Carchidi says Yandle = Coby+Couts+"a draft pick"

Guest canoli

Name me a defenseman in our series who was! Lol. But Letang is always a candidate for Norris, even injury shortened like this year. You need a guy like that.

Maybe if he wasn't so busy trying to give himself whiplash I'd have a bit more respect for him. And no, you don't need a guy like that.

The fact remains that these guys make a huge impact defensively as well. They're offensive talents, but their ability to transition from defense to the breakout game reduces turnovers, reduces opponent scoring opportunities, and increases the chances that your team wins the game. Case in point... Many Flyers fans think Letang is soft, but when he's not in our lineup, we have a worse winning percentage then when either Crosby or Malkin are out. So you tell me how important that offensive skill set is in your number one D man.

Oh I know how important intangibles are, and I don't think you need a lineup entirely composed of body smashers to be successful. I was slightly devaluing the Norris for not aligning with my opinion on what makes a defenseman the best. I'd take a strong defender with some offense over an offensively gifted defender with defensive deficiencies.

Defending in the defensive zone remains my top priority, followed by passing and skating. PP conduits are nice, but an extra bonus. Joining the rush is pretty much at the bottom of my list, though a valuable asset.

Essentially, Mike Green sucks.

Oh I know how important intangibles are, and I don't think you need a lineup entirely composed of body smashers to be successful. I was slightly devaluing the Norris for not aligning with my opinion on what makes a defenseman the best. I'd take a strong defender with some offense over an offensively gifted defender with defensive deficiencies.

Defending in the defensive zone remains my top priority, followed by passing and skating. PP conduits are nice, but an extra bonus. Joining the rush is pretty much at the bottom of my list, though a valuable asset.

Essentially, Mike Green sucks.

Right... but it's ok to have ONE Mike Green type in the lineup. Letang, Karlsson, Yandle, they are all essentially Mike Green-types to a degree. Karlsson is not a great defender in his zone, but he's dynamite on the transition and in the offensive zone. Same with Letang. Yandle, I admit I don't watch much, but he's the same mold from what I hear. Carle is another one.

So, I think we saw first hand what the loss of that kind of defenseman does to our transition game. I would love to pickup Streit for ONE year, but not the three years that someone was suggesting. It's a 35+ contract, and it would be asking for trouble.

Also, Gus is developing into that kind of defenseman. In the games where he was mainly paired with Timo, he looked very strong on the transition and in the offensive zone. Great pinches, creating offense, and smooth passes that we often lack from the point. I think he will develop into a mini-Timo.

They also had to trade staal not just because he wanted to play with his brother but they can't commit 5-6 mill cap hit for a third line center leaving then with what 5 mil of cap space at seasons end. Now they have seven. With Cooke , dupries, Kennedy , and the traded players they just got. Also other rfa players. Yes this year coming up they may be able to keep the team together minus traded for players but after next season with malkin and letang and then orpik I don't see how it's possible.

You are incorrect. Staal was offered $6 million per year for ten years... Exactly what he signed for in Carolina. He wanted to be a 1 or 2 center and to play with his brothers. Personally he was the most overrated Penguin in recent history so I'm glad he went.

Edited by Polaris922