2013 NHL Draft - MOCK DRAFT

Guest pilldoc

@Podein25 My problem with Morin is we already have Coburn, Grossmann and Schenn on the back end. Coburn is a really nice skater, graceful stride and all, but he is only fast when he puts 3-4 strides together, he needs momentum to be fast. In his own zone he is very plodding and nothing close to agile. Drafting Morin means we have 4 guys like that. Nothing against the big guys that play tough in front of the net, but we just saw first hand that Chicago won with quick agile d-men whose transition game is something to behold. Their strong play gave the Hawks forwards the ability to play in the offensive zone and do what they do best. I would just really worry about having to many big plodding guys if Morin was selected.. I want an emphasis on skating in the back end, super quick agile guys. Chicago did not have won big plodding crease clearer except when Brookebank was dressed for the odd game. That's the winning blueprint.

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1

@jammer2

Totally agree on all of that. I'd only add that I want my D to also have smarts and vision. This is why I think Gus is going to turn out to be a really solid D-man for us in the years to come. You can see the promise there to be that type of D-man.

@Podein25 "I'd only add that I want my D to also have smarts and vision. This is why I think Gus is going to turn out to be a really solid D-man for us in the years to come. You can see the promise there to be that type of D-man"

Agreed, the other thing I'd throw in on Gus is his ability to lug the puck up the ice. I swear, he looked an awful lot like Carle skating the puck to a trouble free zone, showed a LOT of composure doing this last year....I expect him to keep getting better in that dept, will be fun to watch him evolve.

"I'd only add that I want my D to also have smarts and vision.

And skating is BIG..my gut says Risto...i'd be happy with that...if it don't cost anyone on the roster besides Read or Laughton to move up i'd be ok...the one guy i don't want is Domi...i hated his dad and just want no part of it.

Edited by OccamsRazor

@jammer2

Yeah I can see that you're fixated on the mobility issue after watching Chicago win the Cup. Proof of what you knew already no doubt.

Both Nurse and Risto fit the bill and I honestly don't see much if any of a gap between them. I worry that the'll both be gone at #11 though since all the GMs will be reading this and agreeing with us. ;)

Edited by Podein25

@Podein25 As much as I like Risto, I think there's a respectable gap between the 2. Forget which thread I posted it in yesterday, but saw this special showing Nurse working out 40 mins after every playoff game, lol...who does that?. Combine his talent and work ethic and the fact he could probably destroy Risto in a fight.....well, you know who I would pick. I get what you are saying though. When is the last time a kid got compared to Chris Pronger and can't crack the top 5? That is crazy.

@Podein25, @jammer2, I'm with you guys. I want good skating combined with smarts and the ability to move the puck. Ristolainen seems like the safest choice since most people seem to think he'll be ready for the NHL next year. I wouldn't at all mind Nurse though. And if by some miracle Homer manages to come away with one of those two plus one of Hagg, Morrissey or Mueller, I'll hop in the car, drive down I95 to Philly and kiss the big lug right on the mouth.

@Pods... I am thinking that Homer is going to find a way to move up and grab Nurse. They seem to be in love with the kid and I would be ecstatic if they could get him. If not I think Risto is a very fine pick at #11... I actually like Risto a lot...

@Pods... I am thinking that Homer is going to find a way to move up and grab Nurse. They seem to be in love with the kid and I would be ecstatic if they could get him. If not I think Risto is a very fine pick at #11... I actually like Risto a lot...

This would really be a dream come true if he lasts till the 11th round. Personally, my hunch is he will be grabbed much higher, which is why if I am Homer, I would target Nurse from the get-go and move maybe 3-4 spots up to secure his availability. I have a sense he will be taken ahead of Sean Monahan and Max Domi. But without a doubt, he will be the third d-man off the board after Seth and Ristolainen are taken. Although I can see Nikita Zadorov being taken ahead of him...

It's often hard to predict how these kids work out in the NHL, but based on projections and reports, Nurse would be EXACTLY what the Flyers are lacking: mean and nasty, yet having decent offensive skills. From everything I am reading, he is as ready for NHL as one can be.

Edited by Mad Dog

@Mad Dog I think a very real scenario is Monahan to Calgary and Nurse to Edmonton at 7. I just can't see how Nurse can slip by the Oilers. So, if you want him, you'd have to at least leapfrog the Oilers. As much as common sense says we need d, if we jump from 11 to 7, why not go the whole nine yards and move up 2 more spots for a guaranteed superstar forward. Plus, if you grab one of those forwards, you can turn him into any d man you want, Barkov for Dougie Hamilton etc...just an example.

• Like 1

@Mad Dog I think a very real scenario is Monahan to Calgary and Nurse to Edmonton at 7. I just can't see how Nurse can slip by the Oilers. So, if you want him, you'd have to at least leapfrog the Oilers. As much as common sense says we need d, if we jump from 11 to 7, why not go the whole nine yards and move up 2 more spots for a guaranteed superstar forward.

Yep. Most of the mock drafts project Nurse to be taken around round 10 or 11. I personally can't see that happening, which is why I am saying if... IF... the Flyers set their eyes on Nurse or Ristolainen (as they should have based on their current priorities), they *have* to move at least 3 spots up. I am saying this because moving up just 3 spots probably won't cost them that much - I am thinking maybe a prospect or someone like Sestito, and a 2nd round pick. But I wouldn't move any higher than picking at round 7 because that *will* cost more since the top 5-6 projected draftees are unbelievably good.

Plus, if you grab one of those forwards, you can turn him into any d man you want, Barkov for Dougie Hamilton etc...just an example.

True. That is always an avenue of course, although there are way too many unknowns with that scenario. Hell, the Flyers recently did just that by trading JVR for Luke Schenn. But why even go that route if you can give up relatively little to move up only 3-4 spots to gurantee you can address the most pressing need *now*? The Flyers really need a stud d-man to build the team around. Most of the successful teams showed you need one star-caliber player in each position. The Flyers have a forward star (Giroux). With Ristolainen or Nurse, they will be adding that type of a star in a d-man. Again, everything is possible, but I just can't see either of these guys failing in the NHL.

This draft is insanely deep and whoever they pick at 11th is going to be a good player (I hope). But given the fact that good d-men are so hard to come by these days, I would persoanlly move up and target one of these 2 guys.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1