Gagne Stay or Go?

Guest Hexy27

Gagne Stay or Go  

1. 1. Should the Flyers resign Simon Gagne?

• Yes
    • No

I was pushing for Gagne on the top line earlier in the season, and it finally happened ;)

I mentioned in Game Chat one night that I think with a full training camp, and full season with G and Voracek that he could score 30 goals. This is a guy who twice scored more than 40, and twice more than 30. It's a stretch, I know. Scoring 30 would be his absolute ceiling at this point, but he has a goal scorer's touch. He just needs some time to adjust to these guys, and I think he can be more useful up there than Hartnell.

• Like 2

Definitely. He has been looking great out there. I don't think he was given the chance in LA this year, but has proved he still 'has it.' I also like his defensive game. He has a great all-around game and I think would be great for the younger guys!

@fan4ever

I don't know if it was LA not giving him a chance or that lump he had in his neck. I've read on several sites that Gagne credits his improved play to having (what ever it was) removed from his neck. I think he is healthy for the first time in many years.

http://www.philly.co...e_can_stay.html

I think Gagne has been consistent this season and I'd like to see him stay. I know the cap is going down next year so at the end of the day it might be a numbers game. At least he is willing to come back for less. What do you guys think?

Hexy, I think Gag's will be back, agree to a little less say $2.5M and continue to add the veteran presence. I have a nagging fear that was an element missing this year and would not be surprised to see Holmgren go in that direction. Given this organizations orientatiob to take care of the kids they raise and nurse, I see Snider giving the thumbs up.

I think Gagne has been consistent this season and I'd like to see him stay. I know the cap is going down next year so at the end of the day it might be a numbers game. At least he is willing to come back for less. What do you guys think?

Ba-Bye. New blood needed to change the attitude of this team. Gagne, Knuble, Fedotenko, c'mon.

Ba-Bye. New blood needed to change the attitude of this team. Gagne, Knuble, Fedotenko, c'mon.

Fedotenko has been one of the few consistant bright spots on this team. Even just for his ability on the PK he should be kept on the team.

Gagne has the ability to slow the game down and has shown he still has the ability to keep up with the likes of Giroux and Jake.

Knuble I agree with.

I think at a reduced cost, he is a good vet presence and fit. He plays hard, rarely takes a shift off and plays defensively well. The only concern is his health issues.

Other than that, if they can get him around 2mm a year for 2-3 years, than I am absolutely fine with it.

• Like 1

Yes , if the price is right, he still is a beautiful skater, still has the great hockey iq, can pot 20/30 in his sleep. will be a solid veteran presence in the room...i was sad to see him go in the first place.

• Like 3

from OrangeAndBlackPack.com

"I'm starting to enjoy the game again, that's been the main issue. The last 2 years have been a little bit tough. Health was an issue. Not playing as much as I wanted was an issue. I'm back to being healthy again. I'm starting to feel good on the ice.

"Even when we're losing right now, I'm having fun coming to the rink. That's something that, to start the season, I lost a little bit. All that helped me get a good feeling again about the game.

"It would be an easy choice if 'Homer' would come to me and ask me to stay. We'll see. I'm not sure if they're going to want to make a lot of changes, or what they are thinking. It's tough to look at our team, tough to judge why we play so poorly sometimes. We don't have a full lineup, it's a shortened season.

"I'm at the point of my career where I made really good money for a while. As a player, your goal is to win the Stanley Cup. I did that [with the Kings last season]. I still want to win the Stanley Cup. At the end of the day, money is just a small question. Being happy is important. If I like the place, I'll make things work - for everyone to be happy, to make sure that it doesn't hurt the team."

• Like 2

I think Gagne could be one of the veterans in the leadership role for the younger players, he knows what it means to play in Philly. He understands the expectations of the fans which will help when talking to the younger players and he could replace Briere as the go to person for the French players on the team. He's got his ring so now he might be happy to finish his career playing in Philly.

I'm a little more skeptical that Gagne will score >20 goals again. He might if he plays a full year (stays healthy) and gets consistent PP time. But I wouldn't look for anything north of 20. I know he's "having fun coming to the rink" again and all that. And he looks pretty good out there since he's been back. But I can't say I've seen him separate from the D the way he used to with those quick, explosive strides. He looks good but he doesn't look like anything special anymore.

As long as he's okay with a one-year contract at ~$2mil...he certainly brings other strengths besides goal-scoring - when he's skating hard and going good.

So our forward lineup next year is pretty close to set, I would say, barring any major changes in the offseason.

Gagne/Giroux/Voracek

Simmonds/Schenn/?

Hartnell/Couturier/Read

Rinaldo/Laughton/Talbot

Rosehill is inked to a 2 year deal so put him on the 4th line and bump Laughton up to the second. I would be good with that. I think we might see Hall get signed too if he continues his draw percentage and PK.

@canoli

oh i think a full year of good health from gags will see him pot 20 easy. Plus with his hockey iq he'll be able to continue to make himself a valuable player for as long as he wants.

as long as homer isn't thinking 6 years at 4 million with an nmc you know, if he wants to stick around for 2.5 for 2 years i wouldn't even blink. well maybe a little with the concussions but i think he's a good value in that price range. he's only 32, i know he's been in the league a while so that 32 might be more like 35 but he still looks mighty effective to me, and that's acknowledging he's lost a step.