Why does everyone hate the Streit signing?

Guest pensuck

I'm just going by what they're (you know who "they" are) reporting.

Well i know this ain't going to help the beat up on Streit trend here but from a bright spot stand point Streit hasn't missed a minute since his injury year(2010-11)...including playoffs and time overseas during lockout he has played in 175 games since....not too shabby for a old dude!!!

09-10- 82gms

08-09- 74gms

07-08- 81gms

06-07- 76gms

...so one thing it looks like he is durable....

Round and round and round she goes. And people wonder why we never win the cup? How about trying a different route?

I think Hoffmann, Seravalli, and Carchidi are becoming increasingly vocal about the impatience and poor development. Holmgren and Snider must not care...or Comcast has yet to flex its muscle.

Best,

Howie

I think Hoffmann, Seravalli, and Carchidi are becoming increasingly vocal about the impatience and poor development. Holmgren and Snider must not care...or Comcast has yet to flex its muscle.

Best,

Howie

Comcast Does Not Care.

Games are sold out. TV ratings are solid. Revenue numbers are good.

Comcast, as a company, really doesn't give the hind quarters of a rodent if the Flyers win the Stanley Cup.

I would be curious if anything comes up at the shareholders' meeting about the flagrant wasting of money in the front office ($1.6M for 14 years to have a guy NOT play for you, for example).

• Like 1

I for one, would have taken the Gus route. Take a giant leap of faith and give Gus the reigns....and his play at the world championships would seem to support this theory. Yep, walk away from ol man Mark, promote Gus to the top pp and live with the results. Will the actual results equal Striet's on ice performance? maybe defensively....not offensively at least at first.....but Ya know, every once and while, as an org, you need to stick to your guns, trust your scouting and player development and give a kid a break....this is how good teams become great teams, allowing your youth to grow into legit stars and saving millions in the process. This team will not even pencil in a sixth or seventh d-man (although Oliver may test this prevailing attitude), they account for every single d-man spot through acquiring (and most often overpaying) vets and the cap is always hurting because of it.

I for one, would have taken the Gus route. Take a giant leap of faith and give Gus the reigns....and his play at the world championships would seem to support this theory. Yep, walk away from ol man Mark, promote Gus to the top pp and live with the results. Will the actual results equal Striet's on ice performance? maybe defensively....not offensively at least at first.....but Ya know, every once and while, as an org, you need to stick to your guns, trust your scouting and player development and give a kid a break....this is how good teams become great teams, allowing your youth to grow into legit stars and saving millions in the process. This team will not even pencil in a sixth or seventh d-man (although Oliver may test this prevailing attitude), they account for every single d-man spot through acquiring (and most often overpaying) vets and the cap is always hurting because of it.

The players they drafted and signed can't possibly be any good, because they drafted and signed them...

:ph34r:

I never was a big fan of Gonchar, in fact I would have laughed out loud at anyone even considering making Gonchar a Flyer. I have to admit though, my girlfriend is a Sens fan, so I saw every Sens playoff game and disounting a few boneheaded mistakes, he will SOLID for the Sens. He played big minutes against top opposition, was surprisingly physical and was outstanding at dispersing the puck on the top pp....if they had more true finishers, he would have had a lot more playoff points.

I never would have said this even a year ago, but I'd take Gonchar at 2 years of 5 mill ANYDAY than commiting to Striet for 4 years. The thing is, by year 3, they would both be near the end of their careers, the big difference being Gonchar would be someone elses promlem. He's gonna play fine for the Stars and he will be a valuable contribuotor IMHO.

Here is my other problem, does anyone view Striet as a key cog in a champhionship defense, because essentially, in the Flyers way of thinking, that's what he's being paid for. Seems like any type of weakness is instantly exploited in the playoffs, so is Striet and his suspect defensive game a part of a solid d going forward......although out of fairness, I didn't see much of the Pens vs Isles series.

Edited by jammer2

so is Striet and his suspect defensive game a part of a solid d going forward......although out of fairness, I didn't see much of the Pens vs Isles series

he was pretty good vs the Pens and they brought a good forecheck vs him too... the Isles had him on the PK in that series as well and he made good plays along the wall and chipped pucks to safety pretty well, really there was nothing not to like until game 6 when the pairings changed because of the injury to McDonald forced everyone to move up in the rotation.,

• Like 1

he was pretty good vs the Pens and they brought a good forecheck vs him too... the Isles had him on the PK in that series as well and he made good plays along the wall and chipped pucks to safety pretty well, really there was nothing not to like until game 6 when the pairings changed because of the injury to McDonald forced everyone to move up in the rotation.,

Well, having read that report from you, I'm a bit less pessisimistic about this move. Still think it's a piss pour way to go about business, but at least there is now hope that this signing will not be a total wipeout. Still shudder at the thought of him 3 years from now, but those few sentences have talked me in from the ledge.....lol. Really, you can get all the points you want, and maybe that is how things are slotted wage wise for the offensive d men of our day, but in reality....in the playoffs, you are only as good as your worse d-man, so the fact he was smart and solid in the playoffs is a big relief.

@jammer2

Gonchar was always a solid D man here with the occasional super screwup. His offensive contributions and helping mentor Letang were priceless.

I agree with @mojo1917 about Streit's playoff performance for the most part. The Isles were pretty powerless against the Pens' power play, as I recall, and I don't recall Streit making any difference there, but his 5 on 5 play was very good. He was a consistent threat offensively and got in the way of many shots and passes in his own end breaking up Pens' creativity.

@jammer2

Gonchar was always a solid D man here with the occasional super screwup. His offensive contributions and helping mentor Letang were priceless.

I agree with @mojo1917 about Streit's playoff performance for the most part. The Isles were pretty powerless against the Pens' power play, as I recall, and I don't recall Streit making any difference there, but his 5 on 5 play was very good. He was a consistent threat offensively and got in the way of many shots and passes in his own end breaking up Pens' creativity.

Yep. Kinda like having Briere and Carle back on the point. No thanks. I'll take two way defenceman over those clowns all...day...long..

Ever since Gonchar left Washington, he's steadily improved his defensive play. He's not a liability anymore.

Ya....

I know it was a few years ago. This is just burned into my brain as the worst defensive effort I can recall in a playoff game.

Ya....

I know it was a few years ago. This is just burned into my brain as the worst defensive effort I can recall in a playoff game.

I know you've shown that before, and it has happened occasionally... BUT... He's brought many more highlights and goals to his teams than he's given up. He was our #1 defenseman when we won a Cup, and a hell of a lot of "defensive" defenseman can't say that. He's stumbled here and there through the years, but honestly, he's smarter than many and his offensive talents far offset any liability he's been.

Edited by Polaris922

I am willing to bet that highlights like these can be dug up on just about every d-man in the league, or at least a vast majority of them. Every player, once in a while, will have bad games, bad shifts which he wishes he could've taken back. How many terrible defensive efforts Matt Carle had? Yet most on this forum lamented his departure last season. I watched some games of Minnesota last year and so sought-after Ryan Suter, who Homer was ready to sign to yet another detrimental contract, was pretty average defensively last year for the Wild.

Things happen... to everry player.

I watched some games of Minnesota last year and so sought-after Ryan Suter, who Homer was ready to sign to yet another detrimental contract, was pretty average defensively last year for the Wild.

great point....

..yeah like how much of that was from playing with Weber....looks like a lot now....time will tell. That is what scares me about Coburn still playing as dumb as he has played, after playing with Kimmo as much as he has.

He really seems to have had no effect on making him better cause he's had such success with other like Gus in such a short time, like he's hit his ceiling...and if that is the case why i would trade him for an even younger prospect....ie. Ryan Murphy (would straight up do it?).

And with that said what player doesn't benefit from playing with a great player...Coburn's value to me is only going to fall further if he has another so so year. Hey maybe he puts it all together this year. Let's hope.

He's too young for that kind of contract :)

I get you're joking, but this is true. It's silly to compare Shattenkirk's contract with Streit's. Shattenkirk was an RFA. The Blues had all the leverage. Streit got 5.5, because that's pretty fair market value for him. Maybe a bit much, but in years rather than cap hit. Carle is a better comparison, and yes, they screwed up there, but at the time they were going for Weber. Homer can be blamed for a lot, but Streit isn't a bad signing.