Meltzer: Yandle or Buf

I though this was a really good read from Bill M today and I am 100% in line with his thinking. Yandle is a nice player but IMO he is not a franchise dman. If you look at his stats (via Broad Street Hockey) Yandle gets most of his ice time against team's lesser players. He is a very good player but the cost is going to be incredibly high and I rather build within and finally show some patience with a young team.

As for Buf: I hope Homer is not this stupid. I want no parts of his contract... here is the article:

* Rumors persist that the Flyers are targeting either Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle or Winnipeg Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien this offseason if they try to upgrade the blueline via the trade route rather than trying to offer sheet a restricted free agent. I gave my opinion on these two possibilities in a previous blog. Between the two players, I would prefer Yandle, although I think the trading cost will be prohibitively high.

I consider Yandle to be the more reliable all-around player of the two offensive defensemen; a little more consistent on the ice, and is not a work ethic and conditioning concern. He's not physical and he's not stellar (or awful) defensively but you can bank on double digit goals and 40-plus points from the two-time All-Star. He's a very good puck mover as well.

A selling point for teams considering a trade for Yandle or Byfuglien is that both are several years away from UFA status. Yandle is signed for three more seasons at $5.25 million, which is a reasonable cap hit in the current market place for a 26-year-old multi-time NHL All-Star Game selection. Yandle is NOT a franchise defenseman -- neither is Byfuglien -- but is the next category down.

Byfuglien, 28, has a $5.20 million cap hit and is also signed for three more seasons. He may produce a little more offensively than Yandle -- 15 to 20 goals and 50-plus in a full season -- but the one-time All-Star Game participant brings along baggage that is not a concern with the other player. He's surprisingly agile for someone of his height and girth.

I would personally rather see the Flyers exercise some long-term patience here and not pay a mint in trade for either guy. I'm well aware of need for long-term planning on the top end of the blueline, especially with Kimmo Timonen nearing the end of his NHL career. However, it may be better to focus instead on collecting assets and creating some salary cap flexibility rather than looking for a blockbuster deal that may not improve the team in the long term. But that would mean admitting the team may not immediately be a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, and the Flyers (and a large percentage of the local fan base) simply aren't wired that way.

i would take yandle, he's younger, has more of an offensive side, if it costs courts, that's fine, this team has more center depth in the farm system.

i would rather this team get built from the defensive side of it because it always been problem and never addressed, it's reason why this team wont win a cup because they are not good enough defensively, plus the offensive side of it is important as well, it's reason why they cant score on 5-5, defensive has to pitch in offensively just like the bruins and blackhawks, you can put any goalie behind this defense and will not survive in it because eventually they get burned out and start struggling.

Edited by toughfighter83

Rumors persist that the Flyers are targeting either Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle or Winnipeg Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien

If i had to chose between the two i go with Yandle. Buff has to many issues...if i'm trading for a guy that can play either defense or forward i'd want Brent Burns!

Like i said what is it going to cost...i'd prefer one of the cheaper non altering roster free agents...yes not quite as talented maybe but more rounded Dman. A guy that can actually play defense.

i would take yandle, he's younger, has more of an offensive side, if it costs courts, that's fine, this team has more center depth in the farm system.

If it's gonna cost Coots anyway, why not try Shattenkirk instead?

I haven't watched much of him either, but from what I understand, he's got a higher ceiling than Yandle, and is better defensively.

• Like 4

Like i said what is it going to cost...i'd prefer one of the cheaper non altering roster free agents...yes not quite as talented maybe but more rounded Dman. A guy that can actually play defense.

Any examples? And what would you trade to get him?

@brelic Yeah, I'm with you, bud. If you get Yandle....he is your #1....that's it/cap room done/this is the 'D'/no more moves. And if your going to trade Cooter to do it, (why we do this when his value is at its lowest, I'll not understand) shouldn't we set sights a bit higher? And on top of that, they're saying we must include 'Matt - the best value in hockey - Read' too? Only if they include a goalie exchange as well!

Edited by jackhole
  • Like 1

@brelic Yeah, I'm with you, bud. If you get Yandle....he is your #1....that's it/cap room done/this is the 'D'/no more moves. And if your going to trade Cooter to do it, (why we do this when his value is at its lowest, I'll not understande) shouldn't we set sights a bit higher? And on top of that, they're saying we must include 'Matt - the best value in hockey - Read' too? Only if they include a goalie exchange as well!

i wouldnt do that for a goalie that's unproven, i would rather get a goalie that's young and that is a proven number 1.

Any examples?

A cheap option i'd prefer:

RH:Joe Corvo(35), Anton Babchuk(29), youngest...Brett Bellemore (24 6'4" 210) and if you really want to gamble...Bobby Sanuinetti(25)

LH: Tony Lydman(35), Marc Fistric(27), Ron Hainsey(32), Grant Clintsome(28) Chris Summers (25)

some of my less roster altering freeagents...

Edited by OccamsRazor

A cheap option i'd prefer:

RH:Joe Corvo(35), Anton Babchuk(29), youngest...Brett Bellemore (24 6'4" 210) and if you really want to gamble...Bobby Sanuinetti(25)

LH: Tony Lydman(35), Marc Fistric(27), Ron Hainsey(32), Grant Clintsome(28) Chris Summers (25)

some of my less roster altering freeagents...

out of them i would take corvo, Babchuck and Hainsey.

out of them i would take corvo, Babchuck and Hainsey.

And to narrow down further i'd take Corvo for 1 year 2 the max.

Babchuk too for 2...he has a booming shot from the point...not sure why he fell out of favor in Calgary i like him with the Canes. It must be Calgary...the year he was traded to Calgary he scored 11 goals 24asts 35pts +14!!!!

Not bad what happened to him????

6'5" 210....RH shot.

Let Ollie start in the A next year.

Edit: Never mind i think Babchuk has signed in KHL.

Edited by OccamsRazor

i wouldnt do that for a goalie that's unproven, i would rather get a goalie that's young and that is a proven number 1.

By goalie exchange I mean Bryz for Bernier as part of a package deal.....or Quick that would be OK too ;)

Yandle is good, but hardly great. It would really depend on the asking price, and I certainly wouldn't give up a lot.

Byfuglian? Didn't he finish the season at over 300 lbs? What's he gonna weigh after the off season???? Yiiikes! Besides, we need defencemen...not offensive linemen.

Edited by flyercanuck

ok if the flyers sign mark streit and trade for yandle and trade mez for a draft pick and trade coburn for a good young nhl ready prospect to replace briere and get bernie and anmesty bryz and briere, how would this look?

timms-schenn

yandle- grossman

streit- gus/lauridsen

bernie

mason

ok if the flyers sign mark streit and trade for yandle and trade mez for a draft pick and trade coburn for a good young nhl ready prospect to replace briere and get bernie and anmesty bryz and briere, how would this look?

timms-schenn

yandle- grossman

streit- gus/lauridsen

bernie

mason

I am all for it but I dont think their is enough cap room. Striet is going to get 5.5M and Yandle is going to cost the same so I dont see this hapening. If you can make it work I think that defense would be very good.

I am all for it but I dont think their is enough cap room. Striet is going to get 5.5M and Yandle is going to cost the same so I dont see this hapening. If you can make it work I think that defense would be very good.

trade hartnell for a draft pick replace him with mcginn

I like Yandle's game, but he does not have 25 hard minutes a game value. The other thing to keep in mind is the Flyers inability to improve young defencemen. If they can find a coach who can work with these guys then it will work. Coburn came to Philly with huge upside potential and has regressed more than not. He is only one of many. Whoever Holmgren overpays for he needs to get somebody who can teach these guys how to play in their own end, and that includes the forwards. I didn't even mention Buflugyn, he has way too much baggage. Lavvy can't keep Hartnell's head on straight, and look at the mess Bryz brings to the room. No way can he handle Buf.

Yandle is good, but hardly great.

Should have just kept Carle if they are going to trade for Yandle....that is why if the trade Coots i said yesterday it better be for Brandon Gormley or i'll just pass...find another cheaper option... :D

• Like 2