Organization is split on Bryzgalov

Guest brelic

@radoran

the only stuff I can see on capgeek are about the cap hit, not necessarily the actual checks the players receive. so, they are the same?

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=1141

only the cap hit is cut and paste text. "Buyout Details" above it show $1,642,857 a year for next 14 years. Cap hit is much different - and does not apply for compliance buyout.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=1141

only the cap hit is cut and paste text. "Buyout Details" above it show $1,642,857 a year for next 14 years. Cap hit is much different - and does not apply for compliance buyout.

I think aziz is asking about the real life actual direct deposit Bryz would get in his bank account. That information likely is only in the new CBA document, or some agreed upon appendix.

So the room is divided on Bryz? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ya, so is this board. 90% want him gone. And 90% of the 10% that want him to stay are fans of teams other than Philly. Who wouldn't want to face Bryzgalov in a game. Shoot from anywhere, it'll go in. Shoot at another player, it'll go in. Breakaway, 2 on 1, 3 on 2? They should just have the faceoff at center.

I think aziz is asking about the real life actual direct deposit Bryz would get in his bank account. That information likely is only in the new CBA document, or some agreed upon appendix.

the "real life direct deposit Bryz wold get in his bank account" if bought out after this season is:

$1,642,857 a year for the next 14 years. The number in the "buy out" column.

IF they were to non-compliance buyout, the cap hit would be:

• 2013-14: -$690,476
  • 2014-15: $1,309,524
  • 2015-16: $1,309,524
  • 2016-17: $1,809,524
  • 2017-18: $1,809,524
  • 2018-19: $5,059,524
  • 2019-20: $6,059,524
  • 2020-21: $1,642,857
  • 2021-22: $1,642,857
  • 2022-23: $1,642,857
  • 2023-24: $1,642,857
  • 2024-25: $1,642,857
  • 2025-26: $1,642,857
  • 2026-27: $1,642,857

This just isn't realistic when you look at the goals the team has been giving up.

he's not giving up floaters from outside the circles the way Hextall or Garth snow did in '97.

He's not giving up huge rebounds directly to the opposition and putting himself grotesquely out of position the way Roman did those three years.

He's not immobile the way Boosh and Leighton were in '10.

He's making good saves and staying in position, swallowing when he has to and directing rebounds to the corners when he can.

He usually gives up goals on screens, deflections and undefended shots (breakaways and two on ones). These are typically situations when goalies aren't considered "at fault" for the goal.

His defense sucks. Seriously sucks. They're out and out terrible. There are simply no two ways about it.

Bryz isn't Bernie, or Hexy in '87 or Brodeur. Get over it. He's playing fairly well though considering what's going on in front of him.

I agree with the idea that the problem is his salary more than his play. His salary and its duration are preventing the team from making moves to put the sort of team in front of him that can win games consistently.

For that I think he needs to go. But seriously, anyone who thinks that putting Bobrovsky or most other goalies in that position instead of Bryz is just fooling himself and taking the really narrow Box Score only view of the team. The Defense was questionable before... now they're almost all hurt and it's been that way most of the season. This team's D is horrendous and yes... that really does have an impact on a goalie's stats. There really aren't any two ways around it.

Bryz might not be a vezina candidate with an NHL caliber Defense in front of him, but I guarantee you wouldn't be as hard on him if he did. He's fine. Fine isn't worth the money he's getting and for how long he's getting it when you need that money for a better Defense.

He's not giving up rebounds that take him out of position. The Leafs broadcast crew were making fun of how out of position he was after rebounds. The game against Montreal he was on the wrong side of the net on a shot from the point. He has become so slow and small in the net it's insane. Every breakaway is a given goal now unless the opposition misses the net. Swallowing up rebounds? The only rebounds that he swallows up are the really easy shots with no one in front.

@AndyS

there's a window each summer that buyouts are allowed, and I don't think the amnesty buyouts are any different on that front (except for the short window right before this season started). as I understand it, teams will be able to use those two buyouts this summer or next (in addition to the pretty much meaningless mini-window in January). no middle of season buyouts, though.

• Like 1

@AndyS

there's a window each summer that buyouts are allowed, and I don't think the amnesty buyouts are any different on that front (except for the short window right before this season started). as I understand it, teams will be able to use those two buyouts this summer or next (in addition to the pretty much meaningless mini-window in January). no middle of season buyouts, though.

and is that it then, 2 total buyouts and no more ever? Or will it reset after 2 years and teams then get another 2 buyouts for the next 2 years if they choose?

He's not giving up huge rebounds directly to the opposition and putting himself grotesquely out of position the way Roman did those three years.

He's not immobile the way Boosh and Leighton were in '10.

He's making good saves and staying in position, swallowing when he has to and directing rebounds to the corners when he can.

Are you going for irony here or what? You're talking about Bryzgalov but you must be thinking of somebody else.

Bryzgalov is:

Slow to recover from the butterfly after ...

...after Spraying Rebounds all over the f--ng place...

as IMmobile as they come, especially on odd-mans and breakaways....

*Some* of his god-awful Save% and GAA is the result of sloppy Team D. But he was supposed to be the guy who could cover for defensive breakdowns, it's why he's paid almost $6mil/year and why we bought a high-priced FA goalie in the first place.

Nothing personal KT - everybody's entitled to their opinion. Mine comes from watching Bryzgalov play. It's not "hatred" it's "disgust" and it started after he suited up for the Flyers. Before, when I watched him in Phoenix, my only thoughts about him were "god I hope he's never the Flyers' starter."

and is that it then, 2 total buyouts and no more ever? Or will it reset after 2 years and teams then get another 2 buyouts for the next 2 years if they choose?

Just two, which must be used this year or next. Then wait until the next new CBA.

There are two "compliance" buyouts associated with the cap going down. There is no subsequent cap hit from these two "compliance" buyouts.

So, for Bryzgalov, if they used one of the compliance buyouts on him they would pay him just over $1,6M a year for the next 14 years to not play for the Philadelphia Flyers.

But there would be no additional cap hit.

You can still use standard buyouts.

There are two "compliance" buyouts associated with the cap going down. There is no subsequent cap hit from these two "compliance" buyouts.

So, for Bryzgalov, if they used one of the compliance buyouts on him they would pay him just over $1,6M a year for the next 14 years to not play for the Philadelphia Flyers.

But there would be no additional cap hit.

You can still use standard buyouts.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Now the two goals Mason's given up so far... those are bad goals that Make Bryzgalov look like a genius.

I'm enjoying how somehow my more metered and less extreme position on Bryz has marginalized me amongst you guys.

"He's okay, not great, but not that bad."

"No, you're dead wrong, he's the worst thing since Hitler!!!!!!"

(sigh) it's really not that bad and I hope Mason has demonstrated that.

Now the two goals Mason's given up so far... those are bad goals that Make Bryzgalov look like a genius.

I'm enjoying how somehow my more metered and less extreme position on Bryz has marginalized me amongst you guys.

"He's okay, not great, but not that bad."

"No, you're dead wrong, he's the worst thing since Hitler!!!!!!"

(sigh) it's really not that bad and I hope Mason has demonstrated that.

So it's cool for you to judge a guy based on 2/3 of a game, but the rest of us can't discuss Bryz's many shortcomings established over more than a season? Get off your high horse.

Since you're such an expert on goalies, I'll assume you factored in Mason's first start likely includes no chemistry or communication tips with his defenders? Yeah, thought so.

Bryz sucks, get over it. At least Mason can handle some odd man rushes and breakaways. And he's faster. And takes better angles. And challenges shooters. And moves the puck WAY better.

Ha ha ha ha.

Yeah. okay. Right. The goalie is the problem.

THIS IS THE WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE

THey are an embarrassment. Everyone associated with putting this team together should be banned for hockey for life.

Anyone who could have watched this Islanders game and still tell me that Bryzgalov is the problem is a complete bloody moron.

THIS TEAM IS ATROCIOUS. TERRIBLE. BEYOND TERRIBLE. They don't deserve to wear an NHL uniform or earn an NHL salary.

Mason, Bryzgalov, Brodeur, the Lord Jesus Christ himself. NO GOALIE COULD SAVE THIS TEAM.

Mason however would be my third choice among those two after tonight.

This team is a bad joke and the effin joke is on us my friends.

I am a fan of what might be the most shamefully embarrassing team to have ever taken the ice.

I have no high horse. Trust me. You guys just need to swallow a little reality pill.

So it's cool for you to judge a guy based on 2/3 of a game, but the rest of us can't discuss Bryz's many shortcomings established over more than a season? Get off your high horse.

Since you're such an expert on goalies, I'll assume you factored in Mason's first start likely includes no chemistry or communication tips with his defenders? Yeah, thought so.

Bryz sucks, get over it. At least Mason can handle some odd man rushes and breakaways. And he's faster. And takes better angles. And challenges shooters. And moves the puck WAY better.

I'll give you that though. Mason does handle the puck better.

He seems to have trouble seeing it, but he handles it real well.

I am a fan of what might be the most shamefully embarrassing team to have ever taken the ice.

I have no high horse. Trust me. You guys just need to swallow a little reality pill.

No one said this was a great team, or solid defense. Not to my knowledge. I think individuals (Gervais, L Schenn) are scapegoats when the real problem is a team coordinated effort.

This does not absolve responsibility for Bryz or Briere though. Those guys are well paid, experienced players whose effort and skill is counted on every game. Their success determines the team success. Both suck ass.

• Like 1

There are alot of openings in this house that the fly's keep coming inside, we need to focus on closing these holes that were created...by being careless or by not giveing a flying puck where things are at.

We would be whistleing another toon had we nabbed Webber and New Jerseys Capt.

Homer swung and missed the fences, hit a grounder that went to the short stop that created a double play and we lost this inning.

He tried for a grand slam and ended up with a ground ball double play....it happens, he has this summer to redeem himself for a bad play at bat.

That's ALL FOLKS!

Too ROO roo roo too too tooo......too ROO roo roo too too toooooo!

@King Knut

The skaters suck a**, management is clueless, Mason was terrible, these are not an arguments for the Bryz being good. If your point is that most folks are going overboard in their criticism, so what? That's not support for the position that Bryz has been good.

Forget the horrible numbers, my eyes tell me he's an average goaltender at best.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you've seen from Bryz in the last year and a half that makes you think he's worth the albatross of a cap-nuking contract he carries.

Edited by sarsippius
  • Like 1

@King Knut

know what's crazy? mason's .903sv% in this game, it's been almost two weeks since bryzgalov was able to post even that good a number. and. factoring in this result puts mason's save percentage over bryzgalov's for the season. an apparently bad outing still was an improvement over bryzgalov's average. nuts, right?

I saw the first goal and the third. missed the second. first was a bad goal. third was unlucky. second was bad?