McGinn vs JVR

Guest hf101

37 members have voted

1. 1. Better Power Forward

@radoran

@Digityman

@King Knut

I think this comparison needs to be kept in context. Apples to Apples, Compare Tye McGinn rookie year to JVR's rookie year.

Was JVR promoted to the first line his rookie year? Did his linemates ever comment that he made space for them, or that he made sound defensive plays? He creates opposition turnovers.

Also don't forget that McGinn put up over 60 points in his last two years of junior.

In JVR's first full season he scored 15 goals and 35pts. Divide that in half to compare to this shortened season and JVR scored approximately 16, 17 points. McGinn has 3 points thus far and is on pace for 19. If he truely has found a nitch on the first line with Giroux and Briere, he just may exceed the 19 points.

to pick up a gem like this in the 4th round, 119th overall tells us what we already know, the Flyers know thier forwards and how to scout them.

Just a pisser that the year we have a high pick, the draft class was not so hot. That said (and I was not that high on him before), Kyle Turris has finally found his game in Ottawa (nearly PPG). The Schenn / JVR trade is looking like a bust thus far. I like that Luke hits, but I just wish he would play with more smarts. He needs ALLOT of coaching and ALLOT of work on his skating.

The thing with JVR and Turris is that both players are getting first line minutes. Both are finally executing. Luke is young, but man is he raw. None of us could forecast Hartnell being down (snickers). But JVR never put it together here. I think in the end, unless coaching can turn Schenn around, we will have lost on that trade.

If he truely has found a nitch on the first line with Giroux and Briere, he just may exceed the 19 points.

I agree with all your points. The thing is if he (McGinn) buys time and space for the smurfs, that does not show up on the score sheet and something, depsite JVR's stature, JVR could never do.

Truthfully, the conversation should be about L. Schenn v. JVR at this stage. I am completely underwhelmed by L. Schenn at this point. Yet he is young, but man does he need a ton of coaching and conditioning.

Truthfully, the conversation should be about L. Schenn v. JVR at this stage. I am completely underwhelmed by L. Schenn at this point. Yet he is young, but man does he need a ton of coaching and conditioning.

That could be another discussion. I really wasn't focusing on the trade but how McGinn has quickly replaced JVR as a power forward on the Flyers.

I'm not missing JVR on the team this year at all.

That could be another discussion. I really wasn't focusing on the trade but how McGinn has quickly replaced JVR as a power forward on the Flyers.

I'm not missing JVR on the team this year at all.

Agreed on all points. Was JVR ever a power-forward??

I guess at the end of the day, what McGinn brings to the table v. JVR is more valuable to this team (when fully healthy). He is a young Knuble in the making imho.

apples to apples, the Flyers had Richards, Crater, Briere, Giroux, Hartnell, Gagne in the Top Six. JVR wasn't given top line minutes because there were no top line minutes to be had.

That said, he scored 15 goals - as noted - playing primarily third line minutes.

"Time and" Ty McGinn has looked good on the top line for a few games. I hope it continues. But he's on the top line by accident, not by design. Before we go all goo goo googley over him, he had 12 goals and 18 points in 63 games for the Phantoms last year...

• Like 1

McGinn ...[is] on the top line by accident, not by design.

Very true. L.Schenn has been on again/off again, but JVR has been the real deal for the Leafs. It may take more than this abbeviated season to truly evaluate the trade (which I suppose could be said of just about any and all trades.) First, blush: the Flyers lost.