Instigating with a visor

Guest TedZep

Once visors are mandatory in the NHL, and I believe that is probably the next step in player safety, every instigator penalty will be a 4 minute power play, along with a 10 minute misconduct. Most (?) people already hate the rule; will this finally lead to its demise, or at least a serious reconsideration of its application?

@DaGreatGazoo I'd be willing to bet they make it mandatory this summer, but I think it willl be grandfathered in like the helmets were. That way the NHLPA gets a little win for the vets who don't like them. They can sell it to the membership easier that way, and the NHL takes care of the problem. It's mandatory for most kids anyways, so no biggie for them.

@DaGreatGazoo I'd be willing to bet they make it mandatory this summer, but I think it willl be grandfathered in like the helmets were. That way the NHLPA gets a little win for the vets who don't like them. They can sell it to the membership easier that way, and the NHL takes care of the problem. It's mandatory for most kids anyways, so no biggie for them.

I agree...I also think they league will throw some concession/bone to the NHLPA..no idea what, but give them something to sell to the union members as well.

Once visors are mandatory in the NHL, and I believe that is probably the next step in player safety, every instigator penalty will be a 4 minute power play, along with a 10 minute misconduct. Most (?) people already hate the rule; will this finally lead to its demise, or at least a serious reconsideration of its application?

And yet more steps to the sissification of the sport.

And yet more steps to the sissification of the sport.

Bettman will probably outlaw fighting within the next few years. All issues will be settled by having the two (or more) players meet at center ice and discuss their grievances over tea and danishes...

• Like 1

No instigator with visor penalty in the AHL.

So that "minor" yet significant difference in the rules cost Jake an extra 2 min PP and then 10 minutes spectating.

We can put a man on the moon and land a remote control car on Mars. Surely we can rig it so when the gloves come off, a catch on the visors spring them back into the helmets, or even spring the chin strip and eject the helmets from the combatants heads. Kind of Rock-em Sock-em robots before a punch is thrown.

• Like 1