Mason over Bryz? REALLY?

Guest caluso

And Bernier can't exactly demand top dollar yet. He'd get less than Bryz right now for sure (RFA). Let Mason fight it out with Bernier - if Mason pulls off the miracle upset, then fine. (I highly doubt that would happen, but it wouldn't be a bad thing.)

But what about Bryz', you know......feelings?

See this is where I have a problem with that....the goaltending situation has been trying to work itself out for 2 1/2 decades.

So what is your point?

Are you saying you want to trade away the #1 pick and/or a player for a shot at Bernier??

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

I mean you your self said he really hasn't proven anything...so why gamble further????

Just doesn't make no sense when you can buy out Bryz and bring Emery in to compete for the job (if not Emery the how about a run at Timmy T)...it wouldn't cost anything but his salary...

...it's just the smartest move to me with out messing with the roster and at the same time alowing the Flyers to hopefully add a yound prospect to the farm...which is sorely needed...Bernier is not worth the gambe to me.

Edited by OccamsRazor

No more old retreads.

Huh???Why not? What is Bernier done??????

NADA!!!!!

Emery as a backup mind you is 12-1 2.09 gaa and 917%!!!!!

Bernier hasn't played more than 25 games in a single season yet to date!!! Way more gamble if you're talking about parting with a #1 pick for sorry i'll pass and keep the pick...he is no sure thing. Neither is Emery but at least they will still have a #1 pick and or Coots and Schenn....

@OccamsRazor

Here's the question: if the flyers end up with, say, the 5th overall pick, and Bernier were magically dropped back in the draft pool... Would you draft him with that pick?

No, Bernier hasn't done much in the NHL yet, but draftees have done nothing at all. Obviously. The only sure fire draft picks are the crosbys and Marios, everyone else is a gamble. Bernier, having played at least some in the nhl, is less of a gamble than your average draft pick. Seems to me the math says that is a good return for a pick.

If the price starts getting much higher than that pick, things change, but the pick itself.....

• Like 1

I watched Bernier for almost a whole game last night. If he's available for the price of our 1R pick to me it's a no-brainer. I hate missing out on a deep 1st round but every win gets us further away from a top 5 pick.

I've seen Bernier for maybe 6 periods altogether. All I can say is every play he makes reminds me of Bob. IMO Bob was our best young goalie since Pelle Lindbergh. No one since Pelle has impressed me - really at all. Bob, Bernier, these guys have everything you want in a prospect goalie.

Trade a 1R pick for him? Sure. My only hesitation stems from thinking we'll get rid of him in a year if he doesn't stand on his head every night and deliver us the Cup in 12 months. But I don't see the Kings asking for less than a 1R + a player, probably a good player.

what if mason doesnt work out or bernier he could be worst than bryz and bernier will command alot of money because he's young and he wants to be a starter even if they trade for him, then this organization will be back to square one, i would rather keep the guy that is the starter, i dont give a crap with the money, if he's making saves, keep him, getting rid of him maybe the biggest mistake.

what if mason doesnt work out or bernier he could be worst than bryz and bernier will command alot of money because he's young and he wants to be a starter even if they trade for him, then this organization will be back to square one, i would rather keep the guy that is the starter, i dont give a crap with the money, if he's making saves, keep him, getting rid of him maybe the biggest mistake.

Bernier will NOT be worse than Bryz. Bernier is the real deal. Not even sure what goaltending style Bryz is anymore. The Flyers need to act before someone like Jersey does. Lombardi owes one.

Honestly, I don't care about the money. It's not my money. It's Comcast's.

I do care about the cap hit and the length of the contract. Even assuming (as I do) he will walk away from the final two years of the deal, it's still a five year commitment.

I also care about what appears to be a complete inability to stop breakaways and shootouts. Shootouts can mean points and points mean standings. This season I've seen rocks that are more agile than Bryz defending a breakaway. (you will also note that I have excoriated the defense for playing like crap this season and giving up these breakaways).

That said, I do not expect them to buy out Bryz at the end of this season or trade for Bernier. I think they will see what they have with Mason, likely buy out Bryz after 13-14 and go from there. If Bryz puts up good numbers next season and seems more effective, they may bite the bullet and stick with him.

I just think the Flyers will take the early "out" given to them by the CBA.

@OccamsRazor

Just being a smartass. I have no problem bringing in Bernier, depending on the cost. Our 1st? No thanks, unless it's a playoff 1st. I'd have no problem bringing in Emery and letting him and Mason see what they have. As long as Bryz is gone by the end of next season. Right now (meaning until the end of this season) I'd just like to see if Mason just needed a change of scenery. He's certainly not past the "due date" for goaltenders. And he was certainly highly coveted at one time.

I watched Bernier for almost a whole game last night. If he's available for the price of our 1R pick to me it's a no-brainer. I hate missing out on a deep 1st round but every win gets us further away from a top 5 pick.

Ok ok i'm in...i just want to solve the goaltending question just once REALLY heading into a season...but like Aziz said draft picks haven't even done squat...i'm ready to win NOW!

I trust you guys opinions.

Time to turn the page on the Bryz saga...how about two #2s verse a #1...Flyers just Kevin Marshall out with em anyways....

@OccamsRazor

Here's the question: if the flyers end up with, say, the 5th overall pick, and Bernier were magically dropped back in the draft pool... Would you draft him with that pick?

No, Bernier hasn't done much in the NHL yet, but draftees have done nothing at all. Obviously. The only sure fire draft picks are the crosbys and Marios, everyone else is a gamble. Bernier, having played at least some in the nhl, is less of a gamble than your average draft pick. Seems to me the math says that is a good return for a pick.

If the price starts getting much higher than that pick, things change, but the pick itself.....

No. And if the Flyers get the 5th pick I wouldn't trade it for Bernier. He's done well so far, playing behind a solid defensive system in a low pressure hockey market (sound like anyone we know?). Playing in Lavi's fast break offense, in Philly is a different story to say the least. For a mid-late 1st round pick, yeah, he's probably worth the chance. For a top 5 pick in this draft (maybe even top 7)? No way.

Edited by JackStraw

@JackStraw

Fair. To me, bernier is a probably, the draft picks are probablies at best...and a goalie probably is worth a skater probably to me. Because goalie probablies are way rarer than skater probablies.

I do agree that goalie probablies are probably more rare than skater probablies, but I also think that goalie probablies are probably less probable than skater probablies.

Now I need a drink.

Many of you guys follow this stuff a lot closer than I do - I don't know what offers LA has turned down in the past, etc., but you don't think Bernier is worth a 1R pick - I mean a high 1R pick (like ours hopefully will be)?

The couple times I've seen him play it's dead obvious Bernier is for real, he has the skills - quick reflexes, seems to read the play well (brains) and he can skate/handle the puck. What surprised me most was how completely comfortable he looked: he's as ready as he'll ever be to take a crack at carrying a team.

Meanwhile Carter/Richards look as good as they ever did in Philly. No news there, I know, just can't help thinking "if only...." when I watch the Flyers-West.

• Like 1