Mark Alt signs with Flyers

Guest hf101

Drafted by Carolina as a 2nd round pick (53), was acquired by the Flyers in the trade with Boucher for Luke Pither. Alt has signed an entry level contract leaving the Univ of Minnesota after his junior year.

Alt a 6'4" 201lb right handed defenseman

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=2709

there will probably be more info later

@hf101 Hockey futures gives him a 7.0 out of 10 ranking and say he's a two way d-man, although his pts regressed this year. Good skater, good size, some offenisve upside, what's not to like?

http://www.hockeysfu...pects/mark_alt/

stats...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=127773

Edited by jammer2

There is a lot to like here. Obviously a very good athalete. He was quarterback of his state champion high school football team and had offers to play in college but chose hockey. Good pedigree too: his dad was a long time pro football player.

@terp Yep, John Alt was a Offensive Tackle for the Kansas City Chiefs. He's in the Cheif's Hall of Fame, so certainly an impact player. As for his son Mark, like the fact he was a qb, 2 sport star shows he is very athletic, so that a feather in his cap.

Hockey futures gives him a 7.0 out of 10 ranking and say he's a two way d-man, although his pts regressed this year. Good skater, good size, some offenisve upside, what's not to like?

He's already better than Gervais...put him out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greetings Over Friday Merlot!

Well, I agree...probably a nose or two better than Bruno....Foster...Lilja...and the other merry-go-round of 2nd-3rd tier folks at our back line. Keep fingers crossed.

Best,

Howie

in the link posted above (nhl.com one), under favorite team it says Pens. Other than that, he looks good.

These kids today don't know any better. LOL

I think when it comes to defenseman the Us college system is a very good and maybe better development situation than major junior at least at first blush, I think it has to do with the kids age and therefor maturity level.

The top d prospects coming from the NCAA particularly the big 10 conference seem to have a better adjustment to the NHL than do the top can't miss kids from major junior who are often 4 years younger.

All that to say this Alt fella might be capable of playing in the bigs right away, like Shultz and McDoughnah and a few others before him.

Good news adding depth to the blue line anyway.

Edited by mojo1917

Drafted by Carolina as a 2nd round pick (53), was acquired by the Flyers in the trade with Boucher for Luke Pither. Alt has signed an entry level contract leaving the Univ of Minnesota after his junior year.

Alt a 6'4" 201lb right handed defenseman

http://www.nhl.com/i...l.htm?dpid=2709

there will probably be more info later

He has a way too go before we see him up in Philly

Greetings Over Friday Merlot!

Well, I agree...probably a nose or two better than Bruno....Foster...Lilja...and the other merry-go-round of 2nd-3rd tier folks at our back line. Keep fingers crossed.

Best,

Howie

Put him in there & drop Brutal Gervais!

Put him in there & drop Brutal Gervais!

He's not the problem. Also since Briere is finally out of the lineup, forwards are actually backchecking, defending the high slot area, and generally playing with more...JAM!

He has a way too go before we see him up in Philly

I thought the same of Gervais.....but nope they got him out there....suit his ass up and bench Bruno before his +/- reaches 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He played well till this past season and got in his coaches doghouse....think if i remember correctly he got dropped out the top 6. Sounds like he'll fit right in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He ain't no Bruno Gervais!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just how does a youngster get signed to an NHL contract but *can't* make the top 6 of his NCAA team?

I swear i'm not making that up..i read it somewhere just not sure where...but i don't think it all is true...

The 21-year-old Alt posted seven points, all assists and 20 penalty minutes, including a career-best plus-minus rating of +19 in 39 games for the Golden Gophers this season. He helped the team post an overall record of 26-9-5 and finish first in the WCHA standings, as well as the second-ranked defense in the WCHA, allowing 2.29 goals-per-game.

Over the course of three seasons at Minnesota, Alt posted seven goals and 32 assists for 39 points and 85 penalty minutes in 117 games, which also included a trip to the NCAA's Frozen Four in 2012

Edited by OccamsRazor