Komisarek

Guest trevluk

Any of you interested in Mike Komisarek? He has one year left on a deal at 4.5 mil but if we claim him off waivers I think we get him at a 50% discount and Toronto has to pick up the other 50%? At 2.25 mil what have we got to lose at this point?

Jeez, is the guy that bad? Could he do any worse than our existing D? I dont want him at 4.5 though, only if we could get him at 2.25. I know he has had a rough year but maybe all he needs is a change of scenery.

What about Dan Boyle? Sharks might look to move him at the deadline.

To tell you the truth, I'm not making a move that involves a trade right now.

I'm trading some of my veteran assets for whatever I draft picks/prospects I can get. I'm going to the draft and taking as many defensemen as possible and at least one goalie. Then I go into free agency and getting a couple stop-gap type defensemen with the money I sliced by trading away my veteran assets (there aren't any #1 types out there, so we'll have to suffer through mediocrity for another year or two, but there are players like Ian White, Jordan Leopold, Andrew Alberts, Joe Corvo, Mark Eaton, etc. that can get the job done while we wait on our draft picks and are better than the Lilja/Walker/Foster/Gervais abortion we've been watching).

If I'm dumping Bryz--which I could argue either way--then I go out and sign Emery and Ellis just as stop gap types. I'd probably just keep Bryz for another year, though, and sign one of either Emery or Ellis as the backup (preferably Emery so you have a long-term substitute option).

My draft next year would operate similarly to this one. I'm still drafting defensemen and goalies unless there's an "I just can't help myself" winger when I'm going to the podium. Next offseason maybe I'm looking at a Hiller or Halak or Elliott depending on whether Bryz is still here. On defense, I'm hoping some of my drafts this year are ready, but if not maybe you try to steal a Letang from Pitt or you try to bring Seidenberg back or something.

I just think the situation calls for patience and probably calls for at least two years of development rather than moving young assets for other question marks.

• Like 1

Maybe, we should claim Komasarek. My reasoning is as follows....lets say we get a top 5 or 6 pick this year, by picking up Komasarek, that gives us a bit more depth to try and move up in the draft and finallly land a franchise defenseman. Lets say we offer our pick plus Mezzaros and something else to move up and grab the # 1 pick. I know Komasarek has not been that good, but Mez is always hurt anyway. We can than trade Coots for a good young defenseman, who can step in and help right away. So by making these moves we add two much needed young defensemen to our team.

Maybe, we should claim Komasarek. My reasoning is as follows....lets say we get a top 5 or 6 pick this year, by picking up Komasarek, that gives us a bit more depth to try and move up in the draft and finallly land a franchise defenseman. Lets say we offer our pick plus Mezzaros and something else to move up and grab the # 1 pick. I know Komasarek has not been that good, but Mez is always hurt anyway. We can than trade Coots for a good young defenseman, who can step in and help right away. So by making these moves we add two much needed young defensemen to our team.

The only problem besides his cap hit is the fact he hasn't been the same since Lucic beat the crap out of him when he was playing with Montreal. But he'd be an improvement over Gervais or Foster and that's not saying much for those two.

I'm against improving this roster. To what end? To fight scratch and claw our way into the playoffs, to be knocked out in the first round....and the dreary mid round draft pick associated with a first round knock out? No real impact players left at that point.....it's all flawed players with this or that to work on. I prefer this roster to sink or swim on their own accord. This would probably inevitably lead to a top 10, maybe even a top 5 pick should things fall our way. Why should we increase our cap situation for this year and beyond picking up a horrible player like Komsarik....it makes no sense, for right now or the future..,..and oh yeah, start Bryz every game possible.....maybe even give Leaky Leighton a few more starts while you're at it...LOL!

• Like 2