Mason over Bryz? REALLY?

Guest caluso

To be fair to Mason, a lot of those Columbus teams were pretty bad. Even though they really turned it around this season, there defensive zone coverage was a nightmare for 90% of Mason's career there. I will say one thing, Mason has better raw skillls than Bryz. His glove is better, his quickness is better, his lateral movement is better and his positioning is better....ditto for the rebound control.

The guy I really wanted was Bishop, who just happned to toss a 5-0 shutout in his first appearance for the Bolts. We should have stepped up the offer, gone the extra mile and get a legit prospect. I think a lot of Mason' problems are mental, which makes him pretty fragile, think it was the Straw man who said, yeah, that will be a good fit in Philly....LOL!

EDIT, case in point, going into this year....the Jackets were dead last in odds to win the cup 250-1...which sounds like a nice investment right about now. The odds makers obviously didn't know how good Bob was, huh?

Edited by jammer2

My point was you were complaining about Masons .899 save percentage when Bryzarros is exactly the same.

Meanwhile Bobs has a 2.09 gaa and a .930 sv pctg. I HATED that trade. Effing snider crapped the bed on that one. Should have stuck with bobs and never even traded for Breezy. Two of the most bungled trades / moves in Flyers history. Bobs is / was the next Pelle.

Meanwhile Bobs has a 2.09 gaa and a .930 sv pctg. I HATED that trade. Effing snider crapped the bed on that one. Should have stuck with bobs and never even traded for Breezy. Two of the most bungled trades / moves in Flyers history. Bobs is / was the next Pelle.

Let's hope he has an aversion to sports cars,getting tanked, and street racing at 3 in the morning..........

The Leaf announcers were having a laugh last night at Bryz. They wanted to get rid of the trapezoid just so they could watch him play the puck more. Nick Kypreos on Hockey Central after the 2nd period suggested "he go to goalie school over the summer". His .893 save percentage likely wasn't bad enough to put him below Mason in the standings, but it'll be close.

Let's hope he has an aversion to sports cars,getting tanked, and street racing at 3 in the morning..........

The sad thing about Pelle is that he NEVER drank- except for that fatal night. I was in Jersey to see the Dead and ironically, they played "He's Gone:" at the show. Me and my hockey brethren (a couple dev and rangers fans to boot) that were with me shed some tears

Last night's game was a perfect microcosm of Bryz's problems. He can't stop a one on one shot about 80 % of the time and loses focus during the game at the worst possible moments. .824 save percentage coming off of 2 days of rest...and only faced what, 18 shots? I wouldn't mind being worn down like that at work.......

I could have sworn I saw him duck on a long range shot that went in last night.

EDIT: My apologies to Bertmega. I was working my way down the thread and just saw the video he posted. I was thinking of that - it was the Montreal game. It was Gallagher's goal. I remember thinking at the time that even the Montreal guys looked surprised that shot went in. Helps when the goaltender recoils in horror from it, though.

Edited by OH1FlyersFan

Thank you Paul Holmgren, resident comedian - the jokes keep coming.

Are we to believe that the Flyers are going to amnesty Bryz's contract for Mason. Really???????? For all of Bryz's warts, he has been one of the few bright spots; and, I daresay, if he wasn't forced to play EVERY game, his stats and play would have been even better (but, when the resident comedian doesnt have a legitimate backup on the team...)

Has anyone in the Flyers personnel department (and I use that term loosely) seen how badly Mason has played the last 4 years? Since his roookie season, his save percentage of .899 ranks 39 out of 39 for goalies who have played at least 100 games. Terrible! And, this is the guy that Reese "believes in" and this is the guy who is going to replace Bryz. Hysterical. Then again, why was I dumb enough to think that our resident comedian could judge goaltending talent: he traded Bob and cut Ericksson,

Seriously, the laughs keep coming. As long as this idiot is making personnel decisions, we will be without the Cup.

FIRE HOLMGREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this realy tells the story.

"Anton Thun, Mason's agent, said he expected the 6-foot-4, 217-pound goalie to sign a one-year deal, perhaps as soon as next week. He can become a restricted free agent if he waits until after the season, and if he did, he would not receive less than his current $3.2 million salary, which carries a $2.9 salary-cap hit. Thun said Mason would sign for less. Mason was named rookie of the year with Columbus in 2008-09, but has struggled the last four seasons. He admitted he lost his confidence in Columbus and called the trade a "fresh start." "You don't find many guys that size that can move like him . . . [and] handle the puck," Flyers goalie coach Jeff Reese said. "And he's only 24 year old now, not even close to his prime."

Sounds like the fix is in. Mason clearly wants a fresh start and a shot at the #1 G spot in Philly. Reese seems to support the idea. Perhaps Holmgren and Snider likewise? Perhaps discussions and commitments have already occured? The savings in money could go a long way for the Flyers defense and a forward. Give the historically low priority the Flyers organization places on goaltenders, I suspect Bryz and Briere are both amnesty bound and we will be seeing more of Steve Mason. I wonder the first game he gets a start in?

• Like 1

C'mon. Bob showed next to nothing while he was here.

I hate that trade too, but he ain't no Pelle. Not by a long shot he ain't.

I think I pulled a groin just watching that.

Well from every thing i've watched on him if nothing else he is quicker than Bryz....especially laterally...now can he throw a water bottle further than Bryz???

That is debatable!!!!!

Sorry but with him only 24 he is waaaaaaaaaaaay worth the gamble and i believe the Flyer's will get a discount for his 2nd chance...hope it works out.

I'd be ok witha Bryz buy out and then bringing Emery in to compete with Mason for the starter job!!!!!!

What say you????

Well from every thing i've watched on him if nothing else he is quicker than Bryz....especially laterally...now can he throw a water bottle further than Bryz???

That is debatable!!!!!

Sorry but with him only 24 he is waaaaaaaaaaaay worth the gamble and i believe the Flyer's will get a discount for his 2nd chance...hope it works out.

I'd be ok witha Bryz buy out and then bringing Emery in to compete with Mason for the starter job!!!!!!

What say you????

Mason could end up being a great pick-up for the Flyers.

I know that I am a broken record, but I want Homer to do whatever he can to get Bernier. Let him battle it out with Mason for the starter's gig. (I have zero doubt who would win that fight, though.)

I would trade our #1 for Bernier so fast your head would spin. We haven't had a legit franchise goalie in decades. Time to fix that.

C'mon. Bob showed next to nothing while he was here.

I hate that trade too, but he ain't no Pelle. Not by a long shot he ain't.

Well he did show athletic ability quick reflexes and a positive attitude...something you don't get from Mr. Universe.

• Like 1

this is proving flyers fans and media are nuts that bryz should be gone all because he's not worth the contract, that's so easy for you to say, he's a starter from another team, he's not some goalie that came from a waiver wire, this is crazy really, because this team has gone through so many goalies and couldnt even find a starter until bryz was available, for better or worse why cant you deal with it? brodeur had bad seasons with devils and he's 40 years old, so they didnt get rid him because they believed in him and the flyers fans dont believe in bryz and if he wins a cup with another team, how are you going to feel about it?

if they can find another goalie that's starter from another team in 2014 and bryz strugglies fine, but you have no idea what are you are getting yourself into, if you get rid of him now, you want to this fo to find waive wire goalies every year again? that's crazy if you think that because it never works.

what about the other players cap hits that are not playing well like mez, briere,hartnell, timms, you are okay with those bums and get rid of the goalie that is playing well? i dont care about byz should stop this or that, so what? every goalie has weakness so does brodeur, he's not a perfect goalie either and he won three cups.

is it ever about the team and not goalie for once in your life?

@AndyS

And as good of a prospect as Bernier looks, he's yet to prove himself as a "legit franchise goalie". If you offered our first, LA would be all over that.

I know that I am a broken record, and I'm biased because I get to watch a lot of Kings & Ducks games out here in SoCal, but there was talk as recently as two years ago that Bernier was the Kings' future starter & Quick (who couldn't seem to win in the playoffs) would be the odd man out.

That is how highly the Kings thought of him. They know they have a very good young goalie, and they know that he is tired of being the back-up. He will get traded this offseason. I just hope it's to the Flyers.

If the Devils get him, he will become our new nightmare. Bank on that.

@toughfighter83

If Bryz was on a 3 year deal, it wouldn't be a concern. You want him here for SEVEN more years? At that cap hit?

I'm watching the game and the commentators are making fun of how bad he is. Then it switches to Hockey Central during intermission and THEY are making fun of him.

I'm not sure what you're seeing, but his stats are the same as Masons, yet he's a starter and paid like a really good one.

I know that I am a broken record, but I want Homer to do whatever he can to get Bernier.

See here is where i have a problem with that...

...Bernier is going to cost either a player or a high draft pick (then must be resigned)....of which i want no part of losing said player or pick (in a deep draft)...instead Emery will cost you nothing off the roster or farm and should be signed rather cheaply...then the goaltender situation can work itself out...may the best man win between he and Mason!!!! WIN WIN!!!!! And the team stays intact!

Edited by OccamsRazor

......then the goaltender situation can work itself out...

See this is where I have a problem with that....the goaltending situation has been trying to work itself out for 2 1/2 decades. :blink:

...Bernier is going to cost either a player or a high draft pick (then must be resigned)....of which i want no part of losing said player or pick (in a deep draft)...instead Emery will cost you nothing off the roster or farm and should be signed rather cheaply...then the goaltender situation can work itself out...may the best man win between he and Mason!!!! WIN WIN!!!!! And the team stays intact!

No more old retreads.

What is a legit long-term franchise goalie worth to you?

Not worth a 1st round pick??? (You *would* draft one if you could, right?)

You build the team from the net out, not the other way around. I'm tired of having question marks back there every season. Seriously, it's been over 25 years since we were truly stable in net. That's ridiculous.

And Bernier can't exactly demand top dollar yet. He'd get less than Bryz right now for sure (RFA). Let Mason fight it out with Bernier - if Mason pulls off the miracle upset, then fine. (I highly doubt that would happen, but it wouldn't be a bad thing.)