Homer: Bryz will NOT be bought out this year

Guest brelic

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers buy out Bryzgalov before next season?

• Yes
    • No

And if that weren't enough, there's a rift between Lavi and Bryz and BOTH are staying.

This should be fun :blink:

Will the Philadelphia Flyers buy out goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov?

Dreger: Pierre LeBrun spoke with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren and was informed that Bryzgalov wouldn't be bought out this off-season. There is a rift between coach Peter Laviolette and Bryzgalov, but there doesn't appear to be a coaching change so it's up to both men to work out their issues.

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=421695

@brelic

ah, what's another goalie controversy?

One thing that was said by Lavy recently was that having the ability for the goalie to pass the puck and help out the defense was a plus. Probably Lavy stated that next season Mason will have a legit chance to be the starting goaltender also.

If Mason can play acceptably well, as he's done thus far. I see no reason to pay thrice the amount in goal (unless you really don't want to pony up the cash?). If not, no hurry until this time next year to change horses. What will Homer do? We've seen him use reverse psychology before, I dunno? Gosh, I really hope he doesn't get into another bike crash again!

@brelic

ah, what's another goalie controversy?

One thing that was said by Lavy recently was that having the ability for the goalie to pass the puck and help out the defense was a plus. Probably Lavy stated that next season Mason will have a legit chance to be the starting goaltender also.

We haven't had a goalie controversy in at least a year. We were due!

Yeah, I noticed that about Lavy's quote. Did you notice how the other Flyers players were gushing over Mason? They seemed like thinly-veiled barbs at Bryz... saying Mason gives them a chance to win, he helps out the team with his puckhandling, he kept them in the game, etc.

Did you notice how the other Flyers players were gushing over Mason?

Yep, while don't think there is enough yet that completely separates Bryz from the team. It definitely sends a message to Bryz that he has stuff to work on this summer.

Dreger's a good reporter, but throwing that statement out regarding a riff, and not elaborating is poor journalism. Even a one sentence explanation would suffice..."there is a riff between Lavy and Bryz due to "insert issue here".

• Like 4

And if that weren't enough, there's a rift between Lavi and Bryz and BOTH are staying.

This should be fun :blink:

I hear that Ryan Miller and Lindy Ruff might be available... :ph34r:

Anyone "shocked" that they are bringing Bryz back really shouldn't be.

Dreger's a good reporter, but throwing that statement out regarding a riff, and not elaborating is poor journalism. Even a one sentence explanation would suffice..."there is a riff between Lavy and Bryz due to "insert issue here".

it's undoubtedly related to the Bryz quote where he says he "can't talk about it."

Speculation, absolutely - or else there would be elaboration.

There are no molehills that don't look like the Himalayas to "journalists."

Anyone "shocked" that they are bringing Bryz back really shouldn't be.

I am okay with Bryz staying one more year......if it is as a back up and not starter. Mason's puck handling abilities is the equivalent of adding a 3rd defenseman on the ice. When he leaves the crease it is with purpose, not like he is Chevy Chase doing his next SNL falling down skit. I am not surprised that Lavi is not happy with Bryz either. Bryz was given not one but two seasons to prove he could be the man and he has failed miserably both times. They even went so far as to get rid of a credible back up so he would not be looking over his shoulder. Bryz has been given enough rope to hang himself and in my opinion, has done a damn fine job.....of hanging himself......

• Like 1

I am okay with Bryz staying one more year......if it is as a back up and not starter. Mason's puck handling abilities is the equivalent of adding a 3rd defenseman on the ice. When he leaves the crease it is with purpose, not like he is Chevy Chase doing his next SNL falling down skit. I am not surprised that Lavi is not happy with Bryz either. Bryz was given not one but two seasons to prove he could be the man and he has failed miserably both times. They even went so far as to get rid of a credible back up so he would not be looking over his shoulder. Bryz has been given enough rope to hang himself and in my opinion, has done a damn fine job.....of hanging himself......

Again, I look at February. Starting Bryz in 11 of 12 games in a 21 day stretch, including both ends of two of three back-to-backs is simply irresponsible conduct by a head coach.

Doubly irresponsible for the GM that couldn't provide a capable backup in a 48-game season.

The fact is Bryz will be the primary starter next year, until and unless Mason emerges clearly as the winner (which is certainly possible).

In any event, don't expect Bryz in 14-15.

• Like 2

Gotta agree with DGG here... what piss poor journalism honestly.

Look, if Bryz is around one more year I can live with it... Mason pushing him might be what this nutjob needs. If not there is always the buyout next year. I dont see the Flyers being in a position of contention for another 2-3 years honestly. The defense needs a major overhaul and we need another scoring winger - this is easier than projecting what our youth is going to do over the next year or so... I am more than willing to scrap the "win now" BS this Org has been stuck in forever and let this core group (young core group in fact) grow together.

If Peter and Bryz are not buddies I could care less... Keenan's players despised him and most were actually sane unlike our Cosmo Cant Move Laterally Nutjob Goaltender...

A). Mistake to not buy bryzgalov out as soon as possible.

B). Holmgren doesn't exactly have a track record of doing what he says he'll do as regards off season player movement. See Richards, Carter, Bobrovsky. As always, statements to the press are worth every penny of the paper they are printed on. Especially given that it isn't actually printed.

B). Holmgren doesn't exactly have a track record of doing what he says he'll do as regards off season player movement. See Richards, Carter, Bobrovsky. As always, statements to the press are worth every penny of the paper they are printed on. Especially given that it isn't actually printed.

Yep. The Flyers have no interest in Comrie.

Homer is 100% Bob Clarke's protege.

How'd that go again?

Change we can believe in :ph34r:

then why keep him around at that salary?

For one thing, there is the very real possibility that the Flyers management does not hate him as much as a certain percentage of the fan base does. For another, there is no pressing reason to buy him out (assuming they buy out Briere) unless you really need the cap space. There are no real attractive free agents that look to meet the Flyers needs, so why rush it when you can always buy him out next year.

Also, there is certainly the possibility that Mason craps the bed. He's been in a low pressure situation this year, I don't particularly like the idea of just handing him the starting job next year. If the Flyers can address the needs on defense, Bryz will probably be at least respectable (which he was for much of this year, before wearing down because the Flyers lacked a credible backup).

• Like 2

then why keep him around at that salary?

Because it takes 2 years off of the boat anchor buyout. Myself, I would give Mason the lion's share of starts next season and see if he can carry the load. It has to be Bryz's job to win the starter position back. I also would use a shoot out contest to see is the starter next season.... :ph34r:

Keeping this guy around is a bad idea for a number of reasons. Evaluating players, esp young players is difficult even in the best of circumstances. Having them play in front of a weak goalie makes it that much harder.

Bryzgalov is notorious for spraying rebounds, which means less stops. All that chasing is hard work. Besides the usual consequences of loose rebounds, that "extra" work adds up; guys tire quicker than if they were getting more FO breaks.

Eventually it adds up over a season. First it's the legs then it's their mindset. Who wants to play with a guy who makes you work twice as hard every night? I think that's what we're hearing in the quotes re: Mason, that extra work taking its toll on the players.

The sooner he's gone the better.

@flyerrod

Because it takes 2 years off of the boat anchor buyout

What does that matter? No cap hit to it, so why is it a motivating factor?

Plus, any years bought out will only cost 66 cents on the dollar. I don't remember what bryzgalov's cash salary is next season, but why pay all of it when you can only pay two thirds?

The *only* reason to not by him out this summer is if management is entertaining the idea of not buying him out at all.

• Like 1

Because it takes 2 years off of the boat anchor buyout. Myself, I would give Mason the lion's share of starts next season and see if he can carry the load. It has to be Bryz's job to win the starter position back. I also would use a shoot out contest to see is the starter next season.... :ph34r:

--makes no sense with all due respect. My question was in relation to Bryz not starting as you suggested. It is pointless to keep Bryz around as a backup with that salary hit.

If you and Jack think a 5m per year backup is smart then OK but to me it makes no sense. Bryz is either the started or he is bought out. If Mason starts the season as #2 and then wins the job OK... but Bryz should be the starter on day 1

The *only* reason to not by him out this summer is if management is entertaining the idea of not buying him out at all.

I'm sure they are entertaining that thought. I'm sure they would like to reap the vindication of the deal working out.

I don't expect that to happen.

But, for the record, there are more reasons not to buy Bryz out, not the least of which would be a totally unproven starter (Mason) and the glaring lack of a backup (Michael Leighton says "hi").

Yes, they could go out and just grab anyone off the shelf to back up Mason, because that strategy worked so well this season....

Bryz is a security blanket for Mason. Mason doesn't need to be "the starter" and can work on his game and try to prove he can do the job.

--makes no sense with all due respect. My question was in relation to Bryz not starting as you suggested. It is pointless to keep Bryz around as a backup with that salary hit.

If you and Jack think a 5m per year backup is smart then OK but to me it makes no sense. Bryz is either the started or he is bought out. If Mason starts the season as #2 and then wins the job OK... but Bryz should be the starter on day 1

Number one) I WANT BRYZ GONE! I am only trying to reason out how it makes any sense to keep him as management keeps saying they are going to. His stats say he is a poor back up at best. His play on the ice thus far for the flyers leans to the he is outta here. Bryz should not be the starter from day one unless he somehow figures out how to stop a breakaway.......and it is management that would keep him around as a back up at 5 mil, not me.....

Edited by flyerrod
  • Like 2