Mckenzie on Bryz. Bye Bye

and I'm also not crazy about giving up Read in any deal. He seems to me to be undervalued on this board by many. I don't know how anyone can possibly think he's "reached his potential" unless they're guessing. That's fine, as far as guesses go. But he could just as likely take off next year and put up 75 pts. All depends on line mates, ice time, etc, the usual. But he's a goal scorer and a budding playmaker. I would not let him go unless the return is really something special.

• Like 1

If you can get Bernier for Read straight up you pull the trigger and don't look back.

Offer sheet him and keep Read and just give them a 2nd that is all it requires.....then if you want trade Read later in the season if an extension can't be reached. That is what i'd do...now this will piss Flyer West off i'd imagine but it's within the rules all is fair game!

With all of the players the Kings need to resign, tendering an offer sheet to Bernier might actually help them, well maybe that's a stretch, but it may not hurt them to the point where a bridge is burnt. this would definitely be worth a phone call to see what Hexy and Lombardi are thinking and at least floating it to them.

But he's a goal scorer and a budding playmaker.

Problem is, he isn't budding at this point. Put aside the fact that he had only played two nhl seasons, focus on the fact that he's 27. He is a fully grown adult who has been playing hockey outside of youth leagues for ten years. I don't see any reason to think his game is going to change drastically from what it is now. .59 points per game is nice, but it isn't something you protect from trades.

well I'd turn that around and say "That's right, he's only seen a couple years in the NHL... let's give him some time. Look what he's accomplished already. He came thisclose to securing a position on a top-line that features Claude Giroux centering...in his 2nd season. That's pretty damn impressive for a 25-year old rookie who's been skating with college kids.

And you can look at Couturier and his success offensively. It's been with Read on his line. A small example but it shows Read is capable of bringing some playmaking to his line.

It could be that all Read needed was to get skating and practicing with the pros every day, coaches and players who are the best in the world, and into a league that pushes him and his talent like no other league can, one that demands his very best to maintain his place. So far I'd say he's coming along nicely.

Martin Biron says "'allo 'allo"

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi130613.html

According to a league source close to the situation, the decision to buy out both players was made once Philadelphia's season ended, and while there has been internal debate over buying out Bryzgalov, such a move will be made shortly after the conclusion of Stanley Cup Final.

The league source also indicated that the decision to buy out Bryzgalov's deal isn't fully related to money, as "he's disliked by many" of his teammates.

"They don't want to play for him or with him," the league source said.

@OccamsRazor

I can't see the Kings trading Bernier for a 2nd. Nope. He was taken 8th overall or something like that. People are underestimating how truly good he is. I know that as soon as you go donw this road you get into the whole "savior" thing. He's good-to-great already, and he's not even 25. He has no injury history that I'm aware of. I say go get him.

• Like 3

and I'm also not crazy about giving up Read in any deal. He seems to me to be undervalued on this board by many. I don't know how anyone can possibly think he's "reached his potential" unless they're guessing. That's fine, as far as guesses go. But he could just as likely take off next year and put up 75 pts. All depends on line mates, ice time, etc, the usual. But he's a goal scorer and a budding playmaker. I would not let him go unless the return is really something special.

I agree with you. I love Matt Read... he's one of my favourite players on the roster because of the way he plays. Always full out, full effort, can play defense, offense, PP, PK, whatever you ask him to do.

That being said, the organization might be thinking that there are Read-like replacements in the system equally as cheap, and so it might be wise to use his value to address goaltending. I could see Laughton, Raffl, Straka, Cousins being long-term replacements for Read. Laughton is probably the closest comparable, especially since the other ones are even more unknown. But Laughton seems to play the same kind of game, and Read's departure might mean Laughton makes the squad next year.

I can't see the Kings trading Bernier for a 2nd.

I never said trade a 2nd for him LA ain't stupid....just sign him to a offer sheet the then if they don't match you would only have to compensate them a 2nd pick...that is it. Would LA be pissed sure...but it would be their fault for not signing or trading him first. It's within the rules...

@brelic

I don't view Read and Laughton's games as being as similar the way you do, having said that i think i've seen Laughton play 6 games the 5 he played with the big club and 1 game of jr that i caught one afternoon on NHL network.

the biggest thing about Read that is an unknown quantity in Laughton, he can score in the NHL, he's got great hands and an accurate shot and has proven he can pot 20 in a full NHL season, with Laughton that's a huge question.

Just given what we've seen from the #8 pick in a the draft scoring in the Q , O or any of the North American junior leagues is miles from being able to score in the best league in the world. Read does this Laughton is a large ??? especially projecting as shut down 3rd line center.

http://www.thefourth.../phi130613.html

According to a league source close to the situation, the decision to buy out both players was made once Philadelphia's season ended, and while there has been internal debate over buying out Bryzgalov, such a move will be made shortly after the conclusion of Stanley Cup Final.

The league source also indicated that the decision to buy out Bryzgalov's deal isn't fully related to money, as "he's disliked by many" of his teammates.

"They don't want to play for him or with him," the league source said.

They're going to buy Bryz out, the only question is when.

Sooner than later is fine with me, but the article - while noting Homer would seek a Top Six forward to replace Briere and still go after Yandle even if they sign Streit - seems pretty silent on the issue of who would be sharing goal with Mason.

They're going to buy Bryz out, the only question is when.

Sooner than later is fine with me, but the article - while noting Homer would seek a Top Six forward to replace Briere and still go after Yandle even if they sign Streit - seems pretty silent on the issue of who would be sharing goal with Mason.

They could bring back Daigle and Billy Tibbets for all I care if it meant getting rid of Bryz sooner rather than later.

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

@brelic

I don't view Read and Laughton's games as being as similar the way you do, having said that i think i've seen Laughton play 6 games the 5 he played with the big club and 1 game of jr that i caught one afternoon on NHL network.

the biggest thing about Read that is an unknown quantity in Laughton, he can score in the NHL, he's got great hands and an accurate shot and has proven he can pot 20 in a full NHL season, with Laughton that's a huge question.

Just given what we've seen from the #8 pick in a the draft scoring in the Q , O or any of the North American junior leagues is miles from being able to score in the best league in the world. Read does this Laughton is a large ??? especially projecting as shut down 3rd line center.

I guess I wasn't clear enough... I just meant that we hope to have in Laughton what we have in Read. Perhaps with a little less offensive flair, but with the same defensive abilities, and the versatility to be plunked in just about anywhere and perform.

So it would be taking a leap of faith that we will find those same qualities in a prospect we already have or will draft. Granted, it might take several years to replace that... but I think taking a risk in Bernier - a potential franchise goaltender - is very much worth a Read - a 2nd/3rd line winger. If he plays 1st line with Giroux, don't be fooled... it's only for lack of a better option.

Bryz was brought in to bring an end to the goalie carousel.

They are not - in my humble opinion - going into a season with Mason and a guy with 32 career AHL games...

Actually, that sounds about right for Flyer management.

When are we trading our 2nd away? I'm getting antsy.