Nice to beat the Habs/Rags, but at what cost?

Love to have Mason show what he can do. Nice to see our beat up AHL callup D get the job done. Great to see the kids up front getting their confidence back. But what's the cost?

I think we're officially out of Darnell Nurse range. Forget about MacKinnon or Drouin. The only way we were ever getting Jones was by winning the lottery which isn't happening. Now we're down to Sean Monohan/Bo Horvat territory. Nice players, but certainly not the gamebreakers some of us were drooling over a mere couple of days ago. They could reach for a Ryan Pulock, but defencemen who's defence needs work doesn't exactly scream workhorse to me. And that's what this team desperately needs back there.

It's all fine and well to have a late surge. You can't tell the team to tank on purpose (at least not if you have any respect for yourself). But if you want to beat the big boys in 4 rounds you need to add gamechangers. Sadly I think we just won ourself out of that area in the draft. Of course you never know 100% for sure how players are going to develop. You can get lucky sometimes and get elite talent later on. But it took the Leafs ten years to rebuild using this same strategy of finishing just out of the playoffs.

• Like 1

Hence the old saying, "they can't even win for losing". Which I'm pretty sure I also invoked when they finished dead last for the only time in team history.....only to somehow get butt reamed by a ping pong ball and end up with the second pick....which I believe is now Luke Schenn

it's just how this season would finish - a couple meaningless wins = a kick in the teeth ... a stupid, funked-up season from the beginning.

Now that all 14 non-PO teams get a shot at the #1 pick the Flyers' chances of landing a top 5 pick are even slimmer. Anything can happen but I won't be surprised when it's one more kick in the teeth.

Guys, even if we end up with 8-10th overall pick, we can always trade up to 5,6,7 and pick Nurse. hope he doesn't go as 4th overall. It wouldn't cost too much to trade up from 8-10th to 5th let's say. Our 1st plus a 2nd round pick and a 3rd should be enough. Or our 1st plus a mid level prospect and a low round draft pick. Something along those lines.

So Nurse is not off the table just cause we are drafting at 8-10th, unless of course two things happen:

1. Nurse goes at 4
  2. The team we are trading with already identified Nurse as their prime target

Edited by ctid

Love to have Mason show what he can do. Nice to see our beat up AHL callup D get the job done. Great to see the kids up front getting their confidence back. But what's the cost?

I think we're officially out of Darnell Nurse range. Forget about MacKinnon or Drouin. The only way we were ever getting Jones was by winning the lottery which isn't happening. Now we're down to Sean Monohan/Bo Horvat territory. Nice players, but certainly not the gamebreakers some of us were drooling over a mere couple of days ago. They could reach for a Ryan Pulock, but defencemen who's defence needs work doesn't exactly scream workhorse to me. And that's what this team desperately needs back there.

It's all fine and well to have a late surge. You can't tell the team to tank on purpose (at least not if you have any respect for yourself). But if you want to beat the big boys in 4 rounds you need to add gamechangers. Sadly I think we just won ourself out of that area in the draft. Of course you never know 100% for sure how players are going to develop. You can get lucky sometimes and get elite talent later on. But it took the Leafs ten years to rebuild using this same strategy of finishing just out of the playoffs.

I remember when the Pens "tanked" they closed out the season something like 10-2-4 then the following year Mario decided to play then they told Malkin to stay in Russia so they could tank again then they tried to cover it up by signing a bunch of big name free agents like Gonchar, Palffy and LeClair.

I'll tell ya...tanking is no easy task.. ;) (Read: Smarmy sarcasm.)

Hmmm....I didn't see the Pens mentioned here anywhere....methinks he doth protest too much.....

10 wins down the stretch, how's that math work, what'd they have negative 4 wins coming into it?

Edited by sarsippius
  • Like 1

I was thinking the same thing. It almost feels like the Rangers and Habs were dogging it to keep the Flyers from getting a good Draft pick.

I know the rangers are more on the bubble and it would be dumb of them, but who knows, maybe they're going for a pick themselves at this point.

Either way, both teams looked pretty and uncharacteristically terrible against us the last two nights.

But what's the cost?

I agree with you flycan. I was watching with my girlfriend last night and telling her we need to lose. Winning accomplishes nothing at this point and we need to lose to improve our draft positioning. She said why would a team lose on purpose? I said look at the Penguins. They completely tanked for a couple years running and were able to draft Crosby, Staal, Fluery, Malkin. That's why losing isn't necessarily a bad thing.

@B21

If only we had Gonchar. Was that the season Palffy just up and quit? I had him in my hockey pool the year he did that.

That would be the season. If my memory serves correct he "retired" due to an "injury".

Hmmm....I didn't see the Pens mentioned here anywhere....methinks he doth protest too much.....

10 wins down the stretch, how's that math work, what'd they have negative 4 wins coming into it?

Me thinks someone does not get "sarcasm". Besides, can't have a thread discussing tanking without the Pens coming up. If not I, someone else.

I agree with you flycan. I was watching with my girlfriend last night and telling her we need to lose. Winning accomplishes nothing at this point and we need to lose to improve our draft positioning. She said why would a team lose on purpose? I said look at the Penguins. They completely tanked for a couple years running and were able to draft Crosby, Staal, Fluery, Malkin. That's why losing isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The Pens tanked to get Crosby, Staal, Fleury and Malkin. Based on.....???? I wonder how a team can tank to get a player when no season is played. That Craig Patrick must be a cheeky bugger.

I guess the Oilers have tanked these last few years to get three straigh #1 overall picks, too?

Dumb.

Isn't there a rule hidden deep in the book that says if any season is affected in any way by a lock out, then the Penguins automatically get the first overall pick the following season?

Yup. Right next to the rule the says the Flyers can never ever never have a pick in the 2nd round of any draft and can never ever never have a Vezina winner. You really think Bob was traded to make toom for the Bryzaster?

Well, we have 41 pts with 5 to play. We need to lose the next 2 games (NJ and NC) in regulation to give us a good shot a finishing below them and if we lose a couple of our other games we still have a shot of finshing in the bottom 5. I think the bottom 3 is probably out of reach now but I never really thought we'd get there anyhow. I think we will finish low enough that if need be, Homer will do what it takes to trade down to get the guy he wants.

careful Dynamo... :) don't be surprised within the next fews hours you see posts from B21 and Polaris adamately dening such acts. be prepared to see full paged posts on on how the drafts went down those years..... just warning ya! ;)

the Flyers can never ever never have a pick in the 2nd round of any draft

What are these 2nd round picks that you speak of? Never heard of them. And does your double negative mean that the Flyers will actually get one of these mysterious and magical 2nd round picks?

Players are still playing for jobs ? That would include Mason. Real Flyer fans never want to see the team tank no matter the standings.

I too hope for a good pick but that has never our good fortune. What will be will be.

Me thinks someone does not get "sarcasm". Besides, can't have a thread discussing tanking without the Pens coming up. If not I, someone else.

But aha! I got your sarcasm, but apparently you missed mine......I'll use the sarcasm brackets next time

The Pens tanked to get Crosby, Staal, Fleury and Malkin. Based on.....???? I wonder how a team can tank to get a player when no season is played. That Craig Patrick must be a cheeky bugger.

I guess the Oilers have tanked these last few years to get three straigh #1 overall picks, too?

Dumb.

RE the oilers

see, its knowing when to suck as well as being good at it.

The Oilers are only good at sucking they don't know the right times to acutally suck.

as for the Pens, well they are the A#1 team when it comes to sucking...

come on, you walked right into that. :P

What are these 2nd round picks that you speak of? Never heard of them. And does your double negative mean that the Flyers will actually get one of these mysterious and magical 2nd round picks?

They usally fall between Rounds 1 and 3 and tend to be useful from time to time. ;)

Isn't "never ever never" a triple negative....hence positive?