Mason over Bryz? REALLY?

Guest caluso

C'mon. Bob showed next to nothing while he was here.

I hate that trade too, but he ain't no Pelle. Not by a long shot he ain't.

You sell Bob very short. In lieu of rehashing, I'll just politely disagree.

• Like 1

You sell Bob very short. In lieu of rehashing, I'll just politely disagree.

I hated the trade, primarily because gave up a good, young goalie & got next-to-nothing in return. It was a stupid trade, done for no other reason than to make Bryz feel more secure. (And if he's THAT fragile, is there any reason to believe that he can win us a Cup?)

That being said, Bob gave us no real reason to expect that he could/would/should be a potential Vezina winner. For every standout game where he showed us flashes of brilliance, he had 2 or 3 games where you wondered if he didn't really belong in the AHL instead. Don't allow his current success to change the actual facts of what you remember about his time in orange & black.

I wish he were still a Flyer, or at least that we had gotten something useful in return. But that is it.

Many of you guys follow this stuff a lot closer than I do - I don't know what offers LA has turned down in the past, etc., but you don't think Bernier is worth a 1R pick - I mean a high 1R pick (like ours hopefully will be)?

The couple times I've seen him play it's dead obvious Bernier is for real, he has the skills - quick reflexes, seems to read the play well (brains) and he can skate/handle the puck. What surprised me most was how completely comfortable he looked: he's as ready as he'll ever be to take a crack at carrying a team.

Meanwhile Carter/Richards look as good as they ever did in Philly. No news there, I know, just can't help thinking "if only...." when I watch the Flyers-West.

What he ^^^^^^^ said!

The dude didn't even know English! He was incredibly focused and had excellent physical tools. I've always said that! He clearly belonged in the NHL, and was very coachable. He wanted to win. His rookie year was exactly that, a young rookie year. He had a lot of room to grow, but was willing to work and learn.

Goalies usually take a while to develop and Philly didn't even *****g try. Bob looked like he could have been the answer.

• Like 1

Bob looked like he could have been the answer.

so true, which is exactly why the comparison to Pelle is so fitting. Since Bernie there's been a number of guys who looked like potential "answers" in goal. For me that number is 2 - Pelle and Bob.

Bryzjerkoff has to go, your paying an average goalie superstar money, on top of his poor play, he is not mentally strong enough to play in Philly. If he was making 2 million ,then Ok,, keep him, but hes making 5 million for the next 10 years, you gotta be insane to keep this ass clown.With the cap going down, the eventual $$ you will need for Schenn, Giroux and Voracek, and the $$$ we will need to pay a top defenseman, when we finally make that trade, we cant afford Bryz. We need to get out of this ridiculous contract, and also buy out Briere.

• Like 1

How is this for a goalie fix guys?

1) Trade Couts, Welly and McGinn and a 2nd to the Yotes for Runblad and their first. You then draft a dman with our first (hopefully Nurse) and draft Furcale (best goalie prospect in the draft) with the Yotes 1st, (maybe move down a few spots and pick the 2nd back up if the Yotes finish a bit low). 2)Then, you pick up Emery and let him play evenly with Mason until the best goalie shines through, for the short term.

This makes sense for the Yotes because the center franchise centers will be gone by the time they pick, and they badly need forwards/goals which Coots and McGinn could provide. We get a stud (but unproven D-man) in Runblad and pick up Furcale, a really nice goalie prospect. Makes sense to me.

We need to do soemthing like that, we need 2 defenseman for sure, so if we can trade for one and then finish low enough in the draft and get a second guy who has offensive skill, we can bring him in slow, have him on the PP and 10-15 mins of regular ice time, and not ruin the kid. I think Coots will be the one to go, I cant se us trading for Luke Schenn and then trading his brother away. This is gonna end up like when we traded Linseman for Howe ad Recchi for Desjardins, but this time they are not gonna throw in a Leclair. This will be atrade that is even and helps both teams. Of course if we want Yandle, it will cost us Coots, Cousins, and the kid we drafted last year and maybe they throw a 3 rd rounder to us.

Bryzjerkoff has to go, your paying an average goalie superstar money, on top of his poor play, he is not mentally strong enough to play in Philly. If he was making 2 million ,then Ok,, keep him, but hes making 5 million for the next 10 years, you gotta be insane to keep this ass clown.With the cap going down, the eventual $$ you will need for Schenn, Giroux and Voracek, and the $$$ we will need to pay a top defenseman, when we finally make that trade, we cant afford Bryz. We need to get out of this ridiculous contract, and also buy out Briere.

why dont you just admit you hate bryz? you know, the problem is in this city is fans hate goalies, its never the team's fault, it's always the goalies fault, you say you want bryz gone and bernier to come here and if he wants alot of money and he strugglies, you'll hate him too, fans will hate any goalie that comes here, that never satisfies them, i dont care about the goaltending why? it's not the problem, it's the team, it's all about being fans of the players and pointing the goalies. i feel sorry for the goalies that come here because it's always hate, there's never love for goalies and that's why the flyers will never win a cup because of fans hatred for goalies.

Edited by toughfighter83

why dont you just admit you hate bryz? you know, the problem is in this city is fans hate goalies, its never the team's fault, it's always the goalies fault, you say you want bryz gone and bernier to come here and if he wants alot of money and he strugglies, you'll hate him too, fans will hate any goalie that comes here, that never satisfies them, i dont care about the goaltending why? it's not the problem, it's the team, it's all about being fans of the players and pointing the goalies. i feel sorry for the goalies that come here because it's always hate, there's never love for goalies and that's why the flyers will never win a cup because of fans hatred for goalies.

What?

No one is even trying to hide their disdain for Ilya, he is not providing 5.6million dollars a year in goaltending performance. There are 30 teams playing at this level, Bryzgalov is ranked 37th statistically , so that means there are 6 back-up keepers performing better. Would you pay the price for a Mercedes Benz E class and be satisfied with the performance, trim and finish of a Nissan Maxima?

I wouldn't and if you're being honest neither would you.

Edited by mojo1917

i dont care about the goaltending why? it's not the problem, it's the team, it's all about being fans of the players and pointing the goalies.

Dude, What planet are you from that you think Bryzturtlealot is not a major piece of what is wrong with the Flyers? He literally is good for at least one and often TWO soft goals a game due to lack of attention or just plain out of position. Yes he sometimes makes great saves but rarely ever on a one on one. His drama queen antics have worn thin on the team as a whole. When your team has to score 4 goals or more to win a game, the goalie is not doing his job.....

• Like 1

toughfighter83, why should we pay Bryz 5 million a year, to play mediocre goal, we could have Leighton and Bobby Boucher (aka the Waterboy) 600,000 each, to give us the same type of goaltending. Mason has skill, he was stuck with a crap team and lost his confidence, he was rookie of the year a few seasons ago.He is a good pickup. Flyer fans hate our goalies becasue we havent had a good one since Pelle Lindbergh.and we are tired of momentum killing , spirit destroying cheap goals game in and game out. I actually liked Bob, he had the most natural skill since Lindbergh and I stated many times ,we should have kept him . He has way more antural ability than Bryz, he needed experience and some coaching, but Homer gave up on him after one year. So I dont hate our goalies, only the crappy ones like Hexy(ONE GOOD YEAR), Snow, Beezer, Roussel, Burke, Soderstrom, Hackett, Wregget, Boucher(ONE GOOD YEAR), Leighton, etc.....

Loved Bernie, Pelle and Bob was the goalie prospect we had in 30 years and we gave him away.

• Like 2

What?

No one is even trying to hide their disdain for Ilya, he is not providing 5.6million dollars a year in goaltending performance. There are 30 teams playing at this level, Bryzgalov is ranked 37th statistically , so that means there are 6 back-up keepers performing better. Would you pay the price for a Mercedes Benz E class and be satisfied with the performance, trim and finish of a Nissan Maxima?

I wouldn't and if you're being honest neither would you.

Bryz is nowhere near a Nissan Maxima. They're pretty reliable aren't they? Bryz is more like a Jaguar Overpriced and breaks down a lot.

he is not providing 5.6million dollars a year in goaltending performance.

AMEN!!!

Like FC said we can get so-so goaltending much much cheaper...no????

So he has to go...give Mason the rest of the season to evaluate...

....Bryz we know what we got...shitty goaltending...tired of the excuses...sign someone like Emery to compete with Mason or go out and sign Mason a backup like Dan Ellis...either way waste no more time on Bryz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I started a post recently offering my worthless opinion on why Bryz would not be moved. After hearing comments from jeff reece and seeing this unfold, I may soften my stance. mason could, COULD, be the very reason Bryz does get moved. I won't try to argue his ability, but i will argue his value. As stated by others here, he is as good as Bryz for less money. By freeing up that money you can go after other players. Assuming the Flyers get a good draft pick, they may be able to make a move for defensive help, still keep the core in tact and rid themsleves of what looks like a horrible signing. I believe that they signed Bryz thinking he was the guy and were scared off by Bobrovsky's injury potential. Much like they were with Emery. Like Emery though, Mason may actually be salvageable. I personally don't think so, and I hate the science experiment that has become the goaltending norm here, but I can see what the Flyers might be looking at. I wonder if Yandle will be in play in the off season, and who else might be "gettable". But at least the team has options. Its anyone's guess if they are good options

I started a post recently offering my worthless opinion on why Bryz would not be moved. After hearing comments from jeff reece and seeing this unfold, I may soften my stance. mason could, COULD, be the very reason Bryz does get moved. I won't try to argue his ability, but i will argue his value. As stated by others here, he is as good as Bryz for less money. By freeing up that money you can go after other players. Assuming the Flyers get a good draft pick, they may be able to make a move for defensive help, still keep the core in tact and rid themsleves of what looks like a horrible signing. I believe that they signed Bryz thinking he was the guy and were scared off by Bobrovsky's injury potential. Much like they were with Emery. Like Emery though, Mason may actually be salvageable. I personally don't think so, and I hate the science experiment that has become the goaltending norm here, but I can see what the Flyers might be looking at. I wonder if Yandle will be in play in the off season, and who else might be "gettable". But at least the team has options. Its anyone's guess if they are good options

Mason's got a one-year deal. I see this as the team going with Bryz and Mason next season and then deciding if either of them is worth going forward with.

I expect Bryz to be bought out after next season, unless he morphs into the second coming of Vladislav Tretiak combined with Patrick Roy and Bernie Parent.

Whether Mason stays depends on what Mason does. I am not sanguine about the idea that a guy who was a star in a "defense-first" system under Hitchcock is necessarily going to be the savior in Laviolette's Marmalade er, um, Jam offense-first system.

• Like 1

that's another great point... Mason signed an extension and that tells Bryz he has a guy breathing down his neck. He gets his act together or get bought out. The Flyers have essentially brought in a cheap "flier" to push Bryz. And Bryz had no pressure this year. He had Leighton to back him up. If you aren't confident about your abilities with that guy as a back up, you need to go to work at the local "Quick Stop" and play goalie on the roof.... and tell Dante to stop being a bitch over free Gatorade