Mckenzie on Bryz. Bye Bye

Oh, I thought we were talking about Bernier. MY BAD.

I was having a bit of an exchange with Occam. C/Should have "quoted" it.

Actually, that sounds about right for Flyer management.

When are we trading our 2nd away? I'm getting antsy.

Yeah, spending big bucks on Streit, trading for Yandle, signing Top Six forward to replace Briere and...

in goal a guy who played well in seven garbage games after three disappointing years in Columbus and a backup NCAA goalie with 32 career AHL games as a professional (and a handful in the ECHL).

When's the parade?

@OccamsRazor

Sorry misunderstood you.

Offer sheets are extremely hard to pull off, as Homer has proven. I like that he's willing to try and go that route, but I also want to get the player. In this case, I think it's going to take a trade. And it will have to be a good trade for LA. Read, plus x, plus y probably in terms of player(s) and pick(s)

@Podein25

Read plus x plus y is too beaucoup for my blood. i know Bernier's great and all but Read and a pick is quite generous as it is. Read has two years of being an effective scorer in the nhl while playing every forward position and in every situation. he kills penalties, has a ++ shot. Bernier while having a pedigree from junior can't say the same in regards to being a proven nhl player.

i still think an offer sheet could potentially help LA out they have 10+ players to sign big name guys you want to keep... homer can make a call they can work it out , feign outrage at the bully flyers yada yada yada but ultimately can get something for Bernier

@OccamsRazor

Sorry misunderstood you.

Offer sheets are extremely hard to pull off, as Homer has proven. I like that he's willing to try and go that route, but I also want to get the player. In this case, I think it's going to take a trade. And it will have to be a good trade for LA. Read, plus x, plus y probably in terms of player(s) and pick(s)

Flyers could offer Bernier something like $3.3M a year and still only lose a 2nd in compensation. I agree that they should explore a trade, but LA is not in a position to have $9.1M tied up in goalies, much less $3.3M in a backup. The have to sign a whole line of forwards and two defensemen.

If the demands are too high, go the offer sheet route. Read plus plus is simply too much. Read for Bernier straight up would be something to consider.

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor

And it will have to be a good trade for LA. Read, plus x, plus y probably in terms of player(s) and pick(s)

LA owes us for last year's SC Championship win so maybe they will be willing to be lowballed ;).

Edited by Poulin20
  • Like 1

Pittsburgh might be a wrinkle in the bernier plan. Rumors that fleury is gone, plus vokoun probably only having another year or two left in him equals pens in the market for a goalie prospect who is on the verge. If there is bidding competition, I don't think read alone gets it done.

@Poulin20 - no kidding.

@radoran

@mojo1917

Could another team outbid for Bernier? He could have multiple suitors given the LA situation as you guys describe.

I guess I have a bit of a man crush on Bernier. Can you blame me though? We are forever haunted at goal. It drives me nuts.

Well, sure. That's the situation where the relationship with the Flyers would have the most impact IMO. I think it gets the Flyers in the door first, if nothing else, and gives them an edge if two offers are fairly close.

The question is who else needs a goalie?

Pittsburgh might be a wrinkle in the bernier plan. Rumors that fleury is gone, plus vokoun probably only having another year or two left in him equals pens in the market for a goalie prospect who is on the verge. If there is bidding competition, I don't think read alone gets it done.

It's an interesting thought though both Bylsma (in post playoff interview) and Shero (year-end press conference) both came out publicly in support of Fleury. I know it doesn't mean much and I'd not be shocked (would hope, actually) if they were kicking the tires on Bernier but I have a gut feeling that they were serious about what they said.

It's an interesting thought though both Bylsma (in post playoff interview) and Shero (year-end press conference) both came out publicly in support of Fleury. I know it doesn't mean much and I'd not be shocked (would hope, actually) if they were kicking the tires on Bernier but I have a gut feeling that they were serious about what they said.

Well you still have to play your poker hand, so it's in your best interest to act like he's your guy (even though he may not) to keep his value as high as it's going to be cause once you let everyone know your intentions the value will drop because they know you want/need to move him.

So talk him up till he's gone smart move.

Never reveal your hand till you have too...remember it's a business.

Well you still have to play your poker hand, so it's in your best interest to act like he's your guy (even though he may not) to keep his value as high as it's going to be cause once you let everyone know your intentions the value will drop because they know you want/need to move him.

"You gotta know when to hold them, you gotta know when to fold them... know when to walk away, know when to run"

the-gambler.jpg

• Like 1

@aziz

Kinda forgot about Calgary - and, really, shouldn't we all?

Shero just gave a vote of confidence to Fleury, so Pittsburgh is out. Buffalo's going to at least start with Miller and has some belief that Enroth could be the heir apparent.

Phoenix? Would LA trade Bernier in Division Conference?

Again, I think the Flyers' relationship with the Kings comes into play here. If any team you mention blows the doors off with an offer, I think you have to let them take it. If the deals are anything close to similar (and that may mean sweetening Read with a draft pick) I think the Flyers have an edge.

• Like 1

Can you tell I suck at poker? (Or do I?) :ph34r:

Shero and Bylsma have 4 - 9 off suit and are bluffing that they have pocket Kings.

Edit: Though after's Fleury's performance in the last two post-seasons we might as well show our hand.

Edited by B21

Can you tell I suck at poker? (Or do I?) :ph34r:

Shero and Bylsma have 4 - 9 off suit and are bluffing that they have pocket Kings.

Edit: Though after's Fleury's performance in the last two post-seasons we might as well show our hand.

Yeah you guys have some decisions to make on the guys to resign and limited cash flow....something has to give right!!!????