Sign Mark Streit?

Guest EDI-Flyer

To B-21, Hope you get there in the future. Inexpensive but good food, great place to shop for Christmas gifts, and great people. Thanks for your kind reply. I am presently living in Ecuador but coming home in a couple of weeks. No way to follow my team down here other than this site and Philly.com. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this country.

There is really no FA defensemen that are young this year and the ones that are young I have no interest in... I am fine with Streit at a reasonable cost and a short term contract. Although, I think someone if going to greatly overpay for him - of that is the case than no thanks!

I'd prefer a trade instead of FA

• Like 2

I'd prefer a trade instead of FA

Me too. Problem is, the Flyers have almost no trade chips to brag about. And those players who do have a decent trade values are good players, which means if you get a good player but give up a good player in return, what exactly do you gain? I will say though they do need to improve the D as a first order of business, because this D, quite frankly, is an AHL-caliber. So I can see them trading a decent forward for a defenseman.

But there are ways to add players through free agency... like buying out either Briere or Bryz, which will free up cap space to sign a player. I don't think it's happening though.

**edit** In hindsight, it makes the Kimmo re-signing even tougher to swallow, IMO.

+1 on that... At least Streit still has gas in the tank. Imagine no Kimmo and Streit signed for 2 years at 6 per. I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. However it's exceptionally unlikely to happen now so no point wondering about it.

Per nhl.com http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Assuming we have any kind of cap space whatsoever when the dust settles, is it worth taking a shot at Streit as a short term solution? He can move the puck well and QB the PP. Seems to be one of the elements of what we need on our blue line.

Of course given that the UFA crop is somewhat thin (unless the compliance buyouts skew the market) he will probably get way overpaid and might be outwith our cap limit...

Per nhl.com http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Assuming we have any kind of cap space whatsoever when the dust settles, is it worth taking a shot at Streit as a short term solution? He can move the puck well and QB the PP. Seems to be one of the elements of what we need on our blue line.

Of course given that the UFA crop is somewhat thin (unless the compliance buyouts skew the market) he will probably get way overpaid and might be outwith our cap limit...

I don't want any older players. Let's grow some youngins together.

Best,

Howie