Bryz: Trying to get out?

Guest murraycraven

@aziz

Posted this in another thread. It's not really applicable to Bryz since he can get bought out and still be paid for the next 200 years, but if he retires, can he play in the KHL right away. Just a pipedream I know, but it got me thinking about the agreement between the KHL/NHL.

@flyercanuck

Radulov went to the KHL five days before the can't-go-to-the-other-league-while-under-contact-with-the-first agreement was signed. Some people actually call it the radulov rule. I don't think the KHL is an option for bryzgalov unless he's bought out. Which really does smell like the point to his latest crazy person routine.

The team bad playing is not fault of Bryz, he played very well in this short season. The problem is when team cant' clear the puck from own zone for 2 min then it's nothing to do with goalie. A lot guy swho should be doing this did not play at all, like Talbot, Giroux with -7 on season, all top line is -7!!!! people look at stats before saying anything abut Bryz. In defense only Timmo is plus player. Common.

Bryz is idiot but good goalie with better defense and players can play defense.

Who was the last guy that hated the media and was dealt out of town?

Maybe Bryz figures that's how you win a Cup...

I'm in favor of removing the distraction to see if the problem actually gets solved.

Yea, he wasn't trying to get dealt out of town tho.

Don't get me started on that trade.

@phlfly

Bryz is idiot but good goalie with better defense and players can play defense

Put a good enough defence on the ice and I'd be a good NHL goalie, too.

Also, I disagree with the idea that the goalie has no impact on the play of the team in front of him. If the goalie can't be trusted to make routine saves, kicks rebounds into the slot, can't effectively move from post to post, the team will invariably feel they have to cover for him. They'll be desperate to keep everything away from the net, and this means they'll individually overplay their positions. Checks will be abandoned as players chase pucks in a panic, lest bryzgalov be asked to carry his share of the load.

And what did we see this season? A very low shots against total, as the flyers did a good job limiting pucks on net overall, but out of position players unable to organize breakouts and an inordinately high number of odd man situations deep in the zone. Panic and disorganization, as though a single shot that got through would be one too many for their goaltender to handle.

• Like 1

@phlfly

Ya, he's a really good goalie. Ok, sorry, I can't keep a straight face. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Show me when he is bad comapre team with same points.

Jets .905/2,8

Flyers .900/2.7

NJ .901/2.2

Coyt .910/2.2

Stars .916/2.66

Ed .920/2.57

So Bryz is avg in this group where teams had about 48 point + - 3 points.

Jets .905/2,8

Flyers .900/2.7

NJ .901/2.2

Coyt .910/2.2

Stars .916/2.66

Ed .920/2.57

Now... lets look at those same goalies in terms of salary cap and % of salary cap hit.

Ed: 3.5

Winn: 3.9

NJ: 4.5

Yotes: 2.1

Stars: 3.5

So, even among the Teams that suck we still have the worst or near worst goalie in terms of stats and we are paying him, on average, 2M dollars more than the other bad teams? And that makes sense?!?!

Take away Marty's salary and we are paying Bryz 2.5 more!

Edited by murraycraven

Jets .905/2,8

Flyers .900/2.7

NJ .901/2.2

Coyt .910/2.2

Stars .916/2.66

Ed .920/2.57

OK, I don't know what you're looking at but I'm seeing the worst save percentage out of the entire lot and the 2nd worst (.1 off the worst) GAA. That doesn't equal average, it equals the worst.

I'll just point out again that the offense dropped .4 goals per game (3.12 in 11-12 to 2.73 in 2013).

Team GAA went from 2.70 in 11-12 up to 2.87 in 2013.

The problem clearly lies more with an offense that dropped more than twice as much as GAA went up. There isn't a goalie in the league that can make up a .4 gpg drop in offensive production.

Again, last year Pekka Rinne was a Vezina Finalist: 2.39/.923. Yes, his SV% dropped to .910 this season, but his GAA only went up to 2.43.

A .04 increase in GAA took him from 43-18-8 to 15-16-8.

Why?

Nashville went from 2.79 gpg to a worst in the league 2.23.

To be clear: Bryz needs to be bought out. But that's not going to magically solve the problem by itself.

Of course he wants out. Flyers will not make a playoff next two-three years, being with Pitts, Caps, Rags, NJ, Isles.

Heck, throw in the Blue Jackets with Bobrovsky now just to rub some more salt in the wound. That's going to make those games real interesting. Columbus is getting better and won't be the pushover they were for decades.

I'll just point out again that the offense dropped .4 goals per game (3.12 in 11-12 to 2.73 in 2013).

Team GAA went from 2.70 in 11-12 up to 2.87 in 2013.

The problem clearly lies more with an offense that dropped more than twice as much as GAA went up. There isn't a goalie in the league that can make up a .4 gpg drop in offensive production.

Again, last year Pekka Rinne was a Vezina Finalist: 2.39/.923. Yes, his SV% dropped to .910 this season, but his GAA only went up to 2.43.

A .04 increase in GAA took him from 43-18-8 to 15-16-8.

Why?

Nashville went from 2.79 gpg to a worst in the league 2.23.

To be clear: Bryz needs to be bought out. But that's not going to magically solve the problem by itself.

Rad... this is where it keeps getting repeated by some people ignore. Most of us agree that Bryz is not the only reason this team is bad right now. If you believe Bryz is the single causes than there is really no discussion... Bryz is one the problems but also happens to be one of the most expensive and biggest distractions on this team - all the while not even coming close to earn the money he is being paid. Bryz is an easy fix and it needs to be fixed... no one is saying that it is his fault only...

• Like 3

I backup Bryz comments to a certain point due to his ignorance of the whole situation he see's, since he can't fully understand his perception of this reality.

I also backup the thought he needs to be bought out, "too Much money To Do About Nothing."

I give Briere one more tryout year to make his bed. He has to play center, with Hartnell on his wing and a good puck controlling right winger(Jake).

McGinn and Gagne on first line.

Whats better: Controlled evil or Chaotic evil, in what world would you live in. His country was in chaos during the Stalin era.

We live in controlled evil here in the Americas(where someone can go to jail their whole life and come out innocent), Russia is now again back to Chaotic evil(I like your jewelry, I think I'll take this along with that there too), like the taliban, year after year after year.

I actually posted alot more in depth comments on this whole thing but it got deleted. But in my life experience Lawful evil is easier to live in than Chaotic evil.

@radoran

There isn't a goalie in the league that can make up a .4 gpg drop in offensive production

I'm not sure I see a context-less inherent connection. That offensive decline still saw the flyers as the ninth most prolific goal scoring team in the league, down from third Tdraine size of the drop is meaningless, what it drops to is the critical thing. A team averaging 10 goals per game one s could lose 5 goals per game the next and still dominate.

The fact that the flyers 9th best goals-for average couldn't compensate for their 23rd worst goals-against was the problem. Not that they only scored more than 20 teams instead of 27. If your offense has to be the elite of the elite to overcome your piss poor goaltending...the offense isn't the issue.

The league average goals against was 2.61. The flyers goals for of 2.73 should have been more than enough for a successful season. Regardless of how much of a drop that 2.73 was from the season prior.

• Like 1

Stats are a funny thing, and some clever people can massage the numbers to tell whatever story they want, but at the end of the day, intangibles usually reign supreme. Brandon Prust is a scrub, but he's always there when you need him. Clutch. On the other hand, you have the entire roster of the San Jose Sharks (how about those playoffs).

Bryz is NOT there when the Flyers need him. Every *****g breakaway or odd man rush goes in. The team hunkers down this past season, cuts down on the shots, and he still sucks in aggregate. How about that shootout record? Yikes. Bryz doesn't make those saves either, the shoots have to flat out miss the net. And guess what? Those are points in the standings (grudgingly).

His stats aren't great, but he's paid to be. His stats are rather pedestrian to be honest, and combined with the walking train wreck he is in the media and in the 'room', he has to go.

It really isn't personal. He seems like a thoughtful, albeit flighty guy. Within his own culture, his antics might be more acceptable. The problem is, goalies need to be focused constantly, and teams have to find a common culture to rally around. In closing, I'll draw a comparison based on that last point: Bryz is the turd that turns the toilet brown and stinks up the public restroom.

Edited by doom88
  • Like 3

Stats are a funny thing, and some clever people can massage the numbers to tell whatever story they want, but at the end of the day, intangibles usually reign supreme. Brandon Prust is a scrub, but he's always there when you need him. Clutch. On the other hand, you have the entire roster of the San Jose Sharks (how about those playoffs).

Bryz is NOT there when the Flyers need him. Every *****g breakaway or odd man rush goes in. The team hunkers down this past season, cuts down on the shots, and he still sucks in aggregate. How about that shootout record? Yikes. Bryz doesn't make those saves either, the shoots have to flat out miss the net. And guess what? Those are points in the standings (grudgingly).

His stats aren't great, but he's paid to be. His stats are rather pedestrian to be honest, and combined with the walking train wreck he is in the media and in the 'room', he has to go.

It really isn't personal. He seems like a thoughtful, albeit flighty guy. Within his own culture, his antics might be more acceptable. The problem is, goalies need to be focused constantly, and teams have to find a common culture to rally around. In closing, I'll draw a comparison based on that last point: Bryz is the turd that turns the toilet brown and stinks up the public restroom.

Doom - this might be the most thoughtful post on the subject yet and I could not have said it better myself. I certainly appreciate your comparison of Bryz and deficating. Well said sir!

• Like 2

The league average goals against was 2.61. The flyers goals for of 2.73 should have been more than enough for a successful season. Regardless of how much of a drop that 2.73 was from the season prior.

No, that means you c/should have about a .500 season. Depends on your definition of "successful". One might say that 23-22-3 is exactly what you get in that situation. If the Flyers score 3.1 gpg as opposed to 2.7 and their GAA remains exactly the same at 23rd-worst in the league, you would likely have seen at least the six or seven points that puts them into the playoffs.

The Islanders made the playoffs this season, even though their GFA was .02 below their GAA. But their scoring went from 2.35 to 2.77.

Again, Pekka Rinne saw his GAA go up .04 and went from a .681 Vezina candidate to a .481 goalie.

Goalies can "steal a game" on occasion, but goal scoring wins hockey games every time.

Stats are a funny thing, and some clever people can massage the numbers to tell whatever story they want, but at the end of the day, intangibles usually reign supreme.

Goals reign supreme. Every time.

Again, nothing in this is to say that Bryzgalov shouldn't be bought out. He simply must be.

But the theory that buying Bryz out immediately solves the problems this franchise has is seriously flawed.

Goals reign supreme. Every time.

Again, nothing in this is to say that Bryzgalov shouldn't be bought out. He simply must be.

But the theory that buying Bryz out immediately solves the problems this franchise has is seriously flawed.

Not saying it fixes the franchise, and I don't think anyone is. It's a team, and they all need to work hard. Goalie does happen to be the most important position though, and requires an excellent team to overcome mediocrity at the position. It's that important.