Is Mason Injured?

Ok, so I dvr'd the game tonight and of course the recording cut off with like 8 minutes left in the game - just when they cut to commercial because apparently Mason was being pulled after being attended to on ice. I saw Bryz was suiting up to come in to replace him which scared the bejeezus out of me.

I never got to see or hear what exactly happened to Mason. Needless to say, I'm freaking out. Mason looked darn good tonight. Almost like a goalie that finally could play some competitve hockey and make a positive contribution to this team. It would be a tragedy of Hindenburg-esque proportions if he's now down and out with some crazy injury.

It would be an epic tragedy, a tragedy for the ages, the way he's been playing - I know this sounds like hyperbole, but I'm so desparate for a halfway decent goalie that this potential disaster can't be understated. Of course, it's not entirely unexpected, as this team, this franchise has been the subject of some sort of horrendous curse for the last 35 years. Somebody please give me some good news!!!!

@OH1FlyersFan yep, I always go an extra hour to be sure, 2 hrs for any playoff game...and 2 for a baseball game, the extra innings can drag on quite a while in that sport! First year in a LONG time I will be able to stay up for every playoff game....I'm PUMPED about that. Unlimited playoffs. I am changing my sleeping habits so I'm ready for any triple OT game at the drop of a hat. Plan on going to bed at 4am (lol, that should cover it) and waking up around noon give or take a bit....for the entire playoffs....really, a once in a lifetime chance to soak this all in....sports heaven coming up!!!

• Like 1

@OH1FlyersFan

Coatsey interviewed him after the game and he said is was some really bad cramping. He looked good the rest of the way, so gotta believe him. He was playing so well in front of the home crowd, I don't think you could've pryed him outta there with a crowbar.

Nice game for him!!!! And thank God it was nothing serious.

• Like 1

Of course, it's not entirely unexpected, as this team, this franchise has been the subject of some sort of horrendous curse for the last 35 years.

ain't that the truth! Damn. And this year - this stupid, lockout meaningless year - it's been even worse than normal. I didn't think that was possible. Has any team ever lost its entire D for long stretches during a season? We've got Kimmo still the lineup, that's it. And he's been playing hurt (they say) for about 4 years now. Besides him everybody else is out. That's just - I don't know what that is. A curse. Gotta be.

OTOH to see Lauridsen step up and jump right in, to watch Gus take the next step in confidence and calmness...it's been great to see.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree. He looks like he's starting to relax into things more. He seems less tense as these games go on.

I still worry a little bit about his ability to follow the play. He seems to lose the puck a bit from time to time. He's helping the D with his stick more than Bryz seems to be capable of, so that's an automatic plus.

I don't love the goals he's giving up as there's not really a great way to cut down on those kinds of shots, but that said, as he relaxes he seems to be making bigger saves when needed.

The mid distance wrister using the D man as a screen is killing him though, the D can't do much to stop that, but we'll let the goalie coach work on that with him.

Still want to see someone else come in next season to play with him. Not ready to hand over the reigns to Mason and a Phantom.

Nice game for him!!!! And thank God it was nothing serious.

The mid distance wrister using the D man as a screen is killing him though, the D can't do much to stop that, but we'll let the goalie coach work on that with him.

Good positioning and hope the puck hits you is about the only thing a goalie can do in that situation. By the time he finds the puck coming through the defense there typically is not enough time to make a reaction save. I disagree with you about the D-man though. As a denseman, if you know that a forward is going to use you as a screen for a shot, you have 2 choices - do your darnedest to block the shot OR let your goalie see the shot. Standing upright continuing to track backwards with the forward is the worst thing you can do in that situation.

As a denseman, if you know that a forward is going to use you as a screen for a shot, you have 2 choices

probably if the guy is that much of a denseman he really shouldn't even be out there... :)

ain't that the truth! Damn. And this year - this stupid, lockout meaningless year - it's been even worse than normal. I didn't think that was possible. Has any team ever lost its entire D for long stretches during a season? We've got Kimmo still the lineup, that's it. And he's been playing hurt (they say) for about 4 years now. Besides him everybody else is out. That's just - I don't know what that is. A curse. Gotta be.

OTOH to see Lauridsen step up and jump right in, to watch Gus take the next step in confidence and calmness...it's been great to see.

Every year I think this is the year we get a break from the injury bug - after so many years having been bit bad. We deserve that break, by God! But it never fails and just when you don't think it can get any worse, it does. Not to be overly pessimistice, the good news is that our youngs guys are getting some good experience, like you said. But being the paranoid Flyers fan that I am, now I'm expecting all these young guys on defense to have that sophomore slump that seems to be hitting most of our youngs guys on offense this year after the pretty good performances they put in last season. Ha!

I know... unfortunately it's all-too-easy for Flyers' fans to be pessimistic about surviving even one NHL season relatively healthy. The past few years have been ridiculous for the Flyers. Seems like since Pronger went down it's been a steady drain of injuries esp on D. Mez I never had much faith in but Coburn? Aside from that one PO year (when we lost him and Kimmo in R1 vs the Pens) he never misses games. I guess when a guy like Gervais goes out of the lineup and he's missed - ! - the Flyers' injury bug is pretty serious.