Bylsma: Fleury is still #1

B21

Smoke screen... can't look like he's worthless if you're trying to trade him. I dunno what to make of it... the Pens players spoke very highly of Fleury yesterday, and not much else is out there. Do they trust in Vokoun and bring up one of the young kids?

• Like 2

Shero's creative he should be able to make something happen, i do think right now he'll be forced to sell low on 29, which given how he worked Calgary and Dallas at the deadline might actually mean selling low .

Worst case the Pens buy his contract and can offer Letang or Malkin the contract they'd like or both two contracts they'll accept. I think the Gonchar deal has set a ridiculous market for defensmen and 58 is a perennial Norris candidate so 6.5 is probably the low end to keep him around.

It will be a wild west type offseason once these good players with bad contracts become available... i'm really curious to see what will happen.

Do they trust in Vokoun and bring up one of the young kids?

This. They have the perfect guy in Vokoun to groom a young netminder behind. You don't "groom" Fleury's replacement if you intend to keep him....you either make a long term committment to him or jettison him now.

A Fleury/Vokoun tandem pushes that back a year and then you have to find that starter (38 year old Vokoun?). Also risk another Fluery meltdown decreasing his value even more. @mojo1917 is right...you are selling low. But we have to. To big a risk to keep him around another year to "see" if he finds himself.