Mason over Bryz? REALLY?

Guest caluso

@CoachX

My guess is if we had to get rid of Bobrovsky cause Bryz felt uncomfortable having a capable backup, then bringing Mason in to push him will certainly do just that...over the edge. I mean do you really need someone to push you when you're making the rubles he is?

• Like 1

that's another great point... Mason signed an extension and that tells Bryz he has a guy breathing down his neck. He gets his act together or get bought out. The Flyers have essentially brought in a cheap "flier" to push Bryz. And Bryz had no pressure this year. He had Leighton to back him up. If you aren't confident about your abilities with that guy as a back up, you need to go to work at the local "Quick Stop" and play goalie on the roof.... and tell Dante to stop being a bitch over free Gatorade

This is assuming Mason actually does turn his game around an recapture some of the Calder magic.

If not, they aren't committed to him, either.

@CoachX

My guess is if we had to get rid of Bobrovsky cause Bryz felt uncomfortable having a capable backup, then bringing Mason in to push him will certainly do just that...over the edge. I mean do you really need someone to push you when you're making the rubles he is?

Again, if that was the reason they traded Bob, that alone should justify firing Homer.

you need to go to work at the local "Quick Stop" and play goalie on the roof.... and tell Dante to stop being a bitch over free Gatorade

Hahah! Nice one - but give him a break, he wasn't even supposed to be here today!

Well there is this: almost every time there's a mention of Bob in the Philly press the writer cites how at some point Lavy "lost confidence" in Bob. Sometimes they say it happened during the POs, sometimes before.

I bet that was the reason. Lavy just didn't like him or didn't trust him. Remember how he handled the kid?

Anyway it can't be because they were worried about Bryzgalov's fkn feelings! Even if Bryzgalov really did feel that way he couldn't tell anyone, he couldn't expose such a punk-ass weakness to his new employer!

"Yes, ahem, thank you gentlemen, thanks a lot for that $51 million deal...oh by the way...I hesitate to mention it, it's such a small concern but...well the thing is I'm very uncomfortable with competition." LOL

shucks, my little "Bryz" impersonation doesn't rate a LOL even? damn, tough crowd.

in any case I'm with you - I'll happily take that risk. Stranger things have happened but if that comes to pass it will be just like his Ducks' glory days - 4 games played = name on the Cup.

[edit: 4 games in R1 that is, against the juggernaut that was the 1-line Wild]

Edited by canoli

@radoran

I believe that was the reason. I have no other clue as to why you would trade him. You?

I wouldn't have traded him :)

But "give the young guy a chance to play" did come up. "Doing right by your players" as well. "Had a secret agreement" if you wanna get conspiratorial...

You know, other stupid reasons to divest yourself of a valuable asset.

I really think they thought Bryz was the guy and that made bob valuable on the trade market. They weren't going to have a player with that much value playing about a dozen games when they could move him for another player.

• Like 1

I really think they thought Bryz was the guy and that made bob valuable on the trade market. They weren't going to have a player with that much value playing about a dozen games when they could move him for another player.

^this

A second and two fourths is "valuable on the trade market" in June?

I hope Stolarz pans out for them, but I don't think a 2nd and two 4s would have been a deal I "had to make."

Except Bob wasn't a capable backup. He was kind of a crappy backup. The kid is wired as a starter. When put in a position where there was no real potential to take the number one spot, he had a tough time. He was pretty brutal that season, remember? Niittymakii was the same way.

Plus, like I've said before, if you [think you] are settled on your starter, an inexperienced and streaky kid is the last thing you want in a backup. You want stable and reliable, someone who will give you steady (if mediocre) relief when needed. You want to know what you're getting on those occasional nights. Think Johan Hedberg or Boucher (from a few years ago).

the thing is mason is coming from a lousy organization, he has no playoff experience, he was a starter but he struggled being a starter, i mean sometimes goalies are meant to be backups, ok, so you get rid of bryz and mason strugglies like bryz and bob in the starter role, then what? you play the leighton/boucher marry go around goalies all over again, the thing with starters that have to handle the pressure of being a starter in the playoffs and mason isnt because he has no experience, just like bob and it backfired.

i would only get rid of bryz if there's a goalie that has playoff experience/handles being a starter, not some goalie that has no experience.

the thing with this whole team including the defense is inexperienced and they dont have many playoff experience d players accept timmion right now.

Edited by toughfighter83

@toughfighter83

the thing with starters that have to handle the pressure of being a starter in the playoffs

Ugh. Have you SEEN bryzgalov in the playoffs???

For years, the one thing you can say about him is that he *cannot* handle the pressure of being a starter in the playoffs. He embarrassed himself two years in a row in Phoenix, then embarrassed himself again in Philly. So what if he has experience, if that experience is letting in back breaking goal after back breaking goal?

I mean, seriously. Have you paid any attention to this guy at all?

@jammer2

Yeah, I mean, defending the guy in general is one kind of crazy, but defending him based on playoff experience, of all things? There is just no way 83 has actually seen any of bryzgalov playoff adventures and still raise that point.

well he did take on that mighty Wild team and beat them in 5 games. So it was 6 years ago and he's been embarrassed ever since, his name is on the Stanley Cup. Plus he beat the hated Pens last year...sort of. He was in net when the Flyers won that's a fact. So he's got that going for him as well.

@jammer2

Yeah, I mean, defending the guy in general is one kind of crazy, but defending him based on playoff experience, of all things? There is just no way 83 has actually seen any of bryzgalov playoff adventures and still raise that point.

hahahaha, dont care about what you think, he's still here, he's not going anywhere, complain all you want, it's not going to get a cup anytime soon.

hahahaha, dont care about what you think, he's still here, he's not going anywhere, complain all you want, it's not going to get a cup anytime soon.

-- Bryz is gone after we miss the playoffs... Look, I was a Bryz supporter but I have turned the corner and now see the light. This guy is not a top flight goalie and based on his play last year and this year I think it is pretty easy to see. Outside of his entertainment value I just do not see keeping this guy beyond this year w/ his monsterous contract.

-- Bryz is gone after we miss the playoffs... Look, I was a Bryz supporter but I have turned the corner and now see the light. This guy is not a top flight goalie and based on his play last year and this year I think it is pretty easy to see. Outside of his entertainment value I just do not see keeping this guy beyond this year w/ his monsterous contract.

i dont understand this fanbase, why is everything the goalie's fault when this team flat out sucks? i mean if bryz was letting in five hole goals on a simple wrist shots from the blue line, i can understand that, but you are making excuses for this team that they can continue to make mistakes and expect another goalie to make a difference, it's not the way to win, the same stuff happened with bob and boucher in 2011, it's the same mistakes over and over again and bringing another goalie will not solve anything,

when is the blame going to pointed on the coach and team?

with the penguins in playoffs, it was odd man rushes, with nj, they outplayed us in every game and never sustained any pressure on brodeur sooner or later bryz was going to get beaten, so blaming this on the goalie is ridicious.

Edited by toughfighter83