Sign Mark Streit?

Guest EDI-Flyer

Per nhl.com http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Newsday is reporting New York Islanders defenseman Mark Streit will not return to the team next season.

Streit, who can become an unrestricted free agent in July, reportedly turned down what the team had termed its best offer, and will allow Streit to hit the open market.

The 35-year-old blueliner had 27 points in 48 games last season, his fourth with the team, and had five points in the team's six-game, first-round playoff series loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

He had been captain since the start of the 2011-12 season.

Streit has 288 points in 491 NHL games with the Montreal Canadiens and the Islanders.

Assuming we have any kind of cap space whatsoever when the dust settles, is it worth taking a shot at Streit as a short term solution? He can move the puck well and QB the PP. Seems to be one of the elements of what we need on our blue line.

Of course given that the UFA crop is somewhat thin (unless the compliance buyouts skew the market) he will probably get way overpaid and might be outwith our cap limit...

Edited by EDI-Flyer

Per nhl.com http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Assuming we have any kind of cap space whatsoever when the dust settles, is it worth taking a shot at Streit as a short term solution? He can move the puck well and QB the PP. Seems to be one of the elements of what we need on our blue line.

Of course given that the UFA crop is somewhat thin (unless the compliance buyouts skew the market) he will probably get way overpaid and might be outwith our cap limit...

I'd prefer spending on a younger guy

• Like 1

I read yesterday he could get $6 million/year on the open market. No way the Flyers have any shot at him, if that's the case.

Hell, they are already $3.5 million OVER next year's cap. Even if they buyout Danny and LTIR Pronger next fall, there ain't much cash to work with.

**edit** In hindsight, it makes the Kimmo re-signing even tougher to swallow, IMO.

Edited by DaGreatGazoo

I'd prefer spending on a younger guy

There is really no FA defensemen that are young this year and the ones that are young I have no interest in... I am fine with Streit at a reasonable cost and a short term contract. Although, I think someone if going to greatly overpay for him - of that is the case than no thanks!

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

I've always liked Streit and I think Homer should definitely look into it. For reasonable term and dollars, he could be a decent bridge from Timo to... well, whatever is at the other end of the bridge.

800px-Pittsburgh_-_%22Bridge_to_Nowhere%22.jpg

To B-21 This is way off topic, but I've been dying to ask you if you have ever been to the Slovak republic? I lived in Wien (Vienna) for three years and have been to Bratislava numerous times. I am also a stamp collector and I found a nice stamp shop in Bratislava so I recognize B-21 as the first stamp issued by the new republic. The owner of the shop was kind enough to save a pair of the first issue because we had done some "back room" deals. great experience and great people. Just curious and thanks in advance.

To B-21 This is way off topic, but I've been dying to ask you if you have ever been to the Slovak republic? I lived in Wien (Vienna) for three years and have been to Bratislava numerous times. I am also a stamp collector and I found a nice stamp shop in Bratislava so I recognize B-21 as the first stamp issued by the new republic. The owner of the shop was kind enough to save a pair of the first issue because we had done some "back room" deals. great experience and great people. Just curious and thanks in advance.

Never but I have been dying to go. I am half Slovak and half Welsh and at some point have to visit Bratislava and Cardiff.

B-21 stamp, eh? Nice conincidence. But it's a tribute to Michel Briere and Roberto Clemente.

Sadly, that's kind of how it looks for the Flyers defense corps right now.

Even more sadly, that bridge span was finished in 1963 and not connected to the other side of the river in 1969. Check out the Wikipedia paged for the "Fort Duquesne Bridge". A kid actually drove a station wagon off the end and landed safely on the other side. Doesn't list his name but I am guess "Bo Duke" or "Luke Duke".

Even more sadly, that bridge span was finished in 1963 and not connected to the other side of the river in 1969. Check out the Wikipedia paged for the "Fort Duquesne Bridge". A kid actually drove a station wagon off the end and landed safely on the other side. Doesn't list his name but I am guess "Bo Duke" or "Luke Duke".

Sounds more like Clarke Griswold in the station wagon! :lol:

i028845.jpg

10 years younger and in a better cap situation i might would say yes...

..i rather find a cheaper option or just give the minutes to the best prospect on the Phantoms.

He want a 3 year deal making him 39 when he is in his last year....IF if he don't get hurt and screws them, can't expect everyone to be as nice as Prongs has been just to leave the team stuck with his cap hit.

Also 5' 11" and a -14 for 5 mill per should have just kept Carle then...OOOoooch!

NO!

I'll pass think i'd rather ride it out with Mezz and the group we have.

Just don't want anyone with +/- numbers anywhere close to Gervais...that is why we have Gervais he can get you -14 for a whole lot cheaper.

Other options i'd prefer: Joe Corvo or Ron Hainsey

His defensive skill is reasonable I think.

Ahhhhhow bout no!

-14 says he can't spell defense...

...besides if you want to give 5 mill plus to a puck mover that is not so good at defense you should have just kept the younger version in Carle.

I say no way in hell...then he gets hurt first year and they are stuck with his cap hit being over 35...can't do. Besides they have cap space issues now already.

you want -14 just dress Bruno... :ph34r:

He is going to comand way too much and I dont see how the Flyers can sign him anyway... the cap is going down and with Briere being bought out that puts us at the cap... Defense has to be addressed but I dont think FA is the way...

• Like 1

Defense has to be addressed but I dont think FA is the way...

If that is the path i'm kinda ok with it...i just don't want and old puck mover who is just ok on defense and give him 5 mill per so at anytime say for instance he doesn't like his ice time or worse gets injured with the over 35 rule Flyer would be royally screwed!

Other option available...and while i've seen the rumors on a Laughton for Runblad ....

but i would do a Read for Runblad trade let me already so no to that too...if we trade him to the Yotes for one of their young guys his name better be Brandon Gormely or maybe Micheal Stone...but not Runblad!

Edited by OccamsRazor

I do not want another old guy that signs a 5.5M 3 year deal

I mean if they are going to do something crazy go out and offer sheet Erik Gudbranson...yes Florida more than likely matches

...at least he is 21 and is 6'5" 210 yeah he was -22 but he is young...

...also isn't going to be your puck mover but then you could move one of or even two of Coburn and or Mezz..just saying this team is aways away and i want to go younger verse older.

Buy out Danny and you would have money to spend not alot but some...

I don't think we can afford Streit, as an addition only, we'd have to shed some salary but I do think he'd be a nice stop gap , much like @JackStraw does until we find that power play qb for the the next 5 years.

However , I think he will be able to command 5.5 + for 4 years and crap for that money i'd really rather have Matt Carle who I think is a far better player overall, the only place Streit has an advantage is his shot.

there is this too, if I remember this right he had an opportunity to sign here before he signed with the Islanders and turned it down, i think Philly is not a favorite place of his, so why would he give this team any sort of break ?

for what he will cost I will take a pass.

there is this too, if I remember this right he had an opportunity to sign here before he signed with the Islanders and turned it down, i think Philly is not a favorite place of his, so why would he give this team any sort of break ?

you are correct sir... the Flyers could have tried to get him a few times so I am not sure why it would happen now. My hope is that Homer learned from some of these stupid contracts - i can hope anyway.

I would rather have Carle here too and frankly I would not sign him to anything more than 2 years and nowhere near the 5.5M that he will get on the open market. Someone is going to pay him handsomely and for too long of a term.

• Like 1

I would rather have Carle here too and frankly I would not sign him to anything more than 2 years

How about working out something with Jamie Mcbain...he is still young(25) and is 6' 2" 205 and a RH shot...not the puck mover mentioned and also a RFA but with him in the fold maybe you could then trade one the blueliner currently under contract ie. Mezz easiest to move or Coburn for the puck mover which we seek.