Carchidi says Yandle = Coby+Couts+"a draft pick"

Guest canoli

We've been over this; I like Yandle. I like him more than Carle, who I appreciated more than most when he was here. But I wouldn't give up both Coburn and Couturier for him...one or the other maybe, and if it's Couts then throw in a pick. But apparently Carchidi thinks Yandle is worth 2 roster players plus one of our picks. Does this make any sense?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130428_Inside_the_Flyers___Bryzgalov_takes_a_realistic_view.html

"If Holmgren can somehow pry Keith Yandle from Phoenix - would Sean Couturier, Braydon Coburn and a draft pick get it done? - the Flyers would have a defensive cornerstone."

It would get the deal done, and Homer either fired by Snider, or vengeance now from the angry mob.

I don't want Yandle, or any other external defenders right now. Let the guys here grow and develop their games individually and in tandem for chemistry.

• Like 4

I would've said Coburn + 2R is plenty for Yandle. Not that either team should do a dumb deal like that of course...

I read the other day that MAB was back practicing with the team. Just in time for... Oh well, it's good news anyway... god only knows if he can pick up where he left off.

• Like 1

I would've said Coburn + 2R is plenty for Yandle. Not that either team should do a dumb deal like that of course...

I read the other day that MAB was back practicing with the team. Just in time for... Oh well, it's good news anyway... god only knows if he can pick up where he left off.

I think if healthy, MAB will be fine. He got a taste of the NHL and watched his buddy Marshall fail. Hunger and motivation are absolutely there.

Again, if healthy. Hope so.

Yes Yandle is that type of defenseman. He was 10 goals 20 assists... 5 goals of which were even strength. He had 130 shots on goal this season... compare that to TImonen's 78. He played a little more than TImonen, but I would argue his minutes are a lot more productive than Timonen's at this point in his career. He is a cornerstone defenseman, and well worth Coburn and Couturier. I like the promise Couturier shows, but he is an unproven commodity in a position where you have great depth. There are few players I would say worth trading Couturier for, but Yandle is one of them. He did all that with less talent around him than he would have in Philly... and you have to give to get, especially a quality offensive defenseman.

• Like 2

Yes Yandle is that type of defenseman. He was 10 goals 20 assists... 5 goals of which were even strength. He had 130 shots on goal this season... compare that to TImonen's 78. He played a little more than TImonen, but I would argue his minutes are a lot more productive than Timonen's at this point in his career. He is a cornerstone defenseman, and well worth Coburn and Couturier. I like the promise Couturier shows, but he is an unproven commodity in a position where you have great depth. There are few players I would say worth trading Couturier for, but Yandle is one of them. He did all that with less talent around him than he would have in Philly... and you have to give to get, especially a quality offensive defenseman.

I agree with what you said but Coby, Couts, and a draft pick (unless we're talking 3rd round 2015) is too much for Yandle. I know the jury is still out on Couts but I think there is real potential there, I'm talking Selke potential in his career. It may not pan out but I'd really like to hang on to him to see. Now if you are talking Coby (or even Mez) and a 2nd next year (do we have any of those? :wacko:) or a first in 2015 or some other variation, then you have my attention, but I doubt we have Phoenix's.

We've been over this; I like Yandle. I like him more than Carle, who I appreciated more than most when he was here. But I wouldn't give up both Coburn and Couturier for him...one or the other maybe, and if it's Couts then throw in a pick. But apparently Carchidi thinks Yandle is worth 2 roster players plus one of our picks. Does this make any sense?

http://www.philly.co...istic_view.html

"If Holmgren can somehow pry Keith Yandle from Phoenix - would Sean Couturier, Braydon Coburn and a draft pick get it done? - the Flyers would have a defensive cornerstone."

Does it make sense? He11 no! Yandle isnt worth Coburn and the pick let alone Couts,Coburn and a pick. Yandle is not much different than Carle, who was no where close to being worth what he got paid!. 5.5 million for a soft,turnover machine, thanks tampa. Yandle isn't a "cornerstone" defenseman from what I've seen,

• Like 3

Does it make sense? He11 no! Yandle isnt worth Coburn and the pick let alone Couts,Coburn and a pick. Yandle is not much different than Carle, who was no where close to being worth what he got paid!. 5.5 million for a soft,turnover machine, thanks tampa. Yandle isn't a "cornerstone" defenseman from what I've seen,

From what you're saying, it appears that the market for that sort of player is exactly in the $5M range.

It may be ridiculous - and I agree it is - but that is where the market is.

That said, there is absolutely no reason Phoenix will deal Yandle unless you blow their doors off with an offer.

I must be in the minority here but Yandle is not "that type" of defenseman. Everyone around these parts wanted Carle gone and Yandle is very much the same player. He turns the puck over a lot and you are going to have to pay him more than Carle. He is a very good player but not worth the bounty you are going to have to pay the Yotes. I think Yandle is a very good #2 type defensmen but not a cornerstone #1.

I rather keep Cooter and Coburn and go in a different direction but with Homer you never know what is going to happen.

• Like 1

I must be in the minority here but Yandle is not "that type" of defenseman. Everyone around these parts wanted Carle gone and Yandle is very much the same player. He turns the puck over a lot and you are going to have to pay him more than Carle. He is a very good player but not worth the bounty you are going to have to pay the Yotes. I think Yandle is a very good #2 type defensmen but not a cornerstone #1.

I rather keep Cooter and Coburn and go in a different direction but with Homer you never know what is going to happen.

I agree MC. I was never a huge Carle fan, although I did not completely dislike him either, but I certainly do not blame the Flyers for not signing him to a contract like he got from TB. We can lament how much this team misses Carle till we are blue in the face, but Carle nor Yandle would have done anything to prevent this season from happening. Both are prone to turn overs, something that killed them this year. Neither is the shut down defenseman that would have stablized this group in the face of so many injuries. The guy who is most missed is Pronger IMO.

They miss Carle on the breakout and on the PP, although the PP did just fine without him, and they also miss his ability to join the rush and create some offense. The problem is, this team should have more then enough offense from their forwards, that they could do without a guy like Yandle or Carle to create the offense from the blue line.

Turnovers and missed assignments killed them this year, even before the injuries. If they are going to pay a kings ransom, they need to do it for a shut down #1 defenseman. Not sure that this type of player will be available this offseason and I don't think they will be in a good enough draft position to pick one up in the draft, which is why I would not be shocked if they did actually trade away the farm for Yandle, at which point I would have rather they just over-paid for Carle last year!

I know I'll probably get killed by some for this post, since Carle has had somewhat of a revival of supporters this year, but I don't think he was worth that cap hit last year and I don't think Yandle is worth Coby, Coots and 1st round pick!

• Like 1

@adamsflyers

not going to kill you about your post there, though i do want to say guys with yandle/ carle's skating ability handle the puck a great deal more than their less mobile partners, so they will have more turnovers because they have more opportunity and face more forechecking pressure.

Carle got 5.5 over what 5 years... buddy that's what the market is for a guy with his set of skills, we could have had him for 5.25 which would have been a bargain.

i was on the "he's not worth the money" boat too until a guy (james wisnewski) signed his contract that was in the carle ball park for term and cap hit and carle has had better numbers and is a better player... so yeah it sucks but the market for those puck moving defensmen is rather bullish .

those speedy guys win the race to the puck in the corner, don't panic when a guy is bearing down on them, and create opportunities for offense going the other way, who on our team did that for us this year ?

• Like 2