Droolin' for Drouin

@pilldoc

That's what I'm thinking there... Draft the best available player. Now how do the Flyers scouts have them ranked is I'm sure different than us armchair GMs. But when a guy like @Podein25 says a guy is the best skater he's seen in a long long time...and that that player is a total package , or tells a story about a kids ability to take over a game , at will, I think well it would be really nice to have that Extra first this year , to draft a very good d prospect In addition to the best players available...And then use Couts Laughton Cousins to bring back a good young defenseman.

Edited by mojo1917

@pilldoc

That's what I'm thinking there... Draft the best available player. Now how do the Flyers scouts have them ranked is I'm sure different than us armchair GMs. But when a guy like @Podein25 says a guy is the best skater he's seen in a long long time...and that that player is a total package , or tells a story about a kids ability to take over a game , at will, I think well it would be really nice to have that Extra first this year , to draft a very good d prospect In addition to the best players available...And then use Couts Laughton Cousins to bring back a good young defenseman.

and sadly our trading chips are all hurt..(.Briere / Mez ) in trying to get that extra 1st rouder..

@doom88

I don't think I take Nurse over either MacKinnon or Drouin. Now if we're picking 4th, take Nurse over Russian kid.

I agree ideally I'd rather Jones and make the rest academic

ideally if we don't get #1 and Jones then pray we are #5 or #6 and take the pressure off Homer. Surely Drouin / McKinnon will be going 2/3.

That leaves top D for the pickin and no thinking from Homer....(well I hope) :ph34r:

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

@pilldoc

A good young defenseman such as who? Doughty? Forget it. Pietrangelo? Forget that too. Eric Karlsson? I don't think so. Teams are just not going to be interested in solving the Flyers problems by trading these kinds of players. This is the philosophy the organization has followed for decades now and where has it gotten them? They made out getting Timonen and Desjardins (but still no Cup), but paid a very high price for Pronger. If you go this route you have to find a willing trade partner who wants something that you have. And chances are you will have to overpay. Or maybe you get lucky and one of these guys hits free agency, then you're in a bidding war and you probably overpay anyway or just miss out completel (see Ryan Suter).

If the Flyers draft at 5, then Nurse seems an easy choice. But if they're between 1 (Jones) and 5 (Nurse) then I see no good reason not to try to trade up or down to get one of those two guys. If you trade down maybe you get another pick or a prospect or something useful. And you can still trade an asset+ for another defenseman, because after Timonen retires the Flyers will need another one. In theory taking the BPA and then trading existing assets to fill a need sounds great. In practice, there are a lot of unknowns and things you can't control.

Edited by JackStraw
  • Like 1

@JackStraw

In this draft I'd really like the first pick, 2 or 3 is interesting / perilous, trade down ? there's no guarantee Nurse is still there at 5-10 so you lose out on Drouin, MacKinnon and Nurse but get 3 quarters for the dollar, plus by taking BPA maybe there is now a trading partner that wants what you now have.

All this to say , I'd like it if the Flyers get serious about losing so it is a moot topic.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

@JackStraw

"A good young defenseman such as who? Doughty? Forget it. Pietrangelo? Forget that too. Eric Karlsson? I don't think so. Teams are just not going to be interested in solving the Flyers problems by trading these kinds of players "

Yep, and even the second tier stars like Shattenrkirk are rarely traded. I was shocked when that trade went down, Stewart is so streaky and Shatts has been in on primary assists quite a bit this year. The only exception could be the Phoenix situation. They have Oliver Ekman Larson (who is not going anywhere), Yandle and the unrpoven but highly thought of Runblad, who came over from Ottawa for Turris. That teams new owners might think they are overpaying for defense and might move Yandle or Runblad. That's the spot you wanna go shopping if you can put together an enticing enough offer.

• Like 1

Homer should be on the phone with the Flames, Oilers and especially the Sabres trying to find out what it will take to get their 1st.

Totally agree deep draft this year...and lets face it it's rebuild time...purge the junk...buy out Bryz and bring Emery back!!!!!!!!!!!

@doom88

I don't think I take Nurse over either MacKinnon or Drouin. Now if we're picking 4th, take Nurse over Russian kid.

I agree ideally I'd rather Jones and make the rest academic

Barkov is no Russian. He's a big talented smooth skating gritty Finn.

i think what people are thinking....and I may be wrong here so please correct me if I am......that if we draft #2 or #3 they would rather draft a McKinnon and/or Drouin because from what I am interpreting that either one of these guys are much better than a Coots or Laughton. Then take either Coots and/or Laughton and trade him for a yound elite D-man since this organization can't develop a young d-man on their own. Now my only counter argument to that theory is ...is either Coots / Laughton have a value that would equal in return such a d-man that we all want? and would a team even be willing to trade such a player since these types of players take a few years to develop.

I agree with you doom, I want a VERY HIGH quality d-man ..but then the counter argument is do you pass of on such a talent that Drouin / McKinnon could possibly bring.

It is a very interesting / highly debatable argument for both sides. The question I rise is what I posted above. Do you trust Homer to do the right thing? I don't!

It's a very strange situation for us to be in, given our obvious needs!

I don't trust Homer one bit, and I don't trust the man pulling the strings behind Homer. I don't know how often those strings get pulled, but we've seen them pulled very publicly. So, that's another layer of interference.

The problem is, as you say, will Coots be enough to get that top pairing type of defenseman. He certainly won't get you a Hamilton-type prospect, despite the irony of him being worth less than a guy who was picked after him.

If you have 2nd overall, I think you need to pick MacKinnon or Drouin. What about 3rd overall? Do you take the Drouin/MacKinnon leftover? Does it matter which one of those two is available, i.e. would it change your decision based on who's there? And what if we pick 4th? At that point, do you go for Nurse?

If you have 2nd overall, I think you need to pick MacKinnon or Drouin. What about 3rd overall? Do you take the Drouin/MacKinnon leftover? Does it matter which one of those two is available, i.e. would it change your decision based on who's there? And what if we pick 4th? At that point, do you go for Nurse?

Great question! Assume Jones / McKinnon / Drouin are gone and we are picking #4...is Nurse worth #4? or Is he the next highest D-man available?

According to The Hockey News from 3 days ago Nurse is listed at #8 but he is the 2nd highest D-man behind Jones. The other options are then in theire respect order:

4. Valery Nichushkin, C, Traktor

Earlier in the year, the “Russian factor” was a question when it came to Nichushkin’s draft slot. But speaking with scouts and execs, they don’t care; he’s just too talented. His size adds to the intimidation and even though he has a contract back home, a patient team will get a game-breaker in a couple years.

5. Sasha Barkov, C, Tappara

The man-child with excellent vision has continued his unprecedented run as a 17-year-old in Finland’s top league, where he has his team on the cusp of the semifinal. Barkov brings the entire package and plays a team game.

6. Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa

The last prospect standing on a 67’s ship that went down in flames, Monahan now has a lot of time to train until the draft combine, since he’s too old for the world under-18s. Nevertheless, the kid has great hockey sense and uses his big frame to protect the puck with authority.

Do the Flyers then go after one of the above mentioned players at #4 (best player available) since technically they are all listed above Nurse. Tough Tough quesions. I prefer that the Flyers stay the course and draft Nurse at #4. However, I see the flip side of the argument of drafting one of the above 3 and flipping either Coots or Laighton for an NHL ready d-man. Then again the unknown question is are the 3 players above head and shoulders better than Coots / Laughton? That is the million dollar question.