interesting facts on brayden schenn/courturier/laughton

Guest toughfighter83

ok if schenn and courturier still struggles next year, i would rather see them back to phantoms to get them developed better, i think the main problem is the gm and coach is pushing these young players too hard. there are buy out players coming in the summer, i would hope the gm would go after them and maybe they will make a difference for this team while the young players get more development in the ahl and if there's a new coach he will use them the right way when they come back to the team.

right now that's no accountability with this team, lav doesnt bench players that dont play. that's the problem i have with him.

ok if schenn and courturier still struggles next year, i would rather see them back to phantoms to get them developed better, i think the main problem is the gm and coach is pushing these young players too hard. there are buy out players coming in the summer, i would hope the gm would go after them and maybe they will make a difference for this team while the young players get more development in the ahl and if there's a new coach he will use them the right way when they come back to the team.

right now that's no accountability with this team, lav doesnt bench players that dont play. that's the problem i have with him.

-- Dude, you dont take two year players of their ability and stash them in the AHL. You let them grow and develop w/ the big boys...

-- Dude, you dont take two year players of their ability and stash them in the AHL. You let them grow and develop w/ the big boys...

they are still young , if the coach feels these guys are not playing the way they are suppose to play, you send them down, it's called accountability, you dont play favorites, that's the reason why this team is not going anywhere, the coach is playing the players that dont play right.

Edited by toughfighter83

You want Schenn and Couts in the AHL and develop there???

I can't take this post seriously. Sorry man, not trying to be rude or disrespectful.

they are still young , if the coach feels these guys are not playing the way they are suppose to play, you send them down, it's called accountability, you dont play favorites, that's the reason why this team is not going anywhere, the coach is playing the players that dont play right.

-- so based on that logic Bryz and Briere should be stashed too, right? What your suggesting is pure fantasy... you have very highly regarded young players (who everyone tries to get in a trade) and you bury them in the minors?!? Makes no sense from the players perspective, coaching perspective and organizational perspective...

I also think you fail to see that they are 2nd year players who are incredibly young.

Edited by murraycraven

@toughfighter83

there is nothing for Couterier and Schenn to learn in the A...

Schenn was a point a game in that league, he was clocking it, Couterier was just a shade behind with his scoring. If you want them to regress, send them back, their play this year wasn't stellar but they will be better pros down the line because of it. They now know where their games need to go, what parts to work on and i'll bet you they work on those parts this offseason. Schenn sees second unit PP time and Couterier is on the PK, in the NHL now...I'm trying really hard to see why you would think more time in the A would be helpful, and coming up with , nothing.

-- so based on that logic Bryz and Briere should be stashed too, right? What your suggesting is pure fantasy... you have very highly regarded young players (who everyone tries to get in a trade) and you bury them in the minors?!? Makes no sense from the players perspective, coaching perspective and organizational perspective...

I also think you fail to see that they are 2nd year players who are incredibly young.

ok, what if they are busts and dont play the way you want them to? like in two years, they play the same way they are playing now, you still want them on this team?

Edited by toughfighter83

@toughfighter83

No, in two years if they aren't playing well, you trade them or just don't sign them to new contracts. They are both FAs in the summer of 2014.

You only send young players to the minors if you feel they can learn something there. Both schenn and couturier need to be in the NHL to move forward. You can bench them if you want accountability. Reduce their ice time. Sending them down does nothing but expose them to waivers, though.

And, really, what is the problem with schenn? 21 years old, .57 points per game... That's not bad for a second year player. Would be 46 points or so in a full season. Jeff carter had 37 points in his second station. Mike Richards, 32. Giroux, 47. What is it you expected?

Couturier, yeah, someone needs to figure out what is going in there and fix it. Kick in the ass might be needed. But sending to the minors is silly.

• Like 2

Briere's performance isn't the problem. It's the symptom. The problem is he is playing out of positi

No. I'm sorry. I don't buy this. Last year and the year before he sucked at center and everyone tried to claim it was because he'd be better off at wing. Now he's at wing and people--not just you, I've seen this elsewhere--now say he sucks because he's on wing and is better off at center.

The problem is he is not the player he was (briefly) with the Sabres and his first year maybe two with the Flyers.

You and others have mentioned leadership and what he's done for the team. In a non-cap era we're not even having this discussion. He'd simply stay.

But for cap reasons, he has to go. I don't think a trade is an option unless we hold off until next year's deadline. At that point, the return won't be the same because we'll likely be limited to a list of his teams he'll go to because of his NMC. Plus, we'd have to still be lousy and sellers by then.

Jettison him this summer and move on. Thanks for the memories, Danny.

• Like 1

If we were to trade Briere to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan and considerations.

Sorry for the double post but I missed this the first time. WHAT??? Have you been drinking? It would be Briere AND considerations for Bobby Ryan. And the Ducks would have to be sniffing glue while doing it. No way Ryan and Briere are involved in a trade unless we're sending a VERY high draft pick.

I'm sorry. I really don't mean to pile on, but MurrayCraven and ctid are right, it's really hard to take this seriously. It just simply isn't an option without waivers at this point. And there's absolutely no way that every single other of the 29 teams don't line up to take them with a "thanks, dumb ass" note on Holmgren's voice mail if he were to have a brain stem injury and actually followed this line of thought.

And even without waivers, there's no way on God's green earth that they'd be sent down by ANY general manager or coach in this league. Sorry, it's just bat's ass nuts.

if schenn and courturier still struggles next year, i would rather see them back to phantoms to get them developed better, i think the main problem is the gm and coach is pushing these young players too hard

I 100% agree with you there as far as sending them down to the minors. I think though the person that is pushing these young guys to hard is not the GM or the coach...its the owner....

I'm having a hard time seeing where Brayden Schenn is struggling this year, he's been good, not great but he's 20 and I see a lot of promise with him. His effort is there , he plays physically, he could be stronger on his skates, but I've seen improvement there already and feel confident in a year maybe two he'll be dynamite.

I'm having a hard time seeing where Brayden Schenn is struggling this year, he's been good, not great but he's 20 and I see a lot of promise with him. His effort is there , he plays physically, he could be stronger on his skates, but I've seen improvement there already and feel confident in a year maybe two he'll be dynamite.

that's one of the problems with courts and schenn is that they look slow on the skates including giroux i might add, they look fast one game and another game they look slow and lost.

As far as I can tell, Brayden Schenn is still has 42 games before he loses his waiver exemption. Couturier still has 29 games.

So, technically speaking, they could be sent to the minors without waiver implications. It's still an incredibly poor idea.

I could see a weak argument for sending Couturier down to work on skating, but I think that's more for something to work on offseason. As far as hockey sense or vision, the AHL will only hurt, not help.

I don't see any argument whatsoever for Schenn. Between the lockout this year and the illness/injury last year, he has yet to play a regular-length season. He's played quite well this year, actually, so I really don't get why his name is even included in this beyond idiotic thread.

• Like 3

"Laughton is not a highly skilled player and it remains to be seen how he'll develop in this area, but he should be an effective third-line player with some potential for second-line duty."

Did the fine people from hockey futures ever see him play? He's no star, but to call Scott "not highly skilled" is a bit harsh. He's got some nice moves, nice shot, maybe it does not translate to the next level, but I see more in Scott than those guys. Line slotting was correct, but damn, he's got more upside than some think. Kid carries the Gens on his back most nights.

If Schenn doesn't look like he's going to be a good NHL player I don't know what does. He plays hard and can score, make nice passes and does well in the dirty areas. The guy needs nothing more than time. Couturier was brought up too early IMO. They'll probably make the same mistake with laughton next year. What is the rush?

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

@jammer2

Ya, Laughton kills penalties as good as anyone, qbs the pp, we saw him with some nice dangles IN THE NHL! Or as Ian laperriere was told by scouts...

"Flyers Director of Player Development Ian Laperriere traveled to both Ontario and Quebec recently to watch some playoff games in two of the Canadian junior leagues.

While there he spoke to several scouts from other teams, and too a man they all said the same thing.

“They told me, ‘You have the best player in the OHL,’” Laperriere said. “It’s always good to hear that – especially from guys from other organizations.”

And the player they were talking about is a player Flyers fans got to see a little bit of this season, but should expect to see a lot more of in the future:

Scott Laughton."

If Schenn doesn't look like he's going to be a good NHL player I don't know what does. He plays hard and can score, make nice passes and does well in the dirty areas. The guy needs nothing more than time. Couturier was brought up too early IMO. They'll probably make the same mistake with laughton next year. What is the rush?

You know, as bad as Couturier has been this year, he's on a better points pace (28 pts) than last year (27 pts). I never would have guessed that.

The rest of his game definitely shows some struggling, but it's better here in the NHL, in important situations, on the 2nd PP, killing penalties, etc, than in the AHL, where he was basically a PPG player at 19 years old. Maybe that plays with your confidence, but as long as he's not *expected* to be the go-to guy, he'll be fine. He's got some good vets around him.