Flyers have acquired defenceman Kent Huskins from the Detroit Red Wings for a conditional

pilldoc

Flyers have acquired defenceman Kent Huskins from the Detroit Red Wings for a conditional seventh round draft pick in 2014

Just got it from AFF in chat who heard it on TV/Radio. Will get more info when I can.

http://en.wikipedia....reer_statistics

Playing career

Before making his NHL debut with the Ducks in 2006, he played five seasons in the AHL. He was drafted 156th overall in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft by the Chicago Blackhawks, and played for Norfolk, San Antonio, and Manitoba of the AHL before joining the Ducks' AHL affiliate, the Portland Pirates, in 2005. He also played four seasons at Clarkson University. In his senior year, Huskins was an NCAA East First Team All-American and a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award.

Huskins made his NHL debut on December 23, 2006 when the Ducks played the Phoenix Coyotes. Kent was recalled from Portland to fill a gap in the Anaheim defensive corps caused by an injury to Sean O'Donnell, and then later to Chris Pronger. He was sent back down a month later, but called up for good when the Ducks dealt Shane O'Brien at the trade deadline. He won the Stanley Cup with the Anaheim Ducks in 2007.

On Monday, October 15, 2007, Huskins scored his first career goal in a game versus the Detroit Red Wings.

Huskins was traded to the San Jose Sharks on March 4, 2009 along with Travis Moen for Nick Bonino, Timo Pielmeier and a 4th round draft pick in 2011.[1]

In the offseason, Huskins was signed to the most lucrative contract he had ever had, signing a two-year deal that would pay him US$1.5 million the first year and US$1.9 million the second year.

On July 2, 2011 he was signed as a free agent to a one-year deal with the St. Louis Blues for $1 million.[2] In a largely ineffective 2011–12 season with the Blues hampered by injury, Huskins appeared in 25 games for 7 points.

After a resolution to the 2012–13 NHL lockout was reached, Huskins signed as a free agent to a try-out contract with his first professional team the Norfolk Admirals on January 17, 2013.[3] Less than a week later, he was signed as a free agent to a one-year deal by the Detroit Red Wings.[4]

On March 30, 2013 Huskins was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers for a 7th round conditional draft pick and a bag of pucks

Edited by pilldoc

SHEDULE THE PARADE!!! :ph34r:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419462

FLYERS ACQUIRE D HUSKINS FROM RED WINGS FOR DRAFT PICK

The Philadelphia Flyers have acquired defenceman Kent Huskins from the Detroit Red Wings for a conditional seventh round draft pick in 2014.

Huskins has appeared in 11 games for the Red Wings this season without registering a point and is a minus-3 on the season.

Huskins is in the final year of his contract and has a cap hit hit of $750,000.

Flyers have acquired defenceman Kent Huskins from the Detroit Red Wings for a conditional seventh round draft pick in 2014

Just got it from AFF in chat who heard it on TV/Radio. Will get more info when I can.

http://en.wikipedia....reer_statistics

Playing career

Before making his NHL debut with the Ducks in 2006, he played five seasons in the AHL. He was drafted 156th overall in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft by the Chicago Blackhawks, and played for Norfolk, San Antonio, and Manitoba of the AHL before joining the Ducks' AHL affiliate, the Portland Pirates, in 2005. He also played four seasons at Clarkson University. In his senior year, Huskins was an NCAA East First Team All-American and a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award.

Huskins made his NHL debut on December 23, 2006 when the Ducks played the Phoenix Coyotes. Kent was recalled from Portland to fill a gap in the Anaheim defensive corps caused by an injury to Sean O'Donnell, and then later to Chris Pronger. He was sent back down a month later, but called up for good when the Ducks dealt Shane O'Brien at the trade deadline. He won the Stanley Cup with the Anaheim Ducks in 2007.

On Monday, October 15, 2007, Huskins scored his first career goal in a game versus the Detroit Red Wings.

Huskins was traded to the San Jose Sharks on March 4, 2009 along with Travis Moen for Nick Bonino, Timo Pielmeier and a 4th round draft pick in 2011.[1]

In the offseason, Huskins was signed to the most lucrative contract he had ever had, signing a two-year deal that would pay him US$1.5 million the first year and US$1.9 million the second year.

On July 2, 2011 he was signed as a free agent to a one-year deal with the St. Louis Blues for $1 million.[2] In a largely ineffective 2011–12 season with the Blues hampered by injury, Huskins appeared in 25 games for 7 points.

After a resolution to the 2012–13 NHL lockout was reached, Huskins signed as a free agent to a try-out contract with his first professional team the Norfolk Admirals on January 17, 2013.[3] Less than a week later, he was signed as a free agent to a one-year deal by the Detroit Red Wings.[4]

On March 30, 2013 Huskins was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers for a 7th round conditional draft pick and a bag of pucks

Flyers are looking up at rock bottom! Huskins are you kidding me? If he's a better option than Lilja, WHO YOU HAVE ALREADY, get rid of him for christ sake

Edited by twpguy

Emergency move. Obviously management knows that they aren't comfortable with what they have and don't want to rush anybody along who they don't think is ready and probably ruining any confidence they have. Kind of surprised that Manning or somebody wasn't called up to be honest with you. I wonder what the condition is of the pick? Flyers making the playoffs or him re-signing? Might be a freebie haha

Conditional 7th. I hope he is a UFA at the end of the season.

He is UFA at the end of this season and only $750K salary, that is obviously pro rated for the rest of the year.

Kind of surprised that Manning or somebody wasn't called up to be honest with you.

They did call up Oliver Lauridsen. He is in the line up today.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

He is UFA at the end of this season and only $750K salary, that is obviously pro rated for the rest of the year.

They did call up Oliver Lauridsen. He is in the line up today.

OL 38 looks good today. Can skate, pass, shoot, nice with the stick in Marchant's chest. Foster, Gervais, Lilja, Gus, Mez all will be gone over the summer. This guy from Detroit is just a fillin' for the rest of the season. Kimmo, Colburn, Grossman, and Schenn the only D men guaranteed to come back next year. I want to see every Phantom D man brought up for a couple of games. Let; se Manning.

The only good news, he *was* good, about 5-6 years ago. The bad, he's horribly slow, gets treated like a pylon, and our Wings posters have voiced their displeasure with him on more than one occasion. I know it'll probably be a 7th....but why not wait till you see what Oliver looks like before you start reaching for over the hill vets who have lost 2 full steps.....geez. He might be better than Lilja, maybe tied with Foster on the useless scale. Thing I don't get....why burn an asset, even if it's a 7th next year, that pick could have been used to move up in the 5th or 6th, if someone they like is still on the board. Not that big a deal, but it's poor asset management.....again. There is just no reason to make this move. This guy brings nothing but toughness to the table, and anyone can fill that role.

• Like 2

The only good news, he *was* good, about 5-6 years ago. The bad, he's horribly slow, gets treated like a pylon, and our Wings posters have voiced their displeasure with him on more than one occasion. I know it'll probably be a 7th....but why not wait till you see what Oliver looks like before you start reaching for over the hill vets who have lost 2 full steps.....geez. He might be better than Lilja, maybe tied with Foster on the useless scale. Thing I don't get....why burn an asset, even if it's a 7th next year, that pick could have been used to move up in the 5th or 6th, if someone they like is still on the board. Not that big a deal, but it's poor asset management.....again. There is just no reason to make this move. This guy brings nothing but toughness to the table, and anyone can fill that role.

What's really troubling is, Homer started the year going after the Weber's and now he's recruiting the Huskins of the world. Simply put, that's F'n pathetic

@ Homer has shown me one thing through the acquisitions of Foster, Lilja, Gervais and now Huskins.....he has absolutely NO CLUE how to add a depth d-man....none whatsoever. I kinda knew he was crap at that, but this season cemented that. BRUTAL.

• Like 3

@jammer

I guess to be fair Homer didn't expect any of the pairs to look how they do today. Depth guys are skating every night, another call-up today... not saying you're wrong just that I give Homz a little grace on this one I guess.

[edit: btw Lauridsen I thought looked really good for his first NHL game - against a strong team too (who played kind of soft but still).]

Edited by canoli

@canoli "[edit: btw Lauridsen I thought looked really good for his first NHL game - against a strong team too (who played kind of soft but still).]"

That's my big problem with this move. Why not wait a few hours and see how Oliver plays? If he plays well, the move is not needed and we waste yet another asset. How in the holy hell is Kent friggin Huskins gonna make or break us? unnecesary.

There is just no reason to make this move.

That's the key... right there. This is another in a countless amount of trades Homer made *just* to make a trade. This move accomplishes abosultely nothing.

This is getting old.

Edited by Mad Dog

I want to see every Phantom D man brought up for a couple of games. Let; se Manning.

Exactly let's look close by before venturing out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ollie looked good today for a first ever game, and add much needed size on the backend...especially with GrossmanN out.

Hopefully he can grow into "the Great Dane" tittle here...

Edited by OccamsRazor

@canoli "[edit: btw Lauridsen I thought looked really good for his first NHL game - against a strong team too (who played kind of soft but still).]"

That's my big problem with this move. Why not wait a few hours and see how Oliver plays? If he plays well, the move is not needed and we waste yet another asset. How in the holy hell is Kent friggin Huskins gonna make or break us? unnecesary.

Not too mention, were Detroit's phone lines smoking up with several teams about Huskins that it couldn't have waited? Waited til maybe, ummm, NEVER.

I wish we'd spent a 2nd and a conditional on Jordan Leopold instead. Don't know why but I always liked him. Remember the buzz about him all those years ago? (1R or early 2nd, I can't remember) He didn't really live up to the hype I guess but at least he can play the position; he's an actual NHL defenseman...unlike Huskins who's job - once every blue moon when he dresses - is to be a tough guy.