Droolin' for Drouin

@JackStraw Ha ha....my best friend is first cousins with Tie, we get the luxury sutie every once and a while. I'm friends with the whole family, when I go to TO, I usually stay at Domi's parents house. So, if Tie's son Max was to get picked by Toronto, I'd eventually get the suite, after the initial rush of relatives get tired of going.....should he only come 2-4 times a year, it would be tough to skip in front of the huge onslaught of requests from direct family members......so Leafs, do the right thing and draft Max!! LOL! I don't see the Flyers taking Max, but if they did, there would be a big sentimental outpouring and I might slip in as a result..., but any other team, I'd be left out in the cold, which is really the way it should be, family first and all. I respect that.

On a slightly more serious note, don't MacKinnon and Drouin play in your neck of the woods? Have you seen them? Or anyone else interesting?

Yeah, I've been to about 15-20 games, mostly this year, some last.

The last game I was at (near end of regular season) I was sitting right behind the Moosehead bench. MacKinnon wasn't playing (injury) so was mainly watching Drouin. I own him in my keeper pool, of course, so keenly interested in him. I'm sitting there with a couple of guys in the pool and seeing that Drouin is enormously frustrated - every shift he's coming back to the bench visibly upset at his teammates, at himself, at bad luck - whatever, And I say: "I don't like that body language one bit"

Before I can get my beer in me, Drouin goes out and puts a clinic on, scores 2 and sets up 2 in the course of about 10 minutes.

He's competitive. He wants the puck.

As a player, he's most comparable to Pat Kane. Slicker hands probably. With Giroux-type potential on other aspects of the game.

MacKinnon? Best skater I've seen in a long, long time. Complete player. If I'm a GM I'm ranking them thusly:

Jones

MacKinnon

Drouin

Barkov

Nurse

Russian dude1

Russian dude 2

Lindholm

• Like 2

Sorry about that I thought it would be a deep 1st round from what i have heard. Is it more or less you got your top 5 and thats it until the later rounds where the depth of tis years draft comes in? If thats the case I half to look up guys like Mckinnon or Druin but they sound like either ones a great pick, Holmgren will find a way to fcuk it up though....What do you guys think about trading our 1st for the defensemen for the Capitals the guys name is Eminger???

Oh theres more depth than 5 players. I just think there are 5 or 6 elite players. You'd still get good players after that. The only way to beat great teams is with great players.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been to about 15-20 games, mostly this year, some last.

The last game I was at (near end of regular season) I was sitting right behind the Moosehead bench. MacKinnon wasn't playing (injury) so was mainly watching Drouin. I own him in my keeper pool, of course, so keenly interested in him. I'm sitting there with a couple of guys in the pool and seeing that Drouin is enormously frustrated - every shift he's coming back to the bench visibly upset at his teammates, at himself, at bad luck - whatever, And I say: "I don't like that body language one bit"

Before I can get my beer in me, Drouin goes out and puts a clinic on, scores 2 and sets up 2 in the course of about 10 minutes.

He's competitive. He wants the puck.

As a player, he's most comparable to Pat Kane. Slicker hands probably. With Giroux-type potential on other aspects of the game.

MacKinnon? Best skater I've seen in a long, long time. Complete player. If I'm a GM I'm ranking them thusly:

Jones

MacKinnon

Drouin

Barkov

Nurse

Russian dude1

Russian dude 2

Lindholm

Good stuff. Thanks.

@flyercanuck

this has been the driest spring in the 4 years I have been out here. 65 degrees and sunny is the forecast for the weekend. My friend is a tree arborist so we have plenty of fire wood. Mt Hood national forest is gorgeous and I am very excited to sit on the Clackamas River and drink beers all day!

@JackStraw

I may have Nurse too high in that list for many. but I`m a fan. And forgot about Sean Monahan who I just haven't seen play enough to have a strong opinion of. But seeing as how he is a natural centre, I'm sure that's who Homer will take, if given the opportunity.

@Podein25 I'm in the same boat with Nurse, I've seen a few clips, watched him live last year last and watched a fair amount of the Greyhounds playoff series with the Attack.....seen him enough to know, if he's there at #5 and the Flyers pass, they should be shot and pissed on....starting with Homer!!

• Like 2

Nurse is definately 5 in my books. I'm almost tempted to put him at four but Barkov looks awesome too

Based on what I have seen of Nurse watching the Soo this season I would rate Nurse at around No 5 also.

Having said that IF we are picking 2nd or 3rd then I have to say you take Drouin or McKinnon, whichever one is available. Whilst the organisational need for a solid D prospect is huge for me you take one of those two guys and then either Coots or Schenn becomes expendable and could be flipped for a decent Dman.

• Like 3

Based on what I have seen of Nurse watching the Soo this season I would rate Nurse at around No 5 also.

Having said that IF we are picking 2nd or 3rd then I have to say you take Drouin or McKinnon, whichever one is available. Whilst the organisational need for a solid D prospect is huge for me you take one of those two guys and then either Coots or Schenn becomes expendable and could be flipped for a decent Dman.

Hate to pass on a good "D" prospect, but if the above situation comes to fruition, then I am all for your plan. Now the BIG question of the night???

What is Homer thinking.....and quite frankly that is what scares the livin bejeezus out of me.......

So Homer is an idiot for drafting Couturier over Hamilton and Laughton over Maata, but now people want another forward? Seriously? This makes no sense, and is wildly inconsistent. And people have admitted the forwards are not generational talents!

Draft D. I don't care if the entire draft is D and G.

• Like 2

What is Homer thinking

Reminds me of an old joke...

God comes to earth to find a man to be the new messiah. Eventually he finds the right guy and approaches him with a tempting offer – become the messiah for God and be granted any one wish.

Guy thinks about it for a while and says here’s the deal: I’ve always wanted to visit Hawaii but am petrified of flying and boats. So if you build me a bridge to Hawaii so I can drive there I will become the messiah.

God looks at the guy and says are you crazy? A bridge to Hawaii?!!! Have you any idea how much it would cost, how long it would take, how much effort? Anything else but that!

Guy thinks again. Finally says okay, well I’ve always wanted to know how the mind of a woman works.

God looks at him and says: About that bridge to Hawaii, you want it two lanes, or four...

So Homer is an idiot for drafting Couturier over Hamilton and Laughton over Maata, but now people want another forward? Seriously? This makes no sense, and is wildly inconsistent. And people have admitted the forwards are not generational talents!

Doom, you seriously want to take a guy at No 2 (Nurse) who ISS have ranked as No 5? I firmly believe you take the best player available and then use that asset to fill organisational holes if you need to. My concern is that Homer's perception of best player available (Laughton over Maatta for example) does not match mine and that of many others.

Edited by EDI-Flyer

ha ha....heard this one a few years ago, it always makes me chuckle...

Saint Peter meets the newest entry into heaven at the Pearly Gates and begins to take him on a tour of his new home. Saint Peter points out the different regions for the different religions of the world....over here, we have the Muslims, to the left Catholics, due north, that's Hindu city. Suddenly, the newcomer comes across a huge wall a 100 feet high....Saint Peter, what's in there? Saint Peter responds...SHHHHHHHHH!!!! That's the Born Again again section, they think they are the only ones here!!

Draft D. I don't care if the entire draft is D and G.

i think what people are thinking....and I may be wrong here so please correct me if I am......that if we draft #2 or #3 they would rather draft a McKinnon and/or Drouin because from what I am interpreting that either one of these guys are much better than a Coots or Laughton. Then take either Coots and/or Laughton and trade him for a yound elite D-man since this organization can't develop a young d-man on their own. Now my only counter argument to that theory is ...is either Coots / Laughton have a value that would equal in return such a d-man that we all want? and would a team even be willing to trade such a player since these types of players take a few years to develop.

I agree with you doom, I want a VERY HIGH quality d-man ..but then the counter argument is do you pass of on such a talent that Drouin / McKinnon could possibly bring.

It is a very interesting / highly debatable argument for both sides. The question I rise is what I posted above. Do you trust Homer to do the right thing? I don't!

Doom, you seriously want to take a guy at No 2 (Nurse) who ISS have ranked as No 5? I firmly believe you take the best player available and then use that asset to fill organisational holes if you need to. My concern is that Homer's perception of best player available (Laughton over Maatta for example) does not match mine and that of many others.

@EDI-Flyer,

I've always heard that and believe in that philosophy, too. It isn't just Homer's perception, but all of the Flyers' scouting team perception and where they have the players ranked. What we read on the internet and see on TV can be a whole lot different than what the scouts are seeing.

It isn't just Homer's perception, but all of the Flyers' scouting team perception and where they have the players ranked.

AFF,

The problem remains the same... Whilst these scouts are out watching the games the ISS rankings (to give but one example) are compiled from a wide range of scouts from different organisations. Ultimately it is one scouts opinion over another and you can't tell for a few years who was right.

The problem is this whilst over the years the scouting team has proven relatively successful in drafting 1st round picks they have pretty much sucked later in the draft. Off the top of my head, the only later round draft pick playing for the Flyers is Rinaldo. Look at a team like Detroit who hasn't had a top ten pick in around 20 years yet manages to draft solid young players. Look at their late round draft steals (Zetterberg, Datsyuk) and compare that against ours. Which scouting team do you think is more reliable?

And ultimately Homer is GM and responsible for the scouting staff too...

Edited by EDI-Flyer