Droolin' for Drouin

Yiikes! Next year is Ekblads draft. He plays on our local junior A team. He's the size of Jones (Jones is 2 1/2 years older) has one of the highest hockey IQs I've ever seen in a junior and is the best defenceman on one of the top OHL teams. Put it this way, Jones wasn't even playing junior at Ekblads age. I'd take Ekblad over any player in this draft, and I sure wouldn't trade Mez AND a chance to snag him.

Don't think MacKinnon is in Crosbys class. And I'd say Drouin and him are pretty close talent-wise. MacKinnon is a better skater, Drouin has better hands.

I would be surprised if the Flyers were willing to trade their 2014 #1, since the draft will be in Philadelphia.

Yiikes! Next year is Ekblads draft. He plays on our local junior A team. He's the size of Jones (Jones is 2 1/2 years older) has one of the highest hockey IQs I've ever seen in a junior and is the best defenceman on one of the top OHL teams. Put it this way, Jones wasn't even playing junior at Ekblads age. I'd take Ekblad over any player in this draft, and I sure wouldn't trade Mez AND a chance to snag him.

Don't think MacKinnon is in Crosbys class. And I'd say Drouin and him are pretty close talent-wise. MacKinnon is a better skater, Drouin has better hands.

Sure, fair point. But what are the odds that we even get a *sniff* of the 1st overall like we are this year? SNider and co will not let that happen.

Flyers need to get another top 7-9 pick somehow.

I dunno, I'm thinking the Flyers are better of trading for a d-man who either has some NHL experience or is just about ready to play rather than another 18 year old. With a first and second round pick we should be able to address some projected needs. But if I'm trading away a current roster player I want someone who can contribute next season.

• Like 1

@TimKerrFan12 I'm glad we have you on hand for some perspective bro, I trust your opinion 100%.

"MacKinnon is a stronger skater and stronger overall physically, but he tries to do too much and I find he loses the puck trying to make fancy moves. That could be an age thing and a developmental thing. "

Good Lord, if that does not describe Taylor Hall to a tee when he played in Windsor! All this flash and dash, fancy smhancy moves that quite often didn't lead to pts....just cause you can do it, does not mean you should...lol. Taylor used to drive us crazy when he killed penalties, always got to fancy (ie around the back to himself etc) and although it did not lead to to many goals against, we as fans knew it was not cool. I'm thinking it was a maturity thing, just engrossed with his own talent...and wanting to impress scouts, but I think it did the opposite. Not sure if McKinnon falls into the same catagory, but I'm betting he does. Little to much ego, not enough of just being a good solid teammate.

• Like 1

Posted · Hidden by Digityman, March 27, 2013 - dup
Hidden by Digityman, March 27, 2013 - dup

@TimKerrFan12 I'm glad we have you on hand for some perspective bro, I trust your opinion 100%.

"MacKinnon is a stronger skater and stronger overall physically, but he tries to do too much and I find he loses the puck trying to make fancy moves. That could be an age thing and a developmental thing. "

Good Lord, if that does not describe Taylor Hall to a tee when he played in Windsor! All this flash and dash, fancy smhancy moves that quite often didn't lead to pts....just cause you can do it, does not mean you should...lol. Taylor used to drive us crazy when he killed penalties, always got to fancy (ie around the back to himself etc) and although it did not lead to to many goals against, we as fans knew it was not cool. I'm thinking it was a maturity thing, just engrossed with his own talent...and wanting to impress scouts, but I think it did the opposite. Not sure if McKinnon falls into the same catagory, but I'm betting he does. Little to much ego, not enough of just being a good solid teammate.

@pilldoc Thanks for posting that doc, never seen that highlight clip of Nurse, WOW.....I mean WOW, that one clip of him going around the d-man for a goal....OMG did he explode. I mean yeah, maybe the kid he was blowing by was a stiff who played it improperly, but that was some ELITE speed and moves right there!

I feel really, really guility for ignoring the OHL this year, it just did not co-inside with work, only got to 2 games and seen none of Nurse this year (seen him once last year). He looks like he has grown by leaps and bounds, moves, speed, physicality....all of it. This kid looks like he was born to be a Flyer. I would have NO REGRETS taking him if the big 3 are off the board!!

Just to throw it into the conversation, I agree with fc about Exblad, he is the real deal...and he's from Essex county, where I live...it's the water around here I tell ya!

I have heard pro scouts compare Sean Day with the immortal Paul Coffey, he skates *that* well, the kid was just granted exceptional status, plays right across the river from me with Detroit Compuware. Nothing like putting a little pressure on the 15 year old, Paul Coffey comparisions....LOL!

<br />@pilldoc Thanks for posting that doc, never seen that highlight clip of Nurse, WOW.....I mean WOW, that one clip of him going around the d-man for a goal....OMG did he explode. I mean yeah, maybe the kid he was blowing by was a stiff who played it improperly, but that was some ELITE speed and moves right there!<br />

That clip showed some serious skating ability. Very impressive for a kid that size.

Just amazing to watch the hands of McKinnon and Drouin....some of those clips the goalie was faked out about 4 or 5 times before he just collpased from all the moves and the puck was just inevitably tossed over their sprallled out corpse, the first one or two moves would have done it, but the extra few moves after it were just sick!! I'm super impressed with McKinnon's skating, it's super duper elite, and his cuts are out of this world deadly!!

@flyercanuck We need to utilize Leaky Leighton way more!! If we go on a winning streak with *this* kinda talent on the board, I'm gonna SNAP. Let's put the Flyer pride aside for a month or so and reap the rewards of being crappy for once!! There is just to much at stake here. Bryz has been bad enough to make it look reasonable to play L.L....make it happen Lavi....a parting gift of sorts....LOL!

Given how well the Habs have played this year, do you think they'd be willing to give up their 1st for, say, Briere and a 2nd? It helps us by taking Briere's contract off the books, and we get an extra 1st rounder. FOr Montreal, they get a proven playoff performer, and our 2nd will probably end up being just a few picks lower than Montreal's 1st, so not a big loss.

Or, is there a better deal to be had for Briere somewhere else? THe Habs might be the most logical choice, and a team that Danny would waive for.

Then I'd like to see Homer try to move that Montreal pick up in the draft, somewhere in the top 10. It might cost a bit, but this is a great year to do it.

@jammer2

Leighton isn't going to be much of a downgrade on Bryzaster. He's still coming through with those bad goals, I'm confident he can take us to the promised land. I put my sig up when we were sitting a lot higher than now, and it's the most confidence i've had in him since they signed him. GO BRYZ!

It's a pretty sick looking top 5 or even 6. I just hope we stay there. We don't need one of those futile Leaf hot streaks that have you finish ONE point out of the playoffs.

Bryz sits and we play Leighton the rest of the year...heck might as well give Heeter a start here and there! :)

Is it me, or does Mackinnon's game look easier to transfer to the NHL style game??

He looks like Nash to me... Drouin looks slick and all, but on many of those plays, I say to myself.. "An NHL defender stops that easily or kills that kid cutting across like that"

Mackinnon seems to play more like an NHL'er already... using speed and his body instead of dangling all over the place begging for a concussion or knee blowout.

• Like 1