First time I'm saying this, but Homer must be fired.

The problem is linked to one man, Ed Snider. If he showed the patience and let Holmgren build a contender instead of trying to buy one then Holmgren might have a chance. Snider wants to win another championship so bad but doesn't want to do it the way the Flyers did when they did win their two championship in the 70's - thru the draft and trading players to benefit the team. If Holmgren was fired and they brought in Brian Burke, Snider and him would clash from the start which wouldn't be good. Hexie has been away from the Flyers culture for a long enough time that he wouldn't be a bad choice because he understands what Snider wants, he understands the passion of the Flyers fans and he's learned to build a championship team thru his time with Lombardi in LA. I can see lots of changes this summer I only hope these ones help the team unlike years past. The Read/Bernier rumour is interesting, if it happened it would be interesting to see 2 young goalie fighting over the number one spot but the bonus would be seeing Bryzgalov gone.

It is sad to think we have to wait for someone's demise to make this work. The other "hope" is that Comcast takes away Spectacor's autonomy if it sees the investment going downhill. But that may not happen as long as bodies show up (not like my backyard Panthers). My short-term fear is that Lavy and/or Homer are given the boot early next year. Then there will be chaos.

Best,

Howie

Howie... I think you hit the nail on the head with this post and find it to be incredibly spot on. I look at Homer as the opportunist as well and always seems to be making decisions based on the reactionary nature of team management:

• Goalie - Let's go out and create our own market for a goalie, overpay him and give him a contract until he is 40 years old
  • Defense - Let's go out and try to land Suter - oh wait, he singed in Minn. Since that did not work let's go try and offer sheet Weber to a monsterous contract - oh wait, that didn't work either. Lets no have a plan B and be left w/ AHL talent in Gervais and Foster...

For once I would like this management crew to exercise some patience and build a Team using a strategy. Grow the young group of players, make smart trades that make financial sense and stop the madness with some of these contracts.

Sadly, I see no strategy and if history proves true we will see another offseason of craziness.

I hope we don't have to wait for Snider's demise before team architecture is put in different hands.

Best,

Howie

We need this team to be run like a pro.

So with that rant there was no solution to who should take his place...who would it be?

It needs to be done now, if it isn't going to be after next season, if it's a failure.

@OccamsRazor

I really think firing Holmgren IS the solution. After that it's wide open. There are plenty of options out there; specific names aren't necessary here, just type.

Just fire Holngren and worry about replacing later. While we're at it, hook up a 220 line to Snider's shower head.

I wouldn't fire Homer without a replacement in mind. It's the same knee jerk reaction that some fans claim to hate. The grass is not always greener.

What if the Flyers end up with....Pierre McGuire! And coach Lindy Ruff! Ahhh the horror!

Hopefully that makes my point. Now I'm going to sleep with the light on.

A lot of excellent posts in this thread. I truly believe Homer should be fired. In my heart I know it's the right thing to do. My biggest problem with Homer is the utter and complete lack of a long term plan. I see a lot of reactionary, fly by the seat of your pants GM'ing....and while that kinda thing has to be done in this league once and a while, it should not be the norm, like it is in Philly. Any time you are evaluating Homer's job performance, it has to start with Snider and which moves he was forced into and which moves he made on his own...that's a slippery slope and it makes evaluating him a bit tougher compared to his piers, who do not have to deal with desperate owners who stick their nose into actual transactions. For example, we know that Homer's hand was forced in the Bryz signing, but when he dealt Bob to the Jackets, was that all him or some more of Ed's meddling?

For the most part, Homer drafts well, but some of his trades leave you scratching your head. Some outright steals like a nice physical d man like Grossmann for a 2nd rounder, to the gut wrenching dealing of Bob. He probably wins more deals than he losses, but some of the losses are super stinky.

I would have given Jim Nill of the Red Wings a blank cheque and let him have full run of the organization. He was trained for over a decade by Holland, one of the best GM's around....he would have been a nice solution. Where the Flyers lost, the Stars gained there.

I wouldn't fire Homer without a replacement in mind. It's the same knee jerk reaction that some fans claim to hate. The grass is not always greener.

What if the Flyers end up with....Pierre McGuire! And coach Lindy Ruff! Ahhh the horror!

Hopefully that makes my point. Now I'm going to sleep with the light on.

First, I don't think it's that important to have a replacement in mind as much as qualifications/qualities you're looking for. But I wasn't necessarily saying or suggesting that Snider/Luukkoo wouldn't have someone in mind, just that as fans the exercise of suggesting people is fairly silly.

First, I don't think it's that important to have a replacement in mind as much as qualifications/qualities you're looking for. But I wasn't necessarily saying or suggesting that Snider/Luukkoo wouldn't have someone in mind, just that as fans the exercise of suggesting people is fairly silly.

Sadly, I think they have someone in mind - The Chief or Ramsey. The good ol' boysclub will never end Rux...

• Like 1

Sadly, I think they have someone in mind - The Chief or Ramsey. The good ol' boysclub will never end Rux...

I don't doubt it. I really wish they would think about someone with an actual damn game plan.

• Like 1

mid season replacements got us into this mess. Can't go back to that. Gotta see the season through... I can't blame lavvy for last year, but I don't necessarily see him as putting forth a smart game plan either. There's no solution for the astonishing lack of cohesion on defenseman and outlet passing.

It is sad to think we have to wait for someone's demise to make this work. The other "hope" is that Comcast takes away Spectacor's autonomy if it sees the investment going downhill. But that may not happen as long as bodies show up (not like my backyard Panthers). My short-term fear is that Lavy and/or Homer are given the boot early next year. Then there will be chaos.

Best,

Howie

One thing about Hexy is that the guy doesn't really care if he annoys or pisses people off (aka his boss). That's certainly one reason he was so well loved, but might also suggest he'd stand up to Snider.

Whoever our GM is, Homer, Hexy, whoever... He needs to be able to do that.

I'd like to consider a list too, but I hardly consider a list with Hexy, Paddock, and Burke viable.

Would a head coach / GM be a good idea in the NHL?