Flyers acquire rights to Streit

@radoran

and I think they will, but...this article has a decent rundown on how he could fit with no buyouts. just pronger on LTIR and meszaros gone. somewhere.

http://www.philly.co...erm_answer.html

because you want to get rid of your 27-year-old defenseman in favor of the 35-year-old one... :)

It can work, but I just don't see the point of Briere here next year at all. That article also doesn't get into the weeds of the off season cap, which could be a problem because there is no LTIR and all RFA offers and two-way deals are prorated against the cap.

I am hesitant to say this team is a contender right now - even w. Streit. If that is the case and Streit wants to be on a contender than he should be having a chat with Homer. As is, this team is just going to be contending for tee times next playoffs (as they stand now).

I'm comparing them to the Islanders. Yes, the Isles made the playoffs this year, but in comparison to the Flyers...?

Not quite the same thing.

because you want to get rid of your 27-year-old defenseman in favor of the 35-year-old one...

good point. though. I really can't shake the feeling meszaros is a part time player from this point forward. with some broken bodypart the rest of the time. makes him a tough piece to plan around...I can see that the flyers might not want that persistent question hanging around.

also, good point on the offseason cap. hadn't considered that.

Here's a google translation of an article (German) from a Swiss paper. Maybe we'll get lucky and Streit will actually save Homer from himself:

Mark Streit is looking for a new employer. "I want to go to a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup," says Berner.

On Tuesday was an article in the U.S. newspaper "Newsday" that Captain Mark Streit had rejected the offer of the New York Islanders for a contract extension and will leave the NHL franchise. The Bernese confirmed on the request message. "I will not return to the Islanders. We have recently agreed to break off the negotiations, "says the 35-year-old.

According to "Newsday" he should not have accepted a three-year contract for $ 4.75 million per season. The Berner says he wants to comment on any figures. "The pay was not the decisive factor; I am well aware that I was offered a lot of money."

To play the Stanley Cup

Where he will play in the future, do not even Mark Streit. The rules allow his agent Pat Brisson only on July 3, enter into negotiations with other NHL teams. Because the defender on Long Iceland spent a great time and felt very comfortable in the team and is close friends with center John Tavares hit him on his departure a certain wistfulness, but worries about his future does not bother him. Because little offensive defenders are on the market, strife is convinced that a man is asked by his qualities.

"I am looking forward to a new challenge, a new adventure." He seeks a contract over three to four years. The salary should correspond to his ability, but the most important thing for him is something else: "I want to go to a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup." In the rumor mill is brewing already violently: As new employer about Philadelphia, Edmonton will and the New York Rangers traded.

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/hockey/Neues-Abenteuer-fuer-Mark-Streit/story/21089834

Where he will play in the future, do not even Mark Streit. The rules allow his agent Pat Brisson only on July 3, enter into negotiations with other NHL teams. Because the defender on Long Iceland spent a great time and felt very comfortable in the team and is close friends with center John Tavares hit him on his departure a certain wistfulness, but worries about his future does not bother him. Because little offensive defenders are on the market, strife is convinced that a man is asked by his qualities.

I'm pretty sure there is a word for "Island" in German...

:ph34r:

Greetings:

I think there is agreement the deal is probably a stop-gap. I doubt Mesz is back. Maybe Homer sees Grossmann as another injury-prone player. Draft and salary dump will allow for a gradual rebuild of the D. Right now, he may be heading into a season where he worries if Gervais, MAB (maybe) and the others he has picked up Huskins/Foster, are just not there or worth keeping, while Timmo declines...it ain't pretty. Streit at 5 million would be a waste in my view...but maybe Homer thinks he can be had for less.

The whole deal underscores what we have said on this board for ages...the organization breeds forwards...other positions get no attention or poor development.

Howie

Haven't read the article but this is a good point. The most likely alternative to trading for Streit was to trade Couturier for someone like Yandle. I prefer this.

Also, it comments on last season gambling for Suter and then Weber and then losing out on them and Carle and being left with nothing so this season Streit mught be the fall back for missing out on trading for one of these young RFA defensemen.

I thought that might actually be a plausible thing if it wasn't the Flyers we're talking about.

Also, it comments on last season gambling for Suter and then Weber and then losing out on them and Carle and being left with nothing so this season Streit mught be the fall back for missing out on trading for one of these young RFA defensemen.

I thought that might actually be a plausible thing if it wasn't the Flyers we're talking about.

Yeah, it's definitely possible to look at this as a part of an actual long term plan. Then you think, "wait, it's the Flyers. That can't be right".

• Like 1

I have not read through all 88 responses but my take is this ( if anyone came up with this point my apologies) : If your ship is sinking then plug the hole! Streit plugs a hole without giving up your cannons (Coots, Schenn, Reed, ect...).

I'm glad they didn't trade any of the young forwards away for a stopgap. That's good.

But the "plug the hole" mentality is what brought Briere in, who we all want gone. It's why we gave away the equivalent of FOUR 1st round picks for Pronger, who we all want gone. And it's why we signed Bryz to the contract that is going to make Snider and Holmgren look like complete idiots when they buy him out, cause we all (cept TF) want him gone.

What's wrong with the ship sinking, then salvaging it? Why do we always have to plug the hole. Instead of a couple of years of the tail end of Streits career,,we sink and hope we pick up Aaron Ekblad next year. Which helps this team more going forward? Looking back, if we didn't sign Briere, we may well have Stamkos or Doughty on this team. So lets go that route yet again?

And it's why we signed Bryz to the contract that is going to make Snider and Holmgren look like complete idiots when they buy him out, cause we all (cept TF) want him gone.

well... according to his theory Bryz will be a stud and we are on the way to the Cup :rolleyes:

What's wrong with the ship sinking, then salvaging it?

The problem with that is that the ship really is not in such bad shape that it's in danger of sinking. The Flyers have lots of young (but productive) talent at forward and several good defensive defensemen. Given a more sensible coaching approach this past season they should have been a playoff team. There is a big ? in goal obviously but that really has nothing to do with signing Streit. Streit fills a glaring hole, albeit temporarily. But it doesn't preclude Homer from drafting a defensemen, heck, a few defensemen, in this draft.

Edited by JackStraw

I don't mind the part about buying out Briere and Bryz. What worries me is the part about trading for Yandle and acquiring a top 6 forward to replace Briere. Why do they need to find someone to replace Briere? It's not like he really did anything this year anyway. Re-sign Gags for a 2-3 years at a hometown discount. And what's the cost to trade for Yandle (Matt Carle v. 2.0)? Good player, but not worth what Phoenix is likely to want imo.

See, this is the danger in buying out Bryz- it gives Homer more money to pis-, uh, spend.

Everyone keeps talking about Streit being a stop gap and buying time, its not like we have any stud defenseman waiting in the wings to step in, in the next 2 years. Streit is old and Timonen retires in one more year. Then the following season its gonna be the same old story. All we are doing is putting off the inevitable, its better to face the music now and get it over with. We are going to waste 2 more years with this defense? We need an anchor man for the blueline, its that simple. We have a good shot at drafting a dman, but we also need to trade either Coots or Laugton for an equally promising young defenseman who can step in now. We should sign Nathan Horton in the offseason and pay him the $$ ,which bolsters our offense and allows us to trade Read and Laugton for a defenseman or Coots and Read for a better defenseman. Streit is not the answer.

What worries me is the part about trading for Yandle and acquiring a top 6 forward to replace Briere. Why do they need to find someone to replace Briere?

yes i don't understand the need for another Dman if they plan on signing Streit...talk about a crowded blueline....unless, unless they are going to wheel and deal one or two from the current blueline...ie.Mezz for sure.

Edit: please do not move Coots or Schenn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor

Saying this is a stopgap is nothing more than saying this trade had to be done - it does not need to be done. Why cant we exercise patience here instead of signing another aging defensmen that is going to be 40 when his contract is up? What is the stopgap? To keep us afloat when Kimmo retires next year? Streit is not a 1/2 defensemen so we are expecting him to take over Kimmos #1 spot next year? With that theory why dont we just keep Bruno around for the 5/6 pairing...

I realize the roster is going to change during Streit's contract but this type of knee jerk reaction killed us more than once - Danny B, Carle, Bryz, etc... we are going with the same reactionary trades/nontrades now and it is not even FA yet. Our defense was bad so lets jump on the first aging player we can. Our goaltending is bad so let's jump on the first nutjob and create our own monetary market... lets throw money at Weber, Suter and Parise and pray that it works out...

How about a friggin' strategy for once? The reactionary inclination of this club is astounding...

Phew... I feel better.

Edited by murraycraven

yes i don't understand the need for another Dman if they plan on signing Streit...talk about a crowded blueline....unless, unless they are going to wheel and deal one or two from the current blueline...ie.Mezz for sure.

Edit: please do not move Coots or Schenn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My guess is that Mesz will be traded. He's good when he's healthy, but he's never healthy anymore.

Guess Homer should have talked to Bryz's teammates in Phoenix before giving out yet another terrible contract. His Philly teammates don't like him either.

The league source also indicated that the decision to buy out Bryzgalov's deal isn't fully related to money, as "he's disliked by many" of his teammates.

"They don't want to play for him or with him," the league source said.

And Homer is about to dole out another contract that we can all pretty much guarantee we will not like.

Plus, we're apparently still after Yandle? Please, for the love of all that is Flyers hockey, someone kidnap and gag Homer. Here we go with the overcompensation again. We have a defense problem? No worries... we'll just sign and trade for 6 of them to add to our 8.

• Like 1

My guess is that Mesz will be traded. He's good when he's healthy, but he's never healthy anymore.

And he is the only one that doesn't have a NMC....so honestly it just seems like a no brainer...and if i can figure that out...

Guess Homer should have talked to Bryz's teammates in Phoenix before giving out yet another terrible contract. His Philly teammates don't like him either.

Plus, we're apparently still after Yandle? Please, for the love of all that is Flyers hockey, someone kidnap and gag Homer. Here we go with the overcompensation again. We have a defense problem? No worries... we'll just sign and trade for 6 of them to add to our 8.

Is anyone really surprised his teammates aren't fond of him? I can't stand him (I know, you're all surprised by that) and I don't have to play with him.

Ya, we have defence problems, so lets spend whatever capspace we have on defencemen who can't play D. Those guys always work out in the playoffs.