Favorite D-men...

Guest ZeZel25

Rank your favorite 5 flyers defenseman. Doesn't have to mean he was a great player, just your favorite, no right or wrong. Prefer guy's you've seen play not got word from your grandfather lol.

For me they are:

5) Hatcher...Mean mother

4) Brad Marsh..Not a graceful guy but he got it done

3) Timo...One of the best ever small defenseman

2) Rico..Gifted guy...Thanks Montreal for him

1) Howe...Maybe the best 2 way guy I ever seen

Edited by twpguy

Mine...wasn't a Flyer fan till Eric Lindros mind you...

1-Kimmo

2-PRONGER

3-Rico

4-Schenn

5-KimJohnsson

If...and only IF he can ever get his head out his ASS Coburn could easily make the top 5 for me...till he greatly improves i will leave him off....

Edit: Sorry i had to do over....realized i didn't have Prongs on the list....and i haven't even smoked nothing today.......yet.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I'm a youngin' too, so I don't have the background of the 70s/80s flyers

5.) Richardson

4.) K. Johnsson

3.) Desjardins

2.) Pronger

1.) Kimmo

I really did like Ragnarsson as well... he def. made the most of what abilities he had. A good warrior... would've made a great compliment to Kimmo as a pairing.

No love for Adam Burt?.. Bundy?... Rathje?.. ;)

Edited by fishbulb

"Prefer guy's you've seen play not got word from your grandfather lol."

Semi-old dude here, so that gives me a broad playing field:

In no particular order:

Mark Howe - the best D man to suit up in Philly, period.

Joe Watson - I don't know why, just liked him as a kid.

Brad McCrimmon - Clarkie shoulda made you a Flyer for life. RIP.

Brad Marsh - Slow but a great crease clearing presence, always the last guy away from Hexy

Ron Hextall - That's right I said Ron Hextall, old f**ckers will know exactly why it makes sense

Edited by sarsippius
  • Like 1

Behn Wilson- 6ft 3 220 lbs, scored some big points, could skate, shoot, stickhandle, good point shot, took the body , used his stick like a weapon and was the best fighter the Flyers ever had.

Should have been a Hall of Famer, but after a few big years fo us he was traded and never advanced his play. I loved the way he could rush the puck and score and for good measure beat you senseless.

Brad McCrimmon, Mark Howe- the best defensive duo this team ever had,they were both a plus 80 one year...

Eric Desjardins - carried our defense for 10 years

Moose Dupont- we beat them up then we drink beer

Howe was easily the best dman ever in the organization

Clarke's worst move ever was trading Mccrimmon. The 80's team began their decline once that move was made.

JJ Dainneault will always hold a special place in my heart. His goal made the Flyers my favorite team in any sport

• Like 2

Considering I started following the Flyers around 1990 and didn't get to see Howe or McGrimmon, it would be unfair for me to put them on my list.

1. Timonen

2. Desjardins

3. Petr Svoboda (always liked him for being steady and reliable)

4. Hatcher

5. Danny Markov (just wish we got him earlier and didn't have to trade him).

I started watching in 1984 so apologies to the 70s Flyers

1. Howe my 1st favorite Flyer and 1st Jersey I ever owned.

2. McCrimmon - I loved the big guy and never understood this trade

3. Marsh - He was the worst skater and couldn't score for beans but he hit hard and was great in the defensive zone. Plus he was like having a 2nd goalie back there blocking shots especially when our goalies got caught out of the net.

4. Rico - Loved him during the Lindros Era. Did all the little things right and played against top players on opposing teams. Fav moment is OT goal vs the Rags in 1995 playoffs.

5. Kimmo - Our best defenseman in the recent era outside of Pronger who wasn't here long enough to make my list

Wow, no mention of Andy Delmore or Mike Rathje?

Seriously though, for me (I'm 31) I would have to say Rico, Kimmo, Pronger, Kapanen (for a minute), Dan Mcgillis (just always liked him.

I really like Mezsaros, Grossmann, and Luke Schenn too, I didn't want to narrow things down to just this era.

All-time: Moose Dupont, Brad Marsh,Mark Howe,Eric Desjardins,Kimmo Timonen

Hon Mention: Derian Hatcher

Incomplete: Chris Pronger and Sami Kapanen

Current Flyers: Schenn is showing potential and I like Grossmann (with two n's)

If you don't have Howe #1 you didn't see him play. Hard to believe he never won a Norris. A +85 one year. other years of +57, 51, 47, 30, 23, 22, 22 His worst healthy season with Philly was 53 points.

I wasn't furtunate enough to watch him play. I started following the Flyers shortly after he was gone. But from everyting I read and heard, the guy was one of a kind. Instead, I should settle for watching the likes of Chris Therein, Modry and Bruno Gervais over the last decade of this team. :angry: