams' games three times in his career, and those barely.

i'm not an Elliot fan. honestly, only prefer him over brzgalov by the slimmest of margins.

They started Elliott over Halak in the playoffs this year.

True story. He put up 1.90/.919.

Those are almost Cechmanekian numbers for a team that lost 4-2 in a six game series...

@radoran

yup. and a 2.37/.904 in his playoffs before that, and a 4.14/.853 the playoffs before that.

Michael Leighton had a good season, once, and a good playoff run at the end of it. also a true story. AND is UFA.

@radoran

yup. and a 2.37/.904 in his playoffs before that, and a 4.14/.853 the playoffs before that.

Michael Leighton had a good season, once, and a good playoff run at the end of it. also a true story. AND is UFA.

So, why does St. Louis decide to keep Halak when they've started Elliott in the playoffs two years in a row?

That's the only point here. You said STL would keep Halak because he was obviously better than Elliott.

But STL didn't seem to see Halak as clearly superior to Elliott when they chose Elliott to start in the playoffs in 11-12 and then again in 12-13.

Odd, if nothing else, that they would then decide "oh, hey, Halak's clearly better - we'll keep him".

Certainly could...

You'd rather trade a proven although not awhole lot for an unproven smallish goaltender?????

I'd rather trade a winger in Read who to me may be as good as he's going to get, instead of for Coots...

...who is only turning 21 come December.

Read is already 27!!!

Read is the only guy i would trade for Bernier sorry...only complaint i have with Coots is his skating which i will give a chance to improve.

Well since Lombardi has stated in the past that they'd like to get a 1st rounder back for Bernier would Read and 2nd rounder be a fair deal since LA just resigned their Russian defenseman, Voynov to a 6 year deal. Or does Holmgren go in a way of an offer sheet of just over 3 million per year for 3 years to force LA's hand. Lombardi and Holmgren have a good relationship and I'd rather see Bernier in a Philly uniform instead of a Devils, Penguins or Leafs uniform. Read would be a cheap caphit for LA.

Edited by Lindbergh31
  • Like 1

@radoran

because all goalies are prone to good and bad stretches. bad goalies can play well for a while, and good goalies can play poorly. if your bad goalie is playing well and your good goalie is playing poorly, you have to go with the guy getting it done at the moment. that doesn't mean you ignore each goalies' "normal" state long term.

looking at their careers and planning for the future, halak tends to be a very good goalie, Elliot tends to be a terrible one. I assume the blues will look at those tendencies and make their decision accordingly. I could be wrong, I guess, but they'd be crazy crazy to pick Elliot over halak. it is literally the same as picking Leighton over, I dunno, cary price. Leighton has been good here and there but is generally really bad. price has been bad here or there, but tends to be very good.

either way, I will be a very unhappy fan if brian Elliot is in a flyers' jersey, ever.

Lombardi and Holmgren have a good relationship and I'd rather see Bernier in a Philly uniform instead of a Devils

Read is all i got i'm not moving Coots...so i walk and explore whats out there.

Flyers obviously don't want to mess with the core of this team (is why they opted to sign Streit right or wrong)..G, Jake, Coots, Schenn, Simmer so depending on if they include Read as part of that core, will even determine if he's available...

...other than that all i'll offer is Mezz more so as extra salary dump (basically giving his money to Streit) or just stand pat...buyout Danny who then signs in Buffalo to reignite Leino...and we wait for the draft.

If you're going to dream, dream big. Why can;'t they ask for Bryz and Briere and Holmgren.

all in: bryz, briere, Holmgren, and the rights to me. I won't demand much icetime.

Ok I'm a little lost on how you guys value your forwards sometimes. I'm assuming Couturier is more valuable to you because you see potential and feel he'll be better than Read? I don't see them as often and to be honest, Read plays very well against my Pens and has stood out in my mind much more than Couturier. Plus Read is top six, scoring 24 goals the last full season, where Couturier hasn't been given that chance yet. I'm assuming everyone feels Read has hit his ceiling?

As for Bernier for Couturier... Bernier is "projected" to become an elite starter. Granted that's not always accurate, but much more rare than second or third centers, which I get the impression is Couturier's projection. Teams will be bidding for Bernier like an auction house. I'd expect to give up more than Coururier or Read to get him.

Has Someone claimed Bernier wants to be in Philly or did the author just let his imagination run over him switching agents?

The titanic was projected to stay afloat....how'd that go???? :ph34r:

If you're going that route though... Who's to say Couturier only had a sophomore slump and doesn't suck the rest of his days? You can't say the system that scouts them has a better chance of being correct with one and not the other. That's just choosing to believe which one you like more. Lol

Ok I'm a little lost on how you guys value your forwards sometimes. I'm assuming Couturier is more valuable to you because you see potential and feel he'll be better than Read? I don't see them as often and to be honest, Read plays very well against my Pens and has stood out in my mind much more than Couturier. Plus Read is top six, scoring 24 goals the last full season, where Couturier hasn't been given that chance yet. I'm assuming everyone feels Read has hit his ceiling?

As for Bernier for Couturier... Bernier is "projected" to become an elite starter. Granted that's not always accurate, but much more rare than second or third centers, which I get the impression is Couturier's projection. Teams will be bidding for Bernier like an auction house. I'd expect to give up more than Coururier or Read to get him.

Has Someone claimed Bernier wants to be in Philly or did the author just let his imagination run over him switching agents?

Read will be 27 in a couple of weeks. He's also UFA next year. Couturier is 21.

Goalies. for whatever reason (especially backups) don't usually bring a whole lot of return. Sure there are the odd examples. But most trades that involve netminders aren't of the "blockbuster' type.

Philly has dealt with LA plenty. That's all I'm going by if we have any upper hand at all.

why are people so high on bernier, his size is a problem he's 5-11, he's small as osgood? since when undersized goalies will work in this nhl? if he was 6-2, i would take him but his size is a problem.

i would take lindy or miller.

Tim Thomas is 5'11" Dominic Hasek was 5'11" Bernie Parent was 5'10" Just saying is all.

• Like 2