offense from your defense

What's your take on what's going on?

this is the penguins of last spring, except the flyers were almost as bad as the penguins last year, whereas this year, boston isn't giving them anything. this is the ugly underbelly of the "the best defense is a good offense" philosophy. the pen's offense isn't able to carry them right now -or even hold the puck for more than a few seconds- and there is no functional defensive posture to hold them in games. too many guys who are useless when their team isn't in possession.

Cindey and LeWang are not playing well that is for sure

What a bout Iggy and Morrow too???

I thought maybe both would have a chance to be resigned after the season but now it seems they have other issues to solve...

this whole Pens team needs retooling Lehtang will be a UFA after next season....7 total UFAs after this season....HHHHhhhhhmmmm....will they return to tanking mode so they can restock or too soon????

this is the penguins of last spring, except the flyers were almost as bad as the penguins last year, whereas this year, boston isn't giving them anything. this is the ugly underbelly of the "the best defense is a good offense" philosophy. the pen's offense isn't able to carry them right now -or even hold the puck for more than a few seconds- and there is no functional defensive posture to hold them in games. too many guys who are useless when their team isn't in possession.

I have to agree. Plus it seems teams have taken note of how the Flyers play the Pens in the playoffs: get under their skin, get them trying to play physical, and they run around and do stupid crap.

I think what you stated is the primary issue. But the "under their skin" thing is part of it. So long as you do it in a disciplined way. The Isles seemed to be onto this but just didn't have enough skill/experience yet to pull it off enough to win. The Senators didn't seem to try to do this. That may have been one of the most "gentlemanly" series I've seen in a long time.

The Bruins have that smart game-plan going and have the talent to take full advantage of it.

What a bout Iggy and Morrow too???

I thought maybe both would have a chance to be resigned after the season but now it seems they have other issues to solve...

this whole Pens team needs retooling Lehtang will be a UFA after next season....7 total UFAs after this season....HHHHhhhhhmmmm....will they return to tanking mode so they can restock or too soon????

Honestly, I dont expect much from Morrow... Iginla is nto playing well either but when I look at this Pens team they need LeWang, Cindy and Malkenstein to produce for them to have a chance to get back in it... All of the talk around these parts about how great LeWang is and he has been terrible... I still think this guy is overrated and cut from the same cloth as M Green.

The fact is they need to address goaltending this offseason (Miller?) and for them to do it they are going to need to shed some salaries. It will be interesting to see what they do but I am waiting until this series is over - with the talent on this Team they can come back in the series.

Edited by murraycraven

He's the puck-moving guy we need to get our power play into the top 5.

Absolutely! :huh:

He is a nice player offensively but I just dont get why people are so in love with him... his defensive skills are average at best. I think he is overrated personally which I have brought up before and was knocked b/c he is a potential "Hall of Famer"... Nice player but not great.

Edited by murraycraven

@ruxpin... I just read this post by a Pens fan in the comments seciton of the Gazette and thought it was too good to not share:

"At some point in his career why didn't a coach make Letang a winger? He surely thinks he is one, like a duck that thinks he's a dog and barks instead of quacks. He is up for the Norris for his offense but at some point when it comes to the playoffs you have to become a more disciplined, responsible to win a series.

And doesn"t it seem every year a forward comes out of the woodwork and does a better " best player in the world" impression than Sid? Cammerilli from Montreal. Then Giroux. Now this Krejci guy. And I LOVE Sid, but isn't it time to question his leadership when we keep seeing him doing immature things and losing his head in tight series? Really?

I am not sure i would put Malkin in the horrible category. Yeah, the fight was stupid. But he is about the only Penguin that looks somewhat like himself. Most of ...game one he was dominant, just didn't translate into goals.

Martin has been awful as well, Niskanen i cringe whenever he is on the ice. Can Bortuzzo and or Despres be that bad ?

Bottom line these guys , Sid, Letang, etc, aren't kids anymore. They should be wiser, game tested, etc. And they like Fleury won a Cup and somehow have seemed to become worse in pressure situations since. How does that happen?

Reminds me of the long ago Capital series where we got outplayed badly the first two games then scrapped everything to resort to a trapping team mid series. Brilliant. Won the next 4 games if i am correct. Need something like that out of Dan here."

• Like 1

All of the talk around these parts about how great LeWang is and he has been terrible... I still think this guy is overrated and cut from the same cloth as M Green.

Totally agree....good comparison. :ph34r:

Letang is a Mike Green with a little more defense. But the recent hate brought on by his suckage brings me back to my personal philosophy about defenders: they have to be able to defend first and foremost. If they lack the most important component, they should play somewhere else.

• Like 2

If they lack the most important component, they should play somewhere else.

See that is where i'm at with always beating up poor 'ol Bruno...i know they didn't bring him here to be the next Bobby Orr...but with him it seems he can't even get in the way right!!!!!!

If i could find evidence he played so so defense sometime somewhere during a game...NO!

There was no reason for him to make the squad.

Now to bring him in for a "try out" a la Guerin then he would to have had to earn his spot (which obviously wasn't the case).

So with him being part of a plan i am sort of scared what they may do this off season just from a desperation stand point.

I want defense first...smarts so to speak...all aspects will be worked on but that is what i would want first, is he teachable and then his skating....every prospect needs to work on something....how much is the what separates them.

Sometimes...with hindsight...i'm not sure they didn't make a mistake by somehow not keeping Carle and instead trading Coburn.

We'll neva know.............

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor

Gervais was a 6/7 signing. Green and Letang are "1". Big difference in expectation. Plus, it gave more seasoning to Manning and Lauridsen. I'd say he was fine, but once the injuries started to pile on, he was in over his head. I think people need to keep perspective when vilifying players.

Now Bryz...

• Like 1

Sorry fellas was away a couple days for work and no time to catch up.

My personal opinion on this series has a couple digs to it...

8 days off hurts finesse teams more than defense first, grind style teams. You lose your timing, and bad passes, mishandling the puck, positional play... All suffer. That explained a large part of game one. Add to it that the second and third periods the Pens took a vacation and you have your loss. Just about every player on the roster went to sleep during the first intermission and never returned.

Game two seemed like they just expected someone else to do it. I never saw Sid play so poorly, Letang just forget his speed and positional play are his defensive assets, if inks looked like he wanted to go home.... The list goes on and on.

As a Letang fan who believes he's been underrated if anything, this series has been disappointing as hell watching him. He's just not himself... But that applies to them all. I've seen comments defending Malkin, and I think those are undeserved as well. The ONLY player I've seen with the right effort has been Vokoun.

What do I think is wrong? Bylsma. Team motivation is the coach's responsibility to a large degree. Sid is failing, Malkin is failing, Orpik is failing... Veterans Morrow and Iginla are failing... But in the end, Bylsma needs to rally his leaders and in turn they rally the followers.

Bylsma is a very good coach... But the lack of effort, heart, and perseverance I've seen so far this series is alarming.

I think they win tonight. I think we see them rally and the defense remember to play defense while the offense remembers to keep it simple.

Only time will tell. We have a history of coming back from 2-0 deficits with Boston. ;)

Only time will tell. We have a history of coming back from 2-0 deficits with Boston.

Things that happened 20 + years ago have no real bearing on this present situation.

That said , you're a good fan the Pens are lucky to have a guy like you rooting for them.

Things that happened 20 + years ago have no real bearing on this present situation.

That said , you're a good fan the Pens are lucky to have a guy like you rooting for them.

I know it's irrelevant other than to say it happens. If memory serves your Flyers had a huge comeback 3-0? Against this almost exact Bruins team with Rask in net and less talent than the current Pens...

Maybe that was more relevant to say?

• Like 2

I know it's irrelevant other than to say it happens. If memory serves your Flyers had a huge comeback 3-0? Against this almost exact Bruins team with Rask in net and less talent than the current Pens...

Maybe that was more relevant to say?

Honestly Polaris... as bad as the Pens have been this series I dont think you can ever count them out. They have all-world talent and if they win tonight the series totally changes IMO.

Did they announce who is in goal yet?

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

@Polaris922

yes, that would be more relevant.

They also have used that series as an "alamo" type moment and have won a cup since then. so that sword cuts both ways maybe good for the Pens to look at that series for motivation but they should realize those Bruins players are doing the same.

the only reason the flyers were able to come back in that series was Richards broke Krecji's arm IMO , so dress Engellend and have him get on that...

• Like 2

Honestly Polaris... as bad as the Pens have been this series I dont think you can ever count them out. They have all-world talent and if they win tonight the series totally changes IMO.

Did they announce who is in goal yet?

They did this afternoon. You've probably seen by now but Vokoun.

• 2 weeks later...

if mez and coburn goes and homer resigns huskins, i think he was solid what you think of this line up

timms-schenn

streit-grossmen

guf-huskins

that's a good pairing, you have 3 guys who can shoot the puck timms, strieit, guf and shutdown defense in shenn, grossmen,huskins