Thomas traded to Isles

Islanders leading the league in players who don't want to play hockey for the Islanders. (e3)

Just for the record, and this stuns me everytime I remember it, the Islanders are STILL taking a $2.2M cap hit for Yashin - and for the next two years.

And they still have $21M under the cap... (pending Thomas)

• Like 1

Seems to be cap related. The Islanders needed to get to the cap floor by tomorrow.

Traded for a conditional second round pick in 2014 or 15 .....as per twitter.

exactly...‎"@Real_ESPNLeBrun Just so people are clear, Tim Thomas still doesn't plan on playing this season. This a cap move by the Isles."

exactly...‎"@Real_ESPNLeBrun Just so people are clear, Tim Thomas still doesn't plan on playing this season. This a cap move by the Isles."

But why would the Islanders just give away a second round pick?? Seems like far to much for someone who isn't going to play. Boston could of taken a 7th rounder.

But why would the Islanders just give away a second round pick?? Seems like far to much for someone who isn't going to play. Boston could of taken a 7th rounder.

the pick is only if he plays for the islanders.it just a cap move move for both teams

Good pick up if the Isles can get the right wing nut job out of his bunker and back on the ice.

Maybe they can, if they let him watch Fox News in the locker room, and lead team discussions about 'white brotherhood' :)

Edited by jackhole

Just so people are clear, Tim Thomas still doesn't plan on playing this season. This a cap move by the Isles."

Ah, but there is another reason why the the Islanders traded for Thomas......see Tim Thomas has always wanted to play on the Island. ;)

Zeitgeist: Tim Thomas Excited to Join Islanders, Revive Bull Moose Party

thomas-tr.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Outspoken goalie Tim Thomas, acquired Thursday by the New York Islanders, sees his new team as an opportunity to re-launch Teddy Roosevelt's Progressive Party.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (IFP) _ For Tim Thomas, getting traded to Long Island is a dream come true. But not because of the New York Islanders.

The Islanders acquired the politically-active goaltender from Boston on Thursday and Thomas announced via Facebook his plan on move into Theodore Roosevelt's old home and continue the former president's work by organizing a new Progressive Party.

"T.R. could see, even back then, that the government was out of control with corporate corruption and graft," Thomas posted from his bunker in the Rocky Mountains. "I plan on continuing his late-life's mission to lead this great country out of the muck. This trade is a sign from God. A new Bull Moose party is needed."

Thomas has long admired Roosevelt's aggressive, trust-busting stance against big business. On his ranch in Colorado, Thomas raises his own livestock, uses coal for heat and crafts his own homemade bullets and bayonets.

"My government isn't dictated by robber barons and carpet baggers," Thomas wrote. "The only voice that matters is that of the citizens of the United States."

Roosevelt joined the Progressive Party after a heated split with the Republicans. His philosophical differences with William Howard Taft, who had succeeded him as U.S. President in 1909, led Roosevelt to seek a third term in office with the alternative party founded on the principles of "dissolving the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics." In the 1912 presidential election, Roosevelt placed second, losing to Woodrow Wilson in the highest finish for a third party in U.S. history.

During a campaign stop in Milwaukee, Roosevelt was shot in the chest by a would-be assassin. He survived, saying, "It will take more than that to kill a Bull Moose." And thus, the Progressive Party received its more colorful name.

Roosevelt lived on Long Island from 1885 to his death in 1919. Sagamore Hill, know as his "Summer White House," is located in Oyster Bay and is currently classified as a State Park.

Thomas said he plans on challenging the government's "oppressive and restrictive monopoly on historical homes" as soon as possible.

"Citizens should be free to live where they desire," Thomas wrote. "And if I choose to live in a 150-year-old house with tiny, uncomfortable furniture, drafty windows, stuffed wildlife on the walls and velvet ropes blocking off hallways, then I should be able to."

The Islanders traded a conditional second round draft choice to the Bruins for Thomas' rights. Boston will only receive the pick if Thomas plays one game for any NHL team. He had decided at the end of last season to remain out of hockey this year, so his exuberance for joining the Islanders has taken the team by surprise.

"When (Bruins GM) Peter (Chiarelli) and I made the trade, we were pretty sure he wasn't coming," Islanders general manager Garth Snow said. "But when I talked to Tim, he started ranting about restricting lobbyists, direct elections of senators and women's suffrage. To be honest, I didn't get a word in edgewise before he said he was on his way here."

Thomas also noted on his Facebook page that he wasn't too familiar with the Islanders' current roster but was looking forward to playing with young American stars Bill Guerin and Doug Weight.

Thomas plans on taking a steam locomotive to Long Island and expects to arrive sometime in March.